landlord fridge issue - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > landlord fridge issue

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #16
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

How do you mess up a refrigerator? I mean, you keep it clean, what else is there to do? If you are having the appliances you install break all the time, maybe it because you are buying $100 used items off CL and expecting them to last 10 years. As a renter, I really only expect a few of pieces of equipment: A stove/oven, a fridge, a central HVAC unit and a water heater. A dishwasher would be nice, but not necessary. They don't have to be the nicest units, but they should function reliably.

jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 02:22 PM   #17
dooboy2112
2000 WJ 

Buy your own fridge.
dooboy2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #18
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Become a landlord and see what a tenants can do to a place, and appliances.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:34 PM   #19
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137 View Post
Does the lease state appliances are furnished by the landlord. If so then tell them you want a discount other wise your SOL. Nothing against the op but this is why I don't supply appliances in my apartment, people break things that aren't theirs.
If there is an ad saying the frignis there, or the fridge was there when they moved in it is advertised with a fridge. The fact they addressed the issue also proves the apt comes with the fridge.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2013, 09:41 PM   #20
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda View Post
My lease states that the appliances are there for the renter's convenience. If something happens to them, then it is up to my tenant to replace them. I even left him a push mower for the yard. However, I am not responsible for any of that.
Becareful. If you end up in court and the judge feels a "resonalbe person" would think these items were included buy the way you presented or advertised the home then they are included.

Unread 08-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #21
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

Well this has gotten more than a little off track...

To the OP, I actually went through a kinda similar situation while renting a property in NJ. The original fridge provided with the property sucked, and our food was spoiling. We were able to convince our landlord that the lack of a properly working refrigerator was a violation of the warranty of habitability (look this up, it changes from state to state and I see you're in PA), and he replaced it for us. That said, until he replaced it, we pretty much only had two days worth of food in the house at any point, so we didn't suffer that much of a loss. We looked up trying to get credit for it, but it seemed to be an uphill battle.

It all really comes down to how reasonable your landlord is. If you think you can get reimbursed, go for it and ask for $300-400, whatever you think is reasonable. If they tell you to sod off my feeling is that you're not going to have a leg to stand on in court. But I am no lawyer.
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:33 AM   #22
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

back on track. I am a landlord. If the tenants can prove that because of my negligence they suffered a loss that they would be able to recovery that loss, you may have to fight for it.

I have had refrigerators go out in the past, both in my home and in my rentals. I call Lowes the second I find out and have a new one delivered ASAP. If Lowes can’t get it quick enough I go get it myself, whether it is for my own home or a rental. As a landlord I feel it is important to take care of my tenants. Just like any business, I work for my customers/tenants.

If they are screwing up things then I would work on eviction. I have never had an issue in the 6 years I have had rentals. I would guess my lack of issue has allot to do with how I treat my tenants and me being selective about who I rent to.

OP, check to see if your renters insurance covers it?

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #23
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Not sure what all if the bickering is about. The law tends to be lengthy and "clear" when it comes to this sort of thing. Just check your local rights as a tenant, the laws always seems to favor the tenant.
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:28 AM   #24
Monkeybomber
2013 JK Wrangler 

^ That's just it, the laws aren't really that clear depending on the state. In NY, they're as clear as can be and they favor the renter heavily because of NYC. But when we were looking into suing our landlord because the power went out and he told us to fix it ourselves, the laws weren't completely obvious, with a whole lot of vague language.

Generally a tenant lawyer will offer you a phone consultation for free so you can better stake out what your options. It's probably a lot more helpful than a bunch of people on a jeepforum I'd wager.
Monkeybomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:38 AM   #25
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybomber View Post
^ That's just it, the laws aren't really that clear depending on the state. In NY, they're as clear as can be and they favor the renter heavily because of NYC. But when we were looking into suing our landlord because the power went out and he told us to fix it ourselves, the laws weren't completely obvious, with a whole lot of vague language.
Generally a tenant lawyer will offer you a phone consultation for free so you can better stake out what your options. It's probably a lot more helpful than a bunch of people on a jeepforum I'd wager.
This is often the case with about any law. If you want to pursue soemthing like this it can often be more work than it is worth.

Unread 08-27-2013, 12:43 AM   #26
jumbojeepman
1976 CJ7 

Just a funny story here for some levity: My landlord at my previous house was a guy who had a lot of rental properties in our area. He liked me because I paid on time and generally fixed anything wrong with the house that I could and only called him for emergencies (like the heat or water not working.) So one day he came by the pick up the rent and I told him the stove (probably 25 years old) had stopped working, and to pick me up an element and I would put it in. I went outside a couple of hours later and a new stove (in the box) was sitting in my driveway. He didn't even blow the horn to let me know it was there. Then I had to lug it in myself through a door it just barely fit through. Sadly he passed away a couple of years later and his worthless son got the house. My heat was broken for 2 months (in November and December) and I let told him I'd be out at the end of the next month. Luckily someone I knew approached me with a great deal on another house the same day!
jumbojeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 02:37 PM   #27
black05tj
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
I never understood this mentality in tenants. I've been living in my apartment for three years, and I take care of all of the appliances as if they were mine. I'm paying to live there and rent the equpiment, might as well keep it tidy...who wants to live in filth?
You'd be surprised... People can be nasty as hell.

