Keeping Traditions Alive - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Keeping Traditions Alive

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 02-16-2013, 09:22 AM   #1
jeepadmin
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Keeping Traditions Alive

So, I can't say I know the situation in your neck of the woods, but in SW Michigan, (namely Grand Rapids and the surrounding 50 mile radius), the Jeep wave is all but dead. I don't like that. To some it might seem cheesy or a little childish, and on some level, I'll admit I can understand their reasoning, but, like the ****ty mileage I get, I feel it comes at the cost of owning a Jeep. It shows you have Jeep pride! It IS like a cult! It's like there is some fraternal order of Jeep owners and we are communicating with each other, understanding each other, through a simple one second long gesture.
Anyway, For the past three years I've driven an 08 Rubicon Unlimited. I got about a 20% success rate. I blamed it on the face that some don't consider the JK a "real" Jeep, let alone a four door. **** you. I probably wheel more than half the TJs in Michigan. (But thats another rant.) But in the past two weeks, I've been riding in my 06 Rubicon that I recently purchased, and the success rate is no greater. As the acting president of a Jeep Club, I encourage all members to wave all Jeeps all the time. And I think all my guys are good at it because they believe in it like I do. But I think since Jeep has been marketing to the Mall crowds, and the middle class wealthy who want something thats 'good in the snow', we've seen this tradition go out the window.
So, believe it or not, I've started a campaign. I actually have three appointments with three different dealers in my area to discuss the importance of selling the customer on the Jeep wave when they take delivery. Will it be a joke to the sales guys? Probably. But if they understand that it's still there and most are still carrying it on, maybe they'll just mention it to the customers. I mean, some Jeep Sales guys actually believe in the wave!
Anyway, so I thought I'd share my complaint, and my plan. And I think it's not outrageous if you or your club does the same thing. Goto the dealers, ask for a 5 minute meeting with the sales guys, bring doughnuts, and tell them about the wave. It's also a great way to recruit new members and do some networking. Give it a consideration, and let me know how it goes.

Thanks all.

jeepadmin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #2
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh look, another wave thread.
Unread 02-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport
Qft
LJ Owners Group member #431.
threeb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #4
bradthebard
the faux feather finish

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Not a soul has waved at me in my chevy truck today. I passed like fitty of em too!

"...Indeed I have burned the candle at both ends, and it gave off such a glorious light..." - Christopher Hitchens
tales from the bard side
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard View Post
Theology is one hundred blind men searching a dark room for a black cat that isn't there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by schitzangiggles View Post
Atheism is one hundred blind men in a dark room claiming there is no black cat because they can't see it.
bradthebard is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradthebard
Not a soul has waved at me in my chevy truck today. I passed like fitty of em too!
I think if you wave with all your fingers others will wave back at you.
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #6
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
Yes, but this is the first guy who's actually done something about it. Huh.
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:25 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006_Sport View Post
No.

Another insecure person who needs the constant validation of others.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 12:41 PM   #8
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroGravity

Yes, but this is the first guy who's actually done something about it. Huh.
Yes but I'm confused about his overall authority. He stated he is the "acting" club president which caused me some concern. I am concerned that he may not have the authority from the actual club president to carry is plan out.
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
NonRubicon
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepadmin View Post
So, I can't say I know the situation in your neck of the woods, but in SW Michigan, (namely Grand Rapids and the surrounding 50 mile radius), the Jeep wave is all but dead. I don't like that. To some it might seem cheesy or a little childish, and on some level, I'll admit I can understand their reasoning, but, like the ****ty mileage I get, I feel it comes at the cost of owning a Jeep. It shows you have Jeep pride! It IS like a cult! It's like there is some fraternal order of Jeep owners and we are communicating with each other, understanding each other, through a simple one second long gesture.

Keeping the wave thread tradition alive

For what it's worth, sometimes I really don't give two sh*ts about waving to another Jeep. I have my bad days. Then there are other times when I happily wave. So it goes. I feel sorry for anyone who needs a wave from another Jeep owner in order to feel validation. Nothing to go home and cry about online when someone doesn't wave at you. Nor nothing to start a campaign over to spread the word about the wave so that you can get more waves and feel better about yourself. When did the Jeep wave become a contest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepadmin View Post
Anyway, For the past three years I've driven an 08 Rubicon Unlimited. I got about a 20% success rate. I blamed it on the face that some don't consider the JK a "real" Jeep, let alone a four door. **** you. I probably wheel more than half the TJs in Michigan.
IMHO, anyone Jeep owner who assumes they wheel more than someone else that they have never met nor talked to, and that somehow wheeling more makes them a better Jeep owner - that person can lick my taint. And then they can go kick rocks. It's simply presumptuous and rude, and not someone I would want in my "fraternal order".

NonRubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Maybe he is trying to get people laughed at by the sales team at dealerships. Or maybe he works at a dealership and wants free donuts?
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
funkduck
2002 WJ 

I've decided that I'm going to throw the shocker to anyone I see driving an Audi.
Unread 02-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #12
fatso
2005 WK 

Nice to know I have made it to middle class wealthy status! All this time I thought I bought my Jeep because it was a good deal on vehicle that holds value reasonably well, is nice to look it, comfy to sit, and can get me to work and wherever I need to go in any condition.

I bought my Harley to show off my middle class wealthy status. No one waves to me on that thing either. No Jeep wave or motorcycle wave. Go figure.
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #13
SunDevilJeeper
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Does it count if I wave my weiner instead, or is that no bueno? Cause I like to air it out sometimes and ya know... yeah...

Still not enough power.
SunDevilJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 04:33 PM   #14
ItsJustD
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Taking the wave thing a bit far?

I got 1000x more "waves" while riding my CBR than I ever got in my jeep.
ItsJustD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2013, 05:05 PM   #15
threeb
Web Wheeler

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsJustD
Taking the wave thing a bit far?

I got 1000x more "waves" while riding my CBR than I ever got in my jeep.
How many of them were soccer moms or more than two up?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.