K9 Protection Training Business *w/video* - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > K9 Protection Training Business *w/video*

WJ Shackle Tabs: Tow-Hook Replacements2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 12-26-2009, 05:53 PM   #1
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

K9 Protection Training Business *w/video*

So I am getting out of the Airforce in a couple months and I am wanting to open up a dog training business to train police K9's and personal protection dogs as well as breeding working German Shepherds. So I made this promotional video today of some clips I have during the training. What do you think?

Unread 12-26-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That's awesome man. I loved watchin that. German sheps are one of my fav breeds.

Definitely don't wanna **** with that dog.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 06:53 PM   #3
murrayII
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Nothing personal, but I think your "training program" is lacking... sure you have the dog "attacking" when you tell it to, but is seems like you are having trouble getting the dog to stop!

Granted, I am not a trainer at all... but why do you have to hit the dog with a stick? To piss it off so it keeps attacking?

Like I said, I am not a trainer, but when viewing your video, and "looking" for this kind of service, I would probably keep looking... It just doesn't look to me like you are a professional, or have been doing this long enough for me to spend any money with you....

I am just giving you MY honest opinion here... and you know what they say about opinions and butt-holes... everyone has them!

I am not saying that you should do something else.. I am just saying that you should get some more experience, and some more dogs under your belt (friends, relatives?) before you start selling/training animals as a "professional"

Like I said, this is just my opinion... take it for what its worth, and I only hope that my opinion can help you from an outside view... I don't want to discourage you, I want you to excel. I just think that as of right now, its going to take more work.

-Later

MurrayII
murrayII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 07:16 PM   #4
lawdawg1
1990 YJ Wrangler 

To the responder: The stick is used to build the dogs courage and is not used to "piss" the dog off or make him viscious. If you watch closely the dog is not being hit hard and the stick is foam covered and bendable. The dog must not back down to any object in the suspects hand and some trainers will train the dog to take the arm with the "weapon". Viscious dogs cannot be used in K9. Temperment and drive and of course genetics make these dogs what they are.
To the original poster: breeding is an art form and done best by pros. Not that you could not do it but it is time consuming and only about 30% of any litter can be considered K9 quality. Any dog can bite, but bite, hold and the out on command takes time. Tracking, area and building search, article and narcotics or explosives all come into this at the Law Enforcement end. Single purpose protection is easier. Remember, start with quality dogs, travel to Europe/Slovakia/Holland. See how the pro's do it. Lackland is not were the pro's are. N.C is loaded with supplier/trainers check them out.
Good luck with your venture, it will be a tough road with long hours.
Regards,
OC
lawdawg1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 07:29 PM   #5
IAJack

I have always had a question regarding this type of training. Do the dogs remember and "hate" the training assistant that they are attacking? IE can your "buddy" in the video and the dog be friends when through with the session. Can he come over to and in your house without the dog wanting to "get him"?
Unread 12-26-2009, 07:32 PM   #6
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrayII View Post
Nothing personal, but I think your "training program" is lacking... sure you have the dog "attacking" when you tell it to, but is seems like you are having trouble getting the dog to stop!

Granted, I am not a trainer at all... but why do you have to hit the dog with a stick? To piss it off so it keeps attacking?

Like I said, I am not a trainer, but when viewing your video, and "looking" for this kind of service, I would probably keep looking... It just doesn't look to me like you are a professional, or have been doing this long enough for me to spend any money with you....

I am just giving you MY honest opinion here... and you know what they say about opinions and butt-holes... everyone has them!

I am not saying that you should do something else.. I am just saying that you should get some more experience, and some more dogs under your belt (friends, relatives?) before you start selling/training animals as a "professional"

Like I said, this is just my opinion... take it for what its worth, and I only hope that my opinion can help you from an outside view... I don't want to discourage you, I want you to excel. I just think that as of right now, its going to take more work.

-Later

MurrayII
The stick is called a "clatter stick" it is made from bamboo that is sliced into 4 sections and makes noise when it is struck against something. You can beat yourself silly with it and not cause pain. It just makes noise and gets the dog used to biting while something is touching him and making noise. I dont beat the dogs I am no "professional yet as becoming pro at this takes alot of time I have done it for a little while with the Airforce and trained a few dogs from local people. It will take me many years to get really good. Thanks for the reply.

Unread 12-26-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAJack View Post
I have always had a question regarding this type of training. Do the dogs remember and "hate" the training assistant that they are attacking? IE can your "buddy" in the video and the dog be friends when through with the session. Can he come over to and in your house without the dog wanting to "get him"?
No, not at all. I would say if anything they are closer now that they have become fighting partners. Also I do not use the same decoy every time. I have 3 that I alternate between.

Unread 12-26-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
rompinthewoods
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I have a question. What do your neighbors think about the training being done in the open? Are they afraid to come outside while your training? Reason being, I have a husky and she will not do anything but lick you to death but I still have a neighbor that is terrified of her. Kinda funny, but I think your dog would give her a heart attack. Can I borrow her?
Unread 12-26-2009, 08:06 PM   #9
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rompinthewoods View Post
I have a question. What do your neighbors think about the training being done in the open? Are they afraid to come outside while your training? Reason being, I have a husky and she will not do anything but lick you to death but I still have a neighbor that is terrified of her. Kinda funny, but I think your dog would give her a heart attack. Can I borrow her?
Actually we have quite the crowd alot of the times. They all come out and watch and think its awesome. I get alot of dumb questions or sometimes they want me to train their lab or golden retriever in this kind of work and that just isnt going to happen. Its hard enough finding a good shepherd to do this work with. Let alone a breed that was never designed for this kind of work to begin with.

Unread 12-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #10
murrayII
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for the clarification on the use of the "stick". Like I said, I am not a trainer, and it didn't look like you were beating the dog with it... just kinda tapping..

After I posted, I was hoping that I didn't come off sounding like a complete jerk... I am glad to see that you took what I said the way it was meant.. sometimes it is hard to convey "tone" with words..

Anyway, I think it's cool that you are doing this, and I really hope you are successful at it.

-MurrayII
murrayII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-26-2009, 11:56 PM   #11
Morpheus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is there a "happy medium" with this training??? I have a Doberman whos as gentle as you would want a dog to be, she looks scary yes, but hasnt got a protective bone in her body I believe...Is it possible to have her the way she is now but to train her to be protective when needed?? shes 2 years old.
Morpheus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-27-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
EaglesSJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morpheus View Post
Is there a "happy medium" with this training??? I have a Doberman whos as gentle as you would want a dog to be, she looks scary yes, but hasnt got a protective bone in her body I believe...Is it possible to have her the way she is now but to train her to be protective when needed?? shes 2 years old.
Absolutely. My personal GSD is great around everyone. Friends and family and such. He loves my 4 year old. My son Colton pulls on his lips and wrestles with him and is basically just a bi pain in his arse most of the time but he loves it and has never done anything aggressive towards him. He is still our big family baby. Just now he packs a punch if we need him to This training really takes your relationship with the dog to a whole new level.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.