Land Rover LR4 (for the wife) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Land Rover LR4 (for the wife)

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-21-2010, 10:25 AM   #1
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Land Rover LR4 (for the wife)

What do you guys think? Her Expedition was damaged way worse than my Jeep in the hail storm, it is definately totaled (adjuster said repairs are probably more than the vehicles value). We went looking at just about every midsize SUV out there. Everything from the VW Tourag to the GMC Acadia to the Mercedes etc...She found the LR4 and fell in love. I had a Disco II years ago and loved it but it was constantly in the shop (just like my Jeep). It never actually broke down but always had an electrical issue or something. This is not a cheap vehicle and I wanted to see if any of you had any experience with an LR4 or LR3 before I go pick one up (I need to fly to Kansas City or Austin because the local dealers inventory was also hail damaged).

If you have experience, how do they handle off road compared to the JK? I know it is not a rock crawler but what about mud and dirt tracks. If we get this we will probably take it to Colorado a few times a year insteed of the Jeep but I still want to be able to do some "small" trail runs while we are there.

I know this is a lot of just rambling but I have several dealers calling with price quotes and only a few with the exact vehicle she wants so if I do this I want to do it now and am just typing as I think.

Any advice is appreciated

'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 10:48 AM   #2
Jared89
2011 JK Wrangler 

Talk to this guy. He is selling one.
2006 Land Rover LR3 HSE w/CPO 6yr./75k warranty - JkOwners.com - The Community for Jeep JK 4x4 Owners
Jared89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared89 View Post
Thanks but we are looking the LR4. Not an entirely new design but some really nice changes!
'08 Red Rock Unlimited Rubicon / AEV 2.75" Lift with Remote Reservoir Shocks / AEV Heat Reduction Hood / AEV Front & Rear Bumper with Tire Carrier / AEV Skidplates & Rear Corner Guards / Riddler Diff Covers / Mopar Enhanced Rock Rails / Warn 9.5ti Winch / Mopar Gas Cap Cover / 4.88 Gears / IPF 900xs Drive Beams / Eagle Eye HID Spotlights / Daniel Stern Headlights / 17" AEV Pintler Wheels with 35x12.5r17 BFG Mud-Terrain KM2's / Tuffy Security Drawer / sPod and Benchmark Dual Battery System / Cobra 75 CB / Lockpick with Front and Rear Cameras / Katzkin Heated Seats / Line-X Interior / Hitchsafe Key Vault / and a Trasharoo and a lot more little stuff or just stuff I forgot!!!

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 05-21-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
Woodchuck

2008 JK Wrangler 

Why was this moved? I know it is not entirely technical but I want to know how it compares to the JK on the trail as well. I posted it there so the JK owners would see it. Not *****ing...just questioning

____oooo
[ l_,[____],
l---L -[OlllllllO-
( )_) ( )_)-o-)_)
Unread 05-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
aontkos
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Do tons of research at discoweb.org. It's a good site.

Those guys know their Rovers. I don't know much about the LR4, but I do know a little about the LR3. They're excellent offroad, but I'm sure it'll end up with all of the electrical issues that the Discovery had. Rover is notorious for that, and the LR3 is way more computerized.
aontkos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

Get it for her and keep peace in the family. But since your opening this for advice to the whole universe, I'll put in my 2cents. My soon to be x-sister-in-law had some kind of a new LandRover and all my bro was doing was leaving work to bail her out jump-starting her in the Safeway parking lot and then taking it to the dealer for her. We're car guys but she never asked us about what to drive; she has pretensions of being in the "horsey" set.

The old ones are probably great if you're on Safari in Africa where they are understood.

Search and you'll find x-Rover service people who were almost family members because they saw so much of them--they're great for arriving for high-tea in style at the Ritz. Rover has had about four ownership changes BMC, BMW, Ford, and now TATA, (well come to think of it Jeep's had a few too, I'm brushing up on Italian).

I vote you do the right thing and get a Grand Cherokee SRT Hemi and take it to the drag-strip and take the JK 4 door to CO. But if you want to keep your wife get her the LR but it didn't help save my brother's marriage.

Sorry about your recent mis-fortunes and I think you've had some bad luck with your JK, but I've been lucky, my JK and TJ have never let me down or been in for warranty work.
Unread 05-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Russrover
2007 JK Wrangler 

I had an 04 Disco for a while, loved it, wheeled it. I know its not the LR3 or 4, but I had a ton of problems out of it.

Not too sure about Discobweb though. You will have to sift through piles of **** to find anything good, and Land Rovers Only sucks.

You said how are they offroad? Are you really going to wheel the LR4?

RED JEEP CLUB MEMBER #586
Russrover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #8
tennistom1
2009 JK Wrangler 

CAR and Driver magazine June 2010 page 128 has a review of a Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged.
Unread 05-21-2010, 03:46 PM   #9
aontkos
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Not too sure about Discobweb though. You will have to sift through piles of **** to find anything good, and Land Rovers Only sucks.
As with any online forum out there.....
aontkos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 05:33 PM   #10
Russrover
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aontkos View Post
As with any online forum out there.....
Especially with discoweb!

Unread 05-21-2010, 05:34 PM   #11
Russrover
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennistom1 View Post
CAR and Driver magazine June 2010 page 128 has a review of a Land Rover Range Rover Supercharged.
RRS and LR4 are two different vehicles......

Unread 05-21-2010, 06:19 PM   #12
KMET
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Oh c'mon Discoweb aint so bad... Its just as friendly as Pirate4x4

Also checkout Land Rover Repair Forums - LRRForums.com (Land Rover Repair Forum)
read the LR3/LR4 comparison

Have an 06 LR3 se (DiscoIII), and my third Land Rover.

Favorite options- Cold weather package & center console fridge (long winter trips to Montana) and its fast!!! (the LR4 has 75 more horses, but 19" wheel limit)

Good Luck!!!

o6 LJ see profile...
KMET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #13
TJJP77
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Land Rover is one of those brands that you lease (not buy) and then only if the lease term is less than or equal to the length of the warranty. As long as someone else is covering the bills and you can walk away from it after 3-4 years, then why not?
Sienna Jeep Club: Member #15
TJJP77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
KMET
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJJP77 View Post
Land Rover is one of those brands that you lease (not buy) and then only if the lease term is less than or equal to the length of the warranty. As long as someone else is covering the and you can walk away from it after 3-4 years, then why not?
Not always. Once you find something you like and it shown its reliability, I see no problem owning. It's personal choice of use, money, and mileage.

leased the first LR3, liked it... lease ended, bought one with the options I wanted. I feel good about my decision.

o6 LJ see profile...
KMET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2010, 08:29 PM   #15
Doctor7474
2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russrover View Post
RRS and LR4 are two different vehicles......
2 different bodies, and the RRSC frame is 6" shorter.
Doctor7474 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.