Landlord Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Landlord Problems

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 11-07-2013, 02:53 PM   #1
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Landlord Problems

Probably isn't the best place for this, but I need some help from someone who isn't part of this dilemma.

The situation: We are renting a house from Core Realty in Flagstaff, AZ. When we moved in, the place was filthy. The carpets were full of dirt, walls had small holes everywhere, and things were just in terrible shape. Now we had 2 puppies that were only outdoor dogs that tore the screen door to the backyard apart. Core Realty sends handymen out to fix it. In doing so, they "fixed" the screen door by replacing it with a cheap door that doesn't fit. There is a large gap all the way around the door, plus it doesn't close. This plus there was an oil stain on the side of the house on the concrete that they "supposedly" cleaned up, but the stain is still there. Now they want to charge us $260 for the door and the stain removal, which none of it works or is cleaned up (door cost $50, and the cleaner, which was just a home depot liquid cleaner, cost $34). They did a walk through before this was all set up and told us to fix it. 2 weeks later they hired these guys without our approval. We thought we had until June of 2014 (lease ends).

Now they told us about the charges a couple days ago, but the very next day they said they will charge us late fees if not paid by that day. We want to protest the charges and the work, but they told us to basically suck it up and pay even though it's not fixed. Now that we told them about it, they still want us to pay, but they are also sending an employee to do a complete walk through of the house to see if there is any other damages.

More about the company: They don't return phone calls, they call a different roommate every time without calling the person on the head of the lease, they don't fix what we told them to fix when we first moved in (wasps, dirty floors and carpets, the garage door doesn't close correctly), and their customer service is terrible. They are supposedly a "High end realty company" but that is far from true with renting from these scums. Also, they put the house up for sale a month after we moved into the house and expect us to clean the house every time they have people come to take a look at it. Everyone in the place works full time plus school and there isn't a lot of time to clean the place up whenever they have people come on "their" time.

Is this fair to do?

Unread 11-07-2013, 05:20 PM   #2
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a bunch of thieves. I had a friend that had a similar management company. The so called repairman would say that he did work to the property owner, that he didn't do and still billed for it, and as well failed to repair unsafe conditions. In one case, the repairman installed a new dish washer and removed the new motor and replaced it with a used one!

My friend ended up getting a hold of the property owner to make the case of the unsafe conditions, which the owner hired their own repairman to fix. However this infuriated the management co., who when my friend moved out, they made up lies about damage and conditions found in order to keep the deposit. I assisted with writing the management co. and the owner several letters, but nothing happened. The only thing my friend could do was to hire an attorney, but it was probably not worth the cost of doing so. I'm sure that they count on that.

Anyway, you could attempt to contact the owner, but if I were you I'd get out of that house. They'll just continue to screw you. And buy your own home as soon as you can. Good luck.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

No it's not fair. But I don't think fair counts in this situation. Unless you have a relative or close friend that's an attorney, they kind of have you by the short hairs and know it. Why am I thinking they'll find a way to keep your deposit too.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
Vote for the August Cherokee Of The Month here - Yes YOU!!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Without seeing the lease it's hard to advise.

If there was no walk through done when you first moved it, they would have a hard time forcing you to pay for damages now or when you move out. Hopefully YOU documented everything when you moved in, even if they didn't. This part will either go to your local tenancy board/advocate or to small claims depending on the amount of damage they try to claim.

Them putting the property up for sale is 100% ok, that is their right as the property owner. If they want to show it, they should be giving you appropriate notice and showing at a reasonable time (local tenancy laws will spell this out). It is also fair of them to expect the house to be in such a condition that it is showable.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
irnmadn88
2005 LJ Wrangler 

You are a college student? Have someone at your school's legal department read your lease.

There are usually clauses in the rental/lease agreement that outline such situations where the landlord needs to enter the premises. Such as a minimum 24 hour notice.
irnmadn88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you have pictures dated when you moved in, anything in writing about the conditions, and anything in your lease about fees and penalties in your lease you can file a claim in court yourself for relatively little money ($25 around here) but if you don't it in your word against theirs and they probably have more time and an attorney on retainer so you are going to lose.
My advice find another place and photo document EVERYTHING so if they try to come back at you for more you have proof.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:33 AM   #7
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

I dunno man, I am on the other side of this issue. Mind you, I had my own Landlord issues in college that I caused, but at the time blamed my landlord for.

If they are trying to sell the property and are showing it, they need the house to be in good condition. I lived with 3 other college kids in a 4 bedroom house and know all about the condition of college houses. I am sure it is rarely clean. About the door, your dogs broke it, you need to fix it. If they are showing the house they can expect you fix the door in a reasonable amount of time. I don't see where you got the idea that you had until the end of the lease to fix it. Your dogs broke the door, fix it, or pay the company who did. It wasn't fixed right? Who cares its not your house.

I am to trying to be a dick. I just caused my own problems with my landlord in college and blamed him. Looking back on it, I wish I just took responsibility for what I did and moved on. Lesson learned...

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 06:55 AM   #8
DezertTJ
Lost

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Understandable, but to throw another factor into the pot, the invoice for the repairs and labor was dated 2 days before the work even started.
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:09 AM   #9
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DezertTJ View Post
Understandable, but to throw another factor into the pot, the invoice for the repairs and labor was dated 2 days before the work even started.
Ok that's odd. How would they know the labor costs before the work started? Interesting....Seems real fishy then.

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #10
Indy

Not really on the last bit. Call any car repair shop and they will give you an r and r cost for any repair. If a screen door costs 200 and on average an hour to replace, thats the base cost. Invoice is often a bid, turns into a bill once the work is done.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Fixed price work is normal and the invoice could be dated whenever. There should have been a work completed date on it somewhere and a signature accepting the work as complete, otherwise it won't stand up in court.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

As a landlord this is my 2 cents. If you damaged the door you are responsible to pay for it. The value of the door is a real and you destroyed it so you owe the money for it. If you rented the home with a screen door in good working order you are entitled to have a screen door in good working order, so they need to replace it if you have paid for it.

My advice would be to pay the bill and they take him to small claims court if you think you have a legit case.

According to my lease and the law in my state I can kick you out for damaging my property.

In my rentals I have no screen doors anymore, they just don't seem to survive very long. Even screen on the window disappear. It is like the sock in the dryer deal. Somewhere there is a **** load of screens, not sure where or why?

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:13 AM   #13
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

http://www.azhousing.gov/azcms/uploa...0-12-31-12.pdf
Arizona Landlord/ Tenant Act
Unread 11-08-2013, 11:32 AM   #14
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dngrs1 View Post
That is AZ law, things may be different in CA and probably are.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #15
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

I am under the impression that the OP is renting in Flagstaff, AZ.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.