Legal advice - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Legal advice

Steinjager TJ tube doorsAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 12-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Ok so my situation is, my jeeps motor had an issue of the timing chain guides broke and clogged my oil passages, and I had a wheeling buddy that works where I work recommend a guy that has a shop, I trusted him ( # 1 mistake ) and 3 weeks ago the guy came to tow my jeep, we talked for an hour about what all he was going going todo, he towed my jeep to his shop and things have been complete crap since. Iv had no kind of update about the progress of the repair, ever time is ask him how soon it'll be done its idk. What are my options? My other co worked want me to go to the law and report theft by deception, my situation is I'm moving in 9 days and need my jeep bad! Please if anyone has advice please help me.

Larryftmfw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Star

Go see your truck so you can see if anything was done hopefully nothing is apart yet. Pay him for the tow, and have your truck taken to a different shop. I've worked in shops, and he sounds like a guy who stacks work then gets to it after the other ten cars outside. Is the lot full of vehicles? If you get any static by all means call the law.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Yep, line up your own tow and a new shop. Go to the current shop and get him to write up a bill for the tow and current work that has been completed. Load the Jeep onto the new tow truck and leave.

If he can't show you the Jeep or refuses, that is when the law gets involved. As of right now he hasn't done anything illegal, he's just a bad mechanic.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

He's the thing I'm most mad at myself about, I don't know the location of the shop it's at, and he won't tell me where it's at unless I pay him.
image-3945837035.jpg   image-3884398716.jpg  
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
threeb

2004 LJ Wrangler 

You should ask your co worker where this guys place is and see it.
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
JK4doors
2012 JK Wrangler 

Don't pay anything until u see ur jeep. Depending on the laws in your area, he has a right to hold it until u pay for services rendered. But u have rights too. Call the law if he won't let u see it
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:55 PM   #7
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Now what if it's a personal shop not an actual certified and insured shop? I deff won't be paying a cent until I see it and its fixed. After 4 weeks if it isn't fixed he doesn't deserve a dime in my book.
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:58 PM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Is there a work order that was signed?

There are plenty of ways to really make his life hell if he is just working out of his garage. If he continues to be a jerk about it, then do those.
Unread 12-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #9
Star

You sound like you're trying to be nice about it., and It's understandable he wants something. However this isn't the right way to do it, and you might need outside intervention to make sure you're not taken advantage of. He sounds like the type that might do something to your vehicle if he's not made happy. From my time in shops I feel this isn't right call the police, and give them the number.
Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #10
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut
Is there a work order that was signed?

There are plenty of ways to really make his life hell if he is just working out of his garage. If he continues to be a jerk about it, then do those.
No work order was signed, and that's my last resort.
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #11
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star
You sound like you're trying to be nice about it., and It's understandable he wants something.Nowever from my time in shops this isn't right call the police, and give them the number.
I think that's my only other option as of now, I'm going to talk to him Monday, and if he can't give me a reasonable answer than ill just get the cops involved. If it comes to that how should I do it? Go to the police station I guess is my only option?
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #12
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

First step is to find out how much work has been done. In reality he should meet you where the Jeep is, so that as soon as he gets paid, you get the Jeep.
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:06 PM   #13
elcorvino
2003 WJ 

Just my opinion? If you are moving in 9 days and likely have other **** to worry about; as long as you aren't hurting for the $$$, just give the dude the $200 for what ever work he claims he did and write it off as you got hosed and got off easy. You don't have a lot of time to screw around with this nonsense. If you weren't moving, I'd tell you go after him on principle, but if you do that now you may screw yourself.
elcorvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #14
Larryftmfw
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcorvino
Just my opinion? If you are moving in 9 days and likely have other **** to worry about; as long as you aren't hurting for the $$$, just give the dude the $200 for what ever work he claims he did and write it off as you got hosed and got off easy. You don't have a lot of time to screw around with this nonsense. If you weren't moving, I'd tell you go after him on principle, but if you do that now you may screw yourself.
That was almost 2 weeks ago so I'm sure now he'll want even more... And I'm pretty hurting cause iv got the house and a wedding dec 31's to pay for lol
Unread 12-08-2012, 10:12 PM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Don't give him a dime until you are sure you are getting back everything that the Jeep went to him with.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.