Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Knives

2K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  WhtJeep 
#1 ·
I love knives. I was shopping around for a while for a nice pocket knive that I could have for a while. I got the chive from Kershaw.

www.kershawknives.com

Anyone know of any other top knotch knive makers?

Sorry if this was done before but I did a search and came up dry.

#2 ·
Kershaws are great knives, I like the Scallions, in fact I have the Jeep Scallion too.

Benchmades are nice knives too, the ones with the Axis lock. But, I always end up carrying a Kershaw because of the assisted opening feature, they're fun to open and you get that nice twack sound.

#3 · (Edited)
OooH! Did you hit on one of my favorite Hobbies!!!!

Lone Wolf Knives
A.G. Russell Knives
Loveless
Harsey
Mel Pardue

Don't know how deeply you want to get into it. There are the brands available at
Cabellas etc. Then there are the custom makers, not always that much more $$ but you get something hand made, limited production.

Get the A.G. Russell "Gentlemens Knife" manufactured by Benchmade. It'll be your favorite!! I have about 35-36, I carry this one everyday.

#4 ·
Spyderco makes some of the coolest looking knives I've ever seen.

I can't remember the last time I needed to cut something that scissors wouldn't work on, so I don't own any knives. Looking at the Spyderco knives on their website I came closer to buying one than ever before.

#7 ·
I got the chive because I was looking for a pretty small thin knife that I could carry and not even know was in my pocket. I love the speed safe feature, it is a lot of fun to open up. I will definatly get one of the bigger knives with the speed safe later. I found that Walmart carries Kershaw knives now, I got mine for $30, they retail for $50.

Ill check out some of these other places. Anyone heard of these guys? They have a series with a assisted opening feature.

http://www.camillusknives.com/1mainframe.htm

#8 ·
RubiconSS said:
Thanks Scottcha! Now somebody knows what to get me for Xmas!
And if that one gets lonely heres another:
I do like the first one better than this one, which is why I have that one and not this one, but hey, collecting knives has nothing to do reasonableness

#9 ·
Suggested Retail is always higher than what you can actually get them for at the store. I have about 5-6 >$100 knives, but I still carry the little scallion ever day, it is only slightly bigger than the chive, but I'll agree both are great little knives to carry anywhere, well almost anywhere.

#10 ·
spyderco, kershaw, and cold steel are probably my top three for holding an edge.

Personally, the kershaw scallion knives have the most functional design for what I need my knives for.

#12 ·
xcmbike said:
I love knives. I was shopping around for a while for a nice pocket knive that I could have for a while. I got the chive from Kershaw.

www.kershawknives.com

Anyone know of any other top knotch knive makers?

Sorry if this was done before but I did a search and came up dry.
I've had mine for about 5 years, and use it a lot. It's a Ken Onion, I forget exactly what kind. It's half serated. Pick it up at Chesapeake Knife & Tool, for those in MD. It's an awsome knife. People always ask me why I carry it everywhere I go, and they stop asking questions once they need it. Anther vote for the Kershaw.

#13 ·
I just found that forum in a search. I got another 10 names to check out later.

Whats the most you would or have spent on a pocket knife?

#15 ·
xcmbike said:
I just found that forum in a search. I got another 10 names to check out later.

Whats the most you would or have spent on a pocket knife?

Just like any hobby - sky is the limit as far as cost.

How much do you "need" to spend? I assume you mean for a decent quality knife that will serve common daily needs - Cabella's has one for $9.99.
Generally: 25-35 dollars.
Good Quality: 40-100
Special : 100-150
Collectable: 175- Thousands

#17 ·
I have a couple that are in the $150 range. Emerson Mini Commander and Benchmade 722.

You can spend as much as you are willing, the skys the limit.

Don't let anyone convince you that those QVC 10 for $20 folding 'tactical' knives are just the same as a real knife. Those knives are dangerous to use and junk.

#18 ·
Been carrying the kershaw scallion for over a year now. But after 3 months of playing with it the assisted opeing feature didnt work anymore. I think I wore the spring out. I will send it back, but I dont want to not carry it.

Matt

#19 ·
el_chupo_ said:
Been carrying the kershaw scallion for over a year now. But after 3 months of playing with it the assisted opeing feature didnt work anymore. I think I wore the spring out. I will send it back, but I dont want to not carry it.

Matt
Send it back, Kershaw stands behing their products, made in the USA too. They will replace it most likely, or fix it to your satisfaction.

The 'spring' thing is actually a torsion bar, or just a bent piece of metal. It shouldn't ever wear out, but since your's isn't working, they will make it right.

#20 ·
xcmbike said:
Ill check out some of these other places. Anyone heard of these guys? They have a series with a assisted opening feature.

http://www.camillusknives.com/1mainframe.htm
Yeah, I carry a Camillus Tanto Heat . It's a great knife, I had never heard of the company until I went to an Outdoor Expo here at Bristol Motor Speedway. The Robo Power was what got me, the best part of this knife is opening it. :D
I couldn't get the link to work, but just go to the site and search "heat". I have the black coated, plain edge. :thumbsup:

#22 ·
I have contacted them and they said to send it back, I just cant stand not to have it. I constantly reach for it when I leave it at home. I did just get a Buck to keep in the heep, so Ill carry it until I get the Kershaw back. Thanks all

Matt

#24 ·
I carry a Kershaw Ken Onion in the trauma plate pocket of my bullet proof vest for "killin" and a United Cutlery Harley Davidson knife in my pocket for "cuttin." The Kershaw is razor sharp, but the edge seems softer on it than the United. That's why I carry them like I do. I'm just as likely to use a blade as a screwdriver as a knife. The United holds a good edge. I'd rather fuk up a 30 bucks knife than an 80.

#25 ·
jeepnguns said:
I have carried a spyderco every day for just about the last ten years great knives.
Ditto, except replace 10 years with 3. I love them. They hold an edge like no other. Any time I get any real damage or rust, spyderco has replaced it for like 5 bucks.

I also have a rainbow leek that my gf got me. Thats a cool looking knife.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.