Jeeps reliability? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Jeeps reliability?

ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippSmittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 01-20-2010, 01:49 AM   #31
HilltopperYJ
1993 YJ Wrangler 

holy 9 year old thread batman

i didnt realise that

A-E-K-Δ-B

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
HilltopperYJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:07 AM   #32
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm gonna hafta pay better attention
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:17 AM   #33
300whisper
2010 JK Wrangler 

I had a 1994 Cherokee with 300,000 miles on it! I never had a problem with it and I was able to sell it for a thousand bucks. My 1999 TJ has 50,000 miles on it and the only problem with it was a cracked exhaust manifold ( which you can still drive with ) and a stupid $50 electrical part. All those "other" little cars are nice but they wont help me drive 3 miles into the woods to go hunting or go through a creek....
300whisper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:25 AM   #34
300whisper
2010 JK Wrangler 

Damn just realized this was an old thread...my bad. I got pumped when I thought some one talking trash on jeeps.
300whisper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #35
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

When this thread was started all Jeeps still had solid axles. We still had the Cherokee, the 4.0 I6, and 4cyl. Wranglers. There was no Liberty, Commander, Patriot, or Compass. CD players were optional and navigation was the passenger with a map.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2010, 08:08 AM   #36
Ole Yeller
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon83 View Post
When this thread was started all Jeeps still had solid axles. We still had the Cherokee, the 4.0 I6, and 4cyl. Wranglers. There was no Liberty, Commander, Patriot, or Compass. CD players were optional and navigation was the passenger with a map.
Hah. Hadn't noticed the dates.
2000 TJ Sport
My previous Jeeps
1992 Wrangler S (Ole Yeller)
1985 Cherokee Pioneer
1989 Cherokee Laredo
1995 Cherokee Country
1996 Cherokee Country
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo
Ole Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 07:36 PM   #37
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Lol. : pat on the back : to me.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #38
alex211
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordon83 View Post
No v6 either.
Unread 01-22-2010, 09:49 PM   #39
carnuck
1984 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex211 View Post
No v6 either.
Ah Grasshopper! You are still wet behind the ears to not recall the 2.8 V6 monstrosity foisted upon the Jeep world in '84 to '86! (GM was bailing on them and owed AMC a motor because they bailed on the Rotary engine that was going to be in the Pacer and GMs due to fuel costs)

'81 Eagle wagon with upgrades $2500
'87 Comanche shortbox 4.0/AW4/NP242 on 33" tires $3500
carnuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #40
LEO_WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by addifan View Post
Have any of you had problems with your jeeps? I have read consumer reports on Jeeps and they don't seem to like them. They get the worse reliability reading you can get. Do they really have that many problems?
Jeeps may have been concieved by God, but they were unfortunately built by Man. Anything man makes, he tends to screw it up in a variety of ways.
Expecially if the Man works at Chrysler.

As others have indicated, if you're gonna use the Jeep like it was meant to be used, you'll bust things and get lots of wrench time fixing stuff. Comes with the territory.

With that said, I believe Jeep does suffer from Chrysler's (ahem) quality products. I got my 98 Cherokee used with 110,000 miles. It has had almost all the classic Jeep failures we know of: A/C was dead because of a leaky evaporator coil. $1400 (pro shop rates). Backup lights weren't working because of bad Neutral Safety Switch (NSS): $500 (pro shop rates). Death wobble from worn out power steering unit: 500 bucks. Still unrepaired yet is the occasional gas leak if I overfill the tank. And the back springs are starting to sag. And the original paint on the hood is blistering (ok, blame the TX sun for that).

A great design (Jeep) can be negated by less than great parts (Chrysler). As you read the forums and posts here, you'll see these breakdowns I listed above are quite common in our Jeeps. But since we believe in and love this vehicle, we're ready to overcome the shortcomings of its unworthy parent company, and we wrench, we upgrade, and we keep on Jeepin.

In short, what we are, Jeepers, is something Consumer Reports cannot analyