Laptop Coolers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Laptop Coolers?

Savvy FOX IFP 4" Lift Shocks in StockSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank Skid

Unread 01-05-2010, 07:29 AM   #1
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Laptop Coolers?

Alright, I have a Toshiba Satellite series laptop....which I'm beginning to hate. I've had it for about 2.5 years i think and it's always had one flaw that really bugs me, it gets reallllly hot. It's gotten hot to the point where it has shut off and gone into protect mode. I'm actually thinking about getting a new laptop because vista is getting old to me (it has stupid quirks that bug me) and my laptop seems to be falling apart...a key broke off, the grill in front of the cooling fan output is missing grill slots because the insane heat made them weak and they basically broke off.

Are there any coolers out there that you computer guys/girls recommend?

This one got pretty good reviews off some computer website

Amazon.com: Zalman Ultra-Quiet Notebook Cooler, Model ZM-NC1000 (Black): Electronics

Unread 01-05-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

One of the important things is to look where all the vents are on the bottom of your Toshiba and match it to where the fans/vents are on the cooler. Some that work great for some models of laptop won't on others simply b/c the cooling intake/exhaust vents are in different areas.

I ended up with a Targus but the Zalman that you're looking at also got good reviews from what I remember when I was researching. Good thing is no matter what you end up with, they're all pretty much under $50.
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:06 AM   #3
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

Just take the cooler off you XB and use that...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #4
KeeptheJeep
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99 View Post
One of the important things is to look where all the vents are on the bottom of your Toshiba and match it to where the fans/vents are on the cooler. Some that work great for some models of laptop won't on others simply b/c the cooling intake/exhaust vents are in different areas..
This^^^

and
Anything by Antec is solid. This will cost you around $40
http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=NzI=
KeeptheJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

I have that exact cooler..its great! sounds like a medow breeze (im intoxicated!0

i just bought a Hp quad core BEAST that has enough fans to cool a korean whore house..i had it..fixed up.

I now use it to cool my router and modem

I also have another one that I got from the Px here on base..I dont use it much unless I have swamp butt and I sit on it for a cooling/drying effect.

make sure the vents are in the right spot too..cause cool plastic dosent do much but feel good
'06 MegaCab Cummins- Great White
neatocj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

maybe put a AEV heat reduction hood on it?
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:37 AM   #7
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatocj View Post
(im intoxicated!0
Dude... its 930am on a Tuesday... WTF?
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
neatocj
1981 CJ5 

hey scooter....I already told you. i am stationed in south korea.

Its 1241 AM on wed here. pfft im not a alcoholic....on the weekdays atleast
Unread 01-05-2010, 09:46 AM   #9
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinTJ99 View Post
One of the important things is to look where all the vents are on the bottom of your Toshiba and match it to where the fans/vents are on the cooler. Some that work great for some models of laptop won't on others simply b/c the cooling intake/exhaust vents are in different areas.

I ended up with a Targus but the Zalman that you're looking at also got good reviews from what I remember when I was researching. Good thing is no matter what you end up with, they're all pretty much under $50.
Thanks for the info man. I'm gonna look at the one in the OP, the targus and the antec suggested. No more excessive heat for me thank you haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neatocj View Post
maybe put a AEV heat reduction hood on it?
This.
Unread 01-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #10
99goldxj
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I gone through two coolers. First one was a cheapy, can't remember the name of it. The power cord or power cord input is bad. I replaced it with a Swiss Gear cooler which crapped out on me. Gotta get a new one this week as the first one is not working all the time.
99goldxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

Keeping your fan and its vents clean and free of debris will also really help. If you don't already, keep a can of compressed air around to clean it our periodically. Few other important factors are to make sure the fans match up with the placement of where the fan is on your laptop. Also make sure the fans draw warm air out, instead of blowing up into the case.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 07:35 PM   #12
SilverBullot
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Try propping the rear of the laptop up with a textbook. It puts an incline on it, increasing airflow underneath the computer. Just make sure not to block any fans or vents
(ಠ_ృ)
97 TJ A/C Compressor for SALE!
SilverBullot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #13
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006sport View Post
Alright, I have a Toshiba Satellite series laptop....which I'm beginning to hate....Are there any coolers out there that you computer guys/girls recommend?
Get a Mac. It will be plenty cool for you (:

Sorry - couldn't resist.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:06 PM   #14
Scooter_Trash
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Get a Mac. It will be plenty cool for you (:

Sorry - couldn't resist.
Ummm, the GPU diode on my MacBook Pro is running at 130º right now (and the only thing running is Chrome). I've seen it go over 185º and that is "normal" according to all the Mac Pro's out there. I vaguely remember seeing it hit 205º but I was doing some movie editing, uploading, and on the net at the same time.
Scooter_Trash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-05-2010, 08:11 PM   #15
LalanP111
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I have a cheap thing I got from Staples. It has two fans and sits the computer up about 2 cm.. gets kinda noisy but it always goes away. It keeps my laptop cool though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
It takes care of me and in return, I take care of it. Takes me away from everything I don't want to be around, and back again when needed...
LalanP111 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.