landlord fridge issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > landlord fridge issue

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 08-21-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

landlord fridge issue

Recently me and my 2 roommates moved into a new apartment.

we signed our lease on monday(8/12) because the realitor that would be leaving for vaction but our official lease would start that thursday(8/15). That monday I noticed the fridge didnt work. they didnt show up til thursday. which i was fine with because thats when our lease started, and we kept our food in the old apartment fridge which lease ended 8/15.

now its the 21st they brought over a used fridge saturday which didnt work as well and said that the new fridge which they ordered the week before, is coming today. since this time our cooler which we kept on ice as long as we could finally spoiled. so besides losing about 100 in groceries, we have been forced to eat out for all our meals for the last week and being 3 grown men that turns out to be 60 meals.

I asked for a credit towards next month and they said to call back later. I wanted to know what people thought would be a reasonable credit to ask for.

thanks

toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:40 PM   #2
chowner
2014 WK 

Not sure of New York law, but in other states they have 24 hours to address major issues such as this. I would say you should ask for the following (monthly rent)/30 *(number of days without fridge)
chowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
toates89
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I was thinking 200 bones.

I got this number base off 3 meals a day 7 days, 21 meals * 3 people = 60 meals.

60 * 8(cost of carryout) =480 - 60 * 4(cost of cooking) = 240.
toates89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:30 PM   #4
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Does the lease state appliances are furnished by the landlord. If so then tell them you want a discount other wise your SOL. Nothing against the op but this is why I don't supply appliances in my apartment, people break things that aren't theirs.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #5
chowner
2014 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin6137 View Post
Does the lease state appliances are furnished by the landlord. If so then tell them you want a discount other wise your SOL. Nothing against the op but this is why I don't supply appliances in my apartment, people break things that aren't theirs.
We'll it's a good thing you are just an internet troll and don't actually own any rental properties.
Unread 08-21-2013, 06:43 PM   #6
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
We'll it's a good thing you are just an internet troll and don't actually own any rental properties.
How do you know this?
Unread 08-21-2013, 08:58 PM   #7
Indy

Local laws vary yada yada yada. Beyond that if you get any credit at all be happy. You r lease probaly is for the property only and doesn't mention any appliances. In court your only remedy would likely be an exit from the lease. You can't hold your landlord accountable for a billion in groceries that you chose to buy knowing your fridge didn't work and your choice to not buy more Ice. You definitely won't be able to recoup your eating out costs unless you can prove you only need to eat because of a faulty fridge.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
You have a single apartment for rent with no major appliances and people actually rent from you?
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #9
ajmorell

Quote:
Nothing against the op but this is why I don't supply appliances in my apartment, people break things that aren't theirs.
That's what security deposits are for
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 12:33 PM   #10
chowner
2014 WK 

Don't feed the troll
Unread 08-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #11
pushead

I had my landlord remove his fridge and stove and put mine in its place. I see no problem with not including either.
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #12
Indy

Yep. If you have/want nice appliances you'll want to supply your own. I keep functional items in my rentals. I see no need to put a $2k fridge in one so a renter can turn it into scrap for me.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chowner View Post
Wow I'm glad you know what I have better then me, thank you. I'm not sure exactly why you feel I'm a troll, just in my experience with tenants is they usually trash what is not theirs. A security deposit does not cover everything, its very easy to run up a few hundreds if not thousands in damages. But we aren't here to discuss this, as I said if the lease states the landlord will supply the appliances then fine op ask for compensation otherwise your SOL.
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
dakuda
Admin, Jeep in Pieces

1998 TJ Wrangler 

My lease states that the appliances are there for the renter's convenience. If something happens to them, then it is up to my tenant to replace them. I even left him a push mower for the yard. However, I am not responsible for any of that.

2013 Dodge Charger | 1998 Jeep Wrangler | Ramsey Winches | www.dakuda.com
dakuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Wow I'm glad you know what I have better then me, thank you. I'm not sure exactly why you feel I'm a troll, just in my experience with tenants is they usually trash what is not theirs. A security deposit does not cover everything, its very easy to run up a few hundreds if not thousands in damages. But we aren't here to discuss this, as I said if the lease states the landlord will supply the appliances then fine op ask for compensation otherwise your SOL.
I never understood this mentality in tenants. I've been living in my apartment for three years, and I take care of all of the appliances as if they were mine. I'm paying to live there and rent the equpiment, might as well keep it tidy...who wants to live in filth?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.