Kayaks - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Kayaks

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-26-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
krs96XJ

Kayaks

I have been thinink about getting a kayak for the summer and was just wondering if any of you have one and if so what kind?
I am looking to get a new recreational kayak something that is good on lakes ponds and some light duty rapids like class I II or even III
thanks
later

Unread 03-27-2004, 10:51 PM   #2
krs96XJ

What no one has any Kayaks and you all drive Jeeps oh well i will just google it
Unread 03-27-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
04whiteTJ

I have two sit on top sea kayaks that are awesome on lakes and the ocean. Although they probably would not work on any Class rapids they are self bailing and have storage in front and rear if you want to do any over-nighters. I use mine on local lakes and abalone diving in the ocean.
New TJ Owners Club.......#7
04whiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2004, 01:18 PM   #4
kairo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

We have two pygmy kayaks that my dad and I built. One is an Arctic tern, and I'm not sure what the other one is
kairo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:28 AM   #5
evilpsych

get a wilderness systems rascal, easiest boat to learn on. Stable, you can fish, sleep, whitewater, whatever. I've had mine going in as little as 3" of moving water with a little creative body lean, and i'm 6' and 195lbs.

does ok in a wide variety of situations. I've had mine in the pacific on a choppy day w/ 10' swells, in lakes in central texas, on flats stalking redfish in the gulf of mexico, and on some mild whitewater in central texas, colorado, and california on class II's, (Lower Cache La Poudre in Colorado, Sespe in California, Guadalupe, and numerous TX rivers)

for class 3's or higher, get a decent whitewater boat, and a serious helmet. I'm not saying you *couldnt* do it in a larger boat like the rascal, but those smaller ones are much more manueverable but they will tip extremely easy. Longer boats tend to jam their nose under hidden rocks and flip you if you're in something too hairy.

the rascal is about, oh 8' long, with some storage under the back and a decent sized cockpit w/ adjustable footpegs.

cr@p. just noticed that wilderness ssytems no longer makes the rascal. closest thing to it is the small Pungo, and that thing's too damn big.

http://www.wildernesssystems.com

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 09:30 AM   #6
evilpsych

oh, and i've built em too.

'93 YJ, 4.0, K&N filter, Borla Header, Borla Cat-Back, Hi-Flo Cat, 3 Core Radiator, D-Rings, TruckNuts, MSD 6A, LockRite Locker in D30, Magnecors, Kickass Stereo, 1" daystar, 31" BFG AT's, Homemade Rocker Guards and Front/Rear air-tank bumpers with tire carrier, 15x8 AR-767 4"BS, BDS 3.5 HD lift, AMA A/C Kit, York OBA, GoFerIt 1" MML, 8,000lb HF/MM Winch, Magellan MAP 330 GPS, PRO-2067 500ch. Scanner, oh, and a CB capable of talking to SATURN!

"The Only Thing Necessary for Evil to Succeed is for Good Men to Do Nothing." - Edmund Burke
evilpsych is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 10:28 AM   #7
Saturdaynight

This is mine!

It's made by Dagger, but I forget what model it is and it's a few years old.

It's similar to this one
Let knowledge guide the way, not ignorance. Tread Lightly & Know your state auto regulations.

Last edited by Saturdaynight; 03-31-2004 at 10:30 AM..
Saturdaynight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2004, 11:34 AM   #8
SlinkyTJ
This space for rent.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04whiteTJ
I have two sit on top sea kayaks that are awesome on lakes and the ocean. Although they probably would not work on any Class rapids they are self bailing and have storage in front and rear if you want to do any over-nighters. I use mine on local lakes and abalone diving in the ocean.
I have the same thing. It works great for what I do, which is mainly paddling around in the Gulf surf and dropping off shark lines.
Unread 03-31-2004, 04:23 PM   #9
DougRuss

Just last year I upgraded to a Necky "Zoar Sport"......fun Kayak for Small Lakes and Rivers/Streams.

Hauled it around with my other toys.....

Vw's

Now that I got a 2001 Cherokee, getting it set up to haul it around......

Jeep

Going out Kayaking it a nice way to just get out and Relax for a few hours on the water !!

A good site with Forums for Kayaking is :

http://www.paddling.net/message/

Last edited by DougRuss; 03-31-2004 at 09:06 PM..
DougRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2004, 09:13 PM   #10
04whiteTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlinkyTJ
I have the same thing. It works great for what I do, which is mainly paddling around in the Gulf surf and dropping off shark lines.
SlinkyTJ, have you ever hauled your kayak with your Jeep. I was thinking about getting a Garvin rack and attaching the kayak to it.
New TJ Owners Club.......#7
04whiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.