JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   landlord fridge issue (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/landlord-fridge-issue-1565312/)

toates89 08-21-2013 01:30 PM

landlord fridge issue

Recently me and my 2 roommates moved into a new apartment.

we signed our lease on monday(8/12) because the realitor that would be leaving for vaction but our official lease would start that thursday(8/15). That monday I noticed the fridge didnt work. they didnt show up til thursday. which i was fine with because thats when our lease started, and we kept our food in the old apartment fridge which lease ended 8/15.

now its the 21st they brought over a used fridge saturday which didnt work as well and said that the new fridge which they ordered the week before, is coming today. since this time our cooler which we kept on ice as long as we could finally spoiled. so besides losing about 100 in groceries, we have been forced to eat out for all our meals for the last week and being 3 grown men that turns out to be 60 meals.

I asked for a credit towards next month and they said to call back later. I wanted to know what people thought would be a reasonable credit to ask for.

thanks

chowner 08-21-2013 01:40 PM

Not sure of New York law, but in other states they have 24 hours to address major issues such as this. I would say you should ask for the following (monthly rent)/30 *(number of days without fridge)

toates89 08-21-2013 01:57 PM

I was thinking 200 bones.

I got this number base off 3 meals a day 7 days, 21 meals * 3 people = 60 meals.

60 * 8(cost of carryout) =480 - 60 * 4(cost of cooking) = 240.

austin6137 08-21-2013 04:30 PM

Does the lease state appliances are furnished by the landlord. If so then tell them you want a discount other wise your SOL. Nothing against the op but this is why I don't supply appliances in my apartment, people break things that aren't theirs.

chowner 08-21-2013 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin6137 (Post 15821103)
Does the lease state appliances are furnished by the landlord. If so then tell them you want a discount other wise your SOL. Nothing against the op but this is why I don't supply appliances in my apartment, people break things that aren't theirs.

We'll it's a good thing you are just an internet troll and don't actually own any rental properties.

TSEJEEPERS 08-21-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chowner (Post 15821194)
We'll it's a good thing you are just an internet troll and don't actually own any rental properties.

How do you know this?

Indy 08-21-2013 08:58 PM

Local laws vary yada yada yada. Beyond that if you get any credit at all be happy. You r lease probaly is for the property only and doesn't mention any appliances. In court your only remedy would likely be an exit from the lease. You can't hold your landlord accountable for a billion in groceries that you chose to buy knowing your fridge didn't work and your choice to not buy more Ice. You definitely won't be able to recoup your eating out costs unless you can prove you only need to eat because of a faulty fridge.

Spank 08-21-2013 11:45 PM

Quote:

You have a single apartment for rent with no major appliances and people actually rent from you?

ajmorell 08-22-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Nothing against the op but this is why I don't supply appliances in my apartment, people break things that aren't theirs.

That's what security deposits are for

chowner 08-22-2013 12:33 PM

Don't feed the troll

pushead 08-22-2013 01:58 PM

I had my landlord remove his fridge and stove and put mine in its place. I see no problem with not including either.

Indy 08-22-2013 03:20 PM

Yep. If you have/want nice appliances you'll want to supply your own. I keep functional items in my rentals. I see no need to put a $2k fridge in one so a renter can turn it into scrap for me.

austin6137 08-22-2013 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chowner (Post 15821194)

Wow I'm glad you know what I have better then me, thank you. I'm not sure exactly why you feel I'm a troll, just in my experience with tenants is they usually trash what is not theirs. A security deposit does not cover everything, its very easy to run up a few hundreds if not thousands in damages. But we aren't here to discuss this, as I said if the lease states the landlord will supply the appliances then fine op ask for compensation otherwise your SOL.

dakuda 08-22-2013 04:59 PM

My lease states that the appliances are there for the renter's convenience. If something happens to them, then it is up to my tenant to replace them. I even left him a push mower for the yard. However, I am not responsible for any of that.

Marconis 08-24-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by austin6137 (Post 15824992)
Wow I'm glad you know what I have better then me, thank you. I'm not sure exactly why you feel I'm a troll, just in my experience with tenants is they usually trash what is not theirs. A security deposit does not cover everything, its very easy to run up a few hundreds if not thousands in damages. But we aren't here to discuss this, as I said if the lease states the landlord will supply the appliances then fine op ask for compensation otherwise your SOL.

I never understood this mentality in tenants. I've been living in my apartment for three years, and I take care of all of the appliances as if they were mine. I'm paying to live there and rent the equpiment, might as well keep it tidy...who wants to live in filth?

The time now is 06:08 AM.