Johns Hopkins Student Kills Intruder With Samurai Sword - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Johns Hopkins Student Kills Intruder With Samurai Sword

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 09-15-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Johns Hopkins Student Kills Intruder With Samurai Sword

Quote:
A Johns Hopkins University student armed with a samurai sword killed a man who broke into the garage of his off-campus residence early Tuesday, a Baltimore police spokesman said.

According to preliminary reports, a resident of the 300 block of E. University Parkway called police about a suspicious person, department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said. An off-duty officer responded about 1:20 a.m. to the area with university security, according to Guglielmi. They heard shouts and screams from a neighboring house and found the suspected burglar suffering from a nearly severed hand and laceration to his upper body, he said.

The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene. Based on the initial investigation, the student killed the man with only one strike of the sword, according to Guglielmi. The medical examiner will make the final determination, he said.

The student told police that he heard a commotion in the house and went downstairs armed with the sword, Guglielmi said. He saw the side door to the garage had been pried open and found a man inside, who lunged at the student. There was no indication that the suspected burglar was armed, however, according to Guglielmi.

Burglars had already stolen two laptops and a Sony PlayStation from the student's home Monday, Guglielmi said.

Dennis O'Shea, a spokesman for Johns Hopkins, said all four residents of the house are undergraduate students at the university. Police had released three of the roommates by Tuesday afternoon. The student who wielded the sword remained in custody while investigators worked to corroborate his story with evidence and witness statements. Police have not released the name of the residents, but department sources identified the detained student as John Pontolillo, 20, of Wall, N.J.

The city state's attorney's office will determine whether to press charges, Guglielmi said.

Police have also not released the name of the suspected burglar, but a department source identified the man as Donald D. Rice, 49, of the 600 block of E. 26th St. in Baltimore. He had 29 prior convictions for crimes such as breaking and entering, according to Guglielmi, and had been released Saturday from the Baltimore County Detention Center after he was arrested by county police in August 2008 for stealing a car in Baltimore. Rice was found guilty in December on one count of unauthorized removal of property, and he was sentenced to 18 months in prison.

Michael Hughes of the 3400 block of University Place, about a block away from the scene, said he was working at his home when he heard screams shortly after 1 a.m.

"I could hear the fear in the voice, and I could tell someone was scared," said Hughes, 43, who works for Johns Hopkins' Bloomberg School of Public Health.

Hughes said he called police and could hear sirens as he was on the phone. He walked over to the crime scene shortly after.

"The body was near the garage. And I watched them carry the sword out. The whole thing was surreal and totally bizarre," Hughes said.

By Tuesday afternoon, two pools of blood remained on the ground a few feet away from the door to the garage, which is not connected to the home. A door to a wooden fence surrounding the back yard was broken, allowing the scene to be viewed from the sidewalk.

The three-story house has five bedrooms and two bathrooms, according to Diego Ardila, a junior at Hopkins. Ardila said he lived in the house during the summer and was a roommate of two of the people that currently live there.

Ardila, 19, said one of the roommates owned a samurai sword and generally kept it in his room. Ardila described the student as somewhat outgoing, although they did not speak frequently.

"He kept the sword on top of his cabinet," Ardila said.

Five people lived at the house during the summer, according to Ardila, who now lives a few blocks away.

"You don't expect to hear that someone you know killed a guy with a samurai sword. From what little I know of him, he wasn't some guy going out to kill," Ardila said.

Guglielmi said it is legal to possess a sword in Baltimore, and "individuals have a right to defend their person and their property." But the police spokesman said he was not in a position to comment on whether it was appropriate to use a sword, baseball bat or other means of defense.
Johns Hopkins student kills intruder with samurai sword, police say -- baltimoresun.com

JPete is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:12 PM   #2
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

wow. An unusual way of defending yourself it seems. Although the burgular got what he deserved.
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #3
mikebigh

1987 YJ Wrangler 

What sucks is the ninja will go to jail for protecting his stuff, and there will be some form of new foundation started for the bulglar with 29 priors. ****ed.
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
HELMET
2006 LJ Wrangler 

I see no problem with a dead thief.
HELMET is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:15 PM   #5
-Deepskyy-
1993 YJ Wrangler 

They should give the kid a medal. I wonder if he gave a war cry when he sliced and diced?
Quote:
Police have also not released the name of the suspected burglar, but a department source identified the man as Donald D. Rice, 49, of the 600 block of E. 26th St. in Baltimore. He had 29 prior convictions for crimes such as breaking and entering, according to Guglielmi, and had been released Saturday from the Baltimore County Detention Center after he was arrested by county police in August 2008 for stealing a car in Baltimore. Rice was found guilty in December on one count of unauthorized removal of property, and he was sentenced to 18 months in prison.
Some great job we are doing rehabilitating criminals.
-Lt. General Charles, Earl Cornwallis after the battle of Guilford Courthouse NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outatime05 View Post
Females are a dime-a-dozen. Jeeps are forever. Easy choice. Be indispensible or be gone. :wave:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepdavetj View Post
We are Jeepforum. We can do the unthinkable. We are Jeep strong. And head stubborn. We are. JEEPFORUM.
/l , [____],
|---L--[]lllllll[]-
()_) ()_)==O=)_)
Red Jeep #543
-Deepskyy- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #6
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
Some great job we are doing rehabilitating criminals.
This is Baltimore City we're talking about...

Maybe it will start turning around, now that we have Samurais protecting the streets.

Last edited by JPete; 09-15-2009 at 02:37 PM..
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:18 PM   #7
helicase50
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I want to marry that kid.

I am personally impressed he went with his sword and was able to use it to the extent he did. The guy deserved it with 29 priors and again breaking into this guys house. He was protecting his property, once they clear that he was not going with the intent to kill then he should be okay.

Remember though, it is always the quiet ones.

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Purple"]Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=vindicated;11072220]
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11072442]Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
[/QUOTE]
Be Jealous
helicase50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
BAMAJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

29 prior convictions? Sounds like he had that one coming.
BLUE JEEP #237
BAMAJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
GasAxe
1983 CJ5 

The lesson for today is never steal a Playstation from a Baltimore Samurai.
And by the look of his avatar and name... not a hippie.
GasAxe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:22 PM   #10
KINGJB
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by helicase50 View Post
I want to marry that kid.

Remember though, it is always the quiet ones.
Very true. I am one of those quiet ones. So watch out. I get told that a lot that its the quiet ones you have to worry about. Nobody knows what to expect out of quiet person when backed into the corner.
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #11
harleysilo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Just plain Aweasome.
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:24 PM   #12
JPete
How 'Bout Dem O's?

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasAxe View Post
The lesson for today is never steal a Playstation from a Baltimore Samurai.

Quote of the day!
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:28 PM   #13
wmeyer116
1997 TJ Wrangler 

owned. what a man.
Leave your inbred childish comments somewhere else. They are not welcome on JF
wmeyer116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:32 PM   #14
FourbyFour
2006 TJ Wrangler 

This thread would be Epic if someone linked "Redneck Ninga" ....."ya gotch'yerr jewddyy CHOP"

[QUOTE=DcMuff;10356365]P[SIZE="4"][COLOR="Red"]REPOST[/COLOR][/SIZE]erous...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Dead_End;13002119]hurr durr I gots a truk[/QUOTE]
FourbyFour is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #15
ionakana
Grand Poobah

1994 YJ Wrangler 

There can be only one!

http://www.oddhammer.com/tutorials/d...debt_clock.swf

Live in Georgia? click here--> http://georgiacrawlers.com/
ionakana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.