My dad rented a place once. The people left the house a mess. Actually, they left dinner on the stove and never bothered to take the plates off the table. Oh, and they never bothered to tell him they were leaving. There was one corner in the living room where they made a little "trash can" by pushing the sofa and a chair together in a corner, and had tossed paper plates full of half eaten food in that area for what appeared to be as long as they were there (9 months or so). They also never washed clothes... the laundry room was a back porch add-on, about 12 by 20, and they had the entire thing filled 4 feet deep with dirty clothes. Guess they just went to goodwill and got more instead of washing the ones they had. The bathroom had never been cleaned, and the rest of the house you can imagine. The bedding was filthy and the whole place was disgusting.

This and delivering appliances in college completely soured my outlook on the "superiority" of the human race.

To the OP, good luck. It boils down to what kind of landlord you have, and how much the $ you're out is worth to you. Might be more of a headache than it's worth. Or he might give you a discount on the next months rent. His reaction when you bring it up should give you a hint of what you'll be up against.

I wouldn't count on getting much towards the eating out... There are plenty of non-perishable items you could have bought for eating at home (peanut butter and jelly, canned veggies, pasta, etc.) You might get the hundred back for perishables you lost though.

Last edited by black05tj; 08-27-2013 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: l
black05tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 05:41 PM   #28
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Becareful. If you end up in court and the judge feels a "resonalbe person" would think these items were included buy the way you presented or advertised the home then they are included.
I didn't advertise at all. Clearly explained about the appliances, and it is in writing in the lease.

The current tenant tends to fix things as they break, which saves me money. However, I am not sure if he even knows what a vacuum cleaner is, based on my last visit. If the fridge did break, I'd probably replace it since he mostly pays the rent on time.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2013, 07:30 PM   #29
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by toates89 View Post
Recently me and my 2 roommates moved into a new apartment.

we signed our lease on monday(8/12) because the realitor that would be leaving for vaction but our official lease would start that thursday(8/15). That monday I noticed the fridge didnt work. they didnt show up til thursday. which i was fine with because thats when our lease started, and we kept our food in the old apartment fridge which lease ended 8/15.

now its the 21st they brought over a used fridge saturday which didnt work as well and said that the new fridge which they ordered the week before, is coming today. since this time our cooler which we kept on ice as long as we could finally spoiled. so besides losing about 100 in groceries, we have been forced to eat out for all our meals for the last week and being 3 grown men that turns out to be 60 meals.

I asked for a credit towards next month and they said to call back later. I wanted to know what people thought would be a reasonable credit to ask for.

thanks
I'd ask for:
- Spoilage (lost groceries. Produce receipts f possible.)
- Half of costs of meals out (produce receipts if possible. I'm assuming you didn't go anywhere fancy.)
- Ref the figure that chowner gave, but factor that by 15-25%. (You didn't lose the use of the entire apartment, but it did impact your sustainability and personal finances.)

This should give you a figure still somewhere in the range of "reasonable" - but will give you room to haggle it down without losing your shirt.

And, it's really going to come down to your landlord. We moved out of a house where they had to replace the rear screen door, for instance. Standard 30"x80" sliding screen - they told me it was "special order" for something like $200.

Really? I've done commercial & residential maintenance. Getting $200 in 30"x80" sliding screen doors needs a pickup truck - because I'll get you six or seven of them, and probably better than you're replacing (because you're cheap, and I'm not.) Pull the other one...

We willing left the deposit because we knew some cleaning up and work needed to be done. Not all of it was our fault, but we figured it would work out.

They got sticky with us, wanting another five grand or so for repairs! I sent them "before & after" pix of the main breaker box, several outlets & switch boxes, and the "wiring job" that went out to the detached garage (using ROMEX, in ABS, buried 6" below grade...) with a note saying "Do you REALLY want to push this? If you do, you may as well give us our deposit back now, plus $10,000 or so..."

BEFORE - Loose, live wires. Work nowhere near code. Wiring colours crossed, creating unsafe conditions. ABS casing for garage electrical feed had holes, and was full of water. Garage "not supposed to have power," despite having electric lighting, an electric door opener (no way to open it manually,) electric outlets, and the main electric lawn sprinkler timer.

AFTER - Wiring neatly terminated. Unneeded wiring rendered inert. Work done to commercial code (it's what I know.) Wiring in MPOE resorted and properly coded - and labelled!

The garage bit was the last straw, which is why we moved out of there. The problem they had? They went & tangled with someone who actually knew MORE about this sort of thing than they did (commercial code - which is more stringent than residential. NFPA. OSHA. ADA.)

The matter got dropped. I try to be fair & reasonable, but I do know how to push back. My wife has been working in legal for the last 25 years, so she can handle the state Renter's Codes and suchlike - I'll hit 'em with health & safety violations.

A little research may prove informative, mind - you should be able to find the relevant laws online, starting at your State's official website.

Good luck!
Unread 08-27-2013, 08:08 PM   #30
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakuda View Post
I didn't advertise at all. Clearly explained about the appliances, and it is in writing in the lease.

The current tenant tends to fix things as they break, which saves me money. However, I am not sure if he even knows what a vacuum cleaner is, based on my last visit. If the fridge did break, I'd probably replace it since he mostly pays the rent on time.
If you or somebody representing opened the door, showed the place, told them the terms and there was a fridge you advertised / represented it with a fridge unless you were very clear (preferably written in the lease) that it did not come with a fridge.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.