Kel-Tec guns? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Kel-Tec guns?

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 12-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #1
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Kel-Tec guns?

Anyone own any of these? Or shot them?
I see quite a few of them for sale by some gun shops around here on a gun trader website. I'm looking at a PF9 for sale for my CCW. Its within my price range, looks easily concealed, and easy to draw in a hurry since its slim looking and nothing really to get caught on anything.

Any insight would be helpful.

this is the handgun in question.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #2
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I own none, but the general consensus i've heard about them is that they're cheap, reliable, and effective enough. Not tack drivers, but they always go bang. I shot a keltec carbine in 40 cal once and it worked impeccably, but that isn't really indicative of the quality of all of em.
Unread 12-03-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just need something that will go bang when I pull the trigger pretty much.
Something I'll take plinking every once in a while but mostly for self defense and to carry. Accuracy isn't that big of a deal because chances are when I have to use it, it will be within 10-20 feet, so its not hard to hit someone that close

Colbert 2016!
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:06 PM   #4
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Then you're probably fine. They're making some super cool stuff right now, like the pmr 30 and the KSG, and they have a reputation for making some cool guns and then not supplying enough (like they're doing nowadays). As far as other ideas, you might look at the Ruger LC9. Super slim, single stack 9mm with a similar profile that makes it easy to draw. They come with CT lasergrips as well (optional) for about $70 less than buying the gun and grip separate. I think we sell em for around $350 base model.
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #5
IH8PEPL
So glad its not a Fiat

2006 LJ Wrangler 

A Kel Tec is a gun I would keep in the garage, shed, or in a car as a "Just in case" firearm. Something that I wouldnt be too upset about if it got stolen or damaged.

Ive only fired a few Kel Tec's - for being a cheapo gun, it worked and did so without failure. I wasn't impressed by any means, cheap feel and horrible triggers. To me they always felt like they were built in some guys garage.

Have you looked at the Ruger LC9 as a CCW? Pretty much the same gun, only higher quality, more refined and not that much more $$$

WTB: M100 Lunette Eye
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:21 PM   #6
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'll second the nod for Ruger. Always overbuilt and very reliable.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #7
JeepN4KC
Keep on Jeepin on........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
I just need something that will go bang when I pull the trigger pretty much.
Something I'll take plinking every once in a while but mostly for self defense and to carry. Accuracy isn't that big of a deal because chances are when I have to use it, it will be within 10-20 feet, so its not hard to hit someone that close
It'll have to be with the tiny Kel-Tec in your hands.

Don't get me wrong - I have a Kel-Tec 380 auto and I like it. Small, very concealable even in lesser clad summer weather. Never had a jam when cycling rounds through it down range. Pretty accurate. But you're not gonna be dead on with this thing outside probably 10 yards. There just isn't enough to hold onto.

My Build Thread WK
My Other Build Thread XJ
'01 XJ with some stuff
Sept 2013 Cherokee of the Month
'07 WK with some other stuff
~RED WK CLUB #7~
'11 KK with mostly stock stuff
'06WK our first Jeep with stock stuff - totalled and gone
JeepN4KC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:28 PM   #8
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I was looking at the Kel-Tec because the one I found used for pretty cheap. The guy is asking $300 but I won't spend more than $225 on it seeing as I can buy one new for $250 on cheaperthandirt.com
But I will look into the LC9. I know a gun smith/shop owner and I'll talk to him and see what kind of deal he can get me on one or any other good handgun.
Theres also a couple pawn shops hear with some good guns I will be checking out tomorrow to see what they have.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
marksman1941
1989 XJ Cherokee 

For a carry gun I'd splurge a bit and buy something you can rely on, something you're comfortable with, and something proven.
Unread 12-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #10
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksman1941 View Post
For a carry gun I'd splurge a bit and buy something you can rely on, something you're comfortable with, and something proven.
I just might have to.
I'll go to a few pawn shops and see what they have then go to a few gun shops and see what they have and hold a few of them.

Colbert 2016!
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #11
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I can get that whole set up for $225. I will probably end up getting it. Its a good deal, leaves me some spending money as well since I gotta buy stuff for the heep as well so I can get all these parts out of my garage and on the jeep. lol

Colbert 2016!
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:32 PM   #12
Tdog02
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Kel-Tec is a good gun. The finish is weak so you will clean it frequently to keep rust away. No real problems to note. Every now and then you will find one that doesn't feed right when new. They have excellent customer service and will fix it. Don't worry that it's not a high-dollar piece, it works.

I'm a cop and firearms instructor. There are a lot of cops with these and they run good at the range. To qualify with it you shoot a 50 round course, three times a year. If you have a problem, try a different magazine first. Most problems are solved with a mag change.
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:51 PM   #13
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've heard really good things about the CZ pistols.

http://www.jgsales.com/cz-82-czech-9...r.-p-3050.html
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 07:58 PM   #14
IH8PEPL
So glad its not a Fiat

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity View Post
I've heard really good things about the CZ pistols.

http://www.jgsales.com/cz-82-czech-9...r.-p-3050.html
Thats a bit heavy and clunky for a CCW gun

WTB: M100 Lunette Eye
IH8PEPL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2012, 08:19 PM   #15
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IH8PEPL View Post
Thats a bit heavy and clunky for a CCW gun
I believe you described the gun twice with synonymous words.

But you are correct. I am looking at a cost to quality relation, rather than a cost to size relation. Most of the "sub" pistols I have shot (like the Kel tec in question) have poor reliability because of their insignificant size and weight. They have had problems with fail to ejects because they are hard to hold with large hands and don't weight very much which leads to limp wristing. But, with perfect practice comes perfect. If it's a suitable and comfortable gun for you, then it's the right one.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.