laptop HP or Dell? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > laptop HP or Dell?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 01-03-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
red96jeep

laptop HP or Dell?

i'm gettina a lap top for college, what should i get an hp or a dell. both with same options i think the hp's are a little bit more money. but what you you guys reccomend

Rocky Mountain Edition Club member #4
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
red96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
NYCXJ90
1990 XJ Cherokee 

HP, I have a Dell and thier customer service is HORRIBLE.
NYPD Jeep Club Member #2
Marine Corps Jeep Club Member #3
So I tell the swampdonkey to sock it before I give her a trunky in the tradesman's entrance and I have her lick me yardballs.
NYCXJ90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #3
madmikey
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Dell,I have an HP and their customer sevice sucks
madmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCXJ90
HP, I have a Dell and thier customer service is HORRIBLE.
HP's support sucks *** too. Can't recommend either of them. This is my second and LAST HP that I'll ever buy. First one never had a problem out of or a reason to call tech support. With this one I had to, and they were not in the least bit helpful, had bad english and were rather rude.
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:11 PM   #5
zaq123
1941 JK Wrangler 

Acer, very good laptop. A few $100s less for the same setup as HP minus all that junk that come preloaded on HP. It's European company and now they make their way here, in US. A just got one and love it. I was about to get HP one as well.

If you must decide between HP and Dell, HP for sure. As said above, support sucks for both Dell and HP, dell sucks more though. You better learn indian language to figure out wth they are saying, no pun intended
zaq123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:13 PM   #6
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaq123
Acer, very good laptop. A few $100s less for the same setup as HP minus all that junk that come preloaded on HP. It's European company and now they make their way here, in US. A just got one and love it. I was about to get HP one as well.

If you must decide between HP and Dell, HP for sure
Acer has been around for quite a while as a motherboard supplier here. Yeah, I forgot about all the JUNK that HPs come preloaded with. None of it is needed at all, well, Works is nice, but other than that, wipe the rest of it off!
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #7
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Buy a MAC!!!
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build threadhttp://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/free-wife-good-home-pics-included-528892/
dogbluedrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #8
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

I like hp's. Dell seems to cost more for what you get. I have a hp laptop and a hp desktop now and have no problems with them. The hp desktop I had before was good too. I had an issue with it not picking up the network and called customer service. They walked me through a few things and within 20 or 30 minutes it was fixed.

Oh and macs are for hippies!
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:15 PM   #9
CoriolisSTORM
BURN IT DOWN POOKIE!!!

2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbluedrummer
Buy a MAC!!!
Hey you in the corner, SHUT UP and SET YER *** DOWN! Some of us can't afford the awesomeness that would be a Macbook Pro. (The fully spec'd out one I want is in excess of 4 grand! A Mini as a multimedia center would be great too, but it gets to wait as well.)
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:18 PM   #10
5artist5
1972 CJ5 

I say get a Toshiba. I think they are one of the best mainstream laptops.
I would say if you can afford it get an alienware their customer service is really top notch.
Also My GF has one of the low end macbooks and it rocks. it's really lightweight and it has been 100 percent trouble free for the last year.

72 CJ5 258-3spd d30-d20-d44
[QUOTE=Bsktbll109;6293409]Does your rearend guy do gears?[/QUOTE]
5artist5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:21 PM   #11
KKiowaTJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Out of thoes two, Id pick the HP, Dell is junk, Not a day went by that it wouldent mess up. So i bought a Sony Vaio laptop, Its perfect, I would reccomend a vaio, You dont have to get the top of the line one.
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:26 PM   #12
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had an Acer laptop about 10 years ago. It worked. Things have changed a lot in 10 years though.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5artist5
I say get a Toshiba. I think they are one of the best mainstream laptops.
I would say if you can afford it get an alienware their customer service is really top notch.
Also My GF has one of the low end macbooks and it rocks. it's really lightweight and it has been 100 percent trouble free for the last year.
I'm on my second Toshiba in 6 years and it's a great laptop. No problems.
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:36 PM   #14
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

well i have had both in question:

hp pavilion ze4900 and a Dell Latitude X1

Dell's customer service is fine (though mine is through a large university department which buys solely from dell), and the product isnt made to look good, it's made to just work.

the HP's service I didnt even have to use, but the damn AC Adaptor broke in about a year. The wires came from the surge box, rendering it useless. I had to spend another $100 on a new adaptor.

Check out our shirts in the Vendor Display Forum!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2008, 03:50 PM   #15
red96jeep

ok i think i'm gonna settle on the sony VIAO a friend has one and i really like it, plus its sony so it's gotta be good, and i'm getting it with vista, 2 ghz dual core procsser, 2 gig's of ram 120 gig HD, 15 inch screen, and Nvidia Gforce 8400MT graphics card(the only one offered). it's about a grand with out shipping so i think it's a good deal what do you all think?
Rocky Mountain Edition Club member #4
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
red96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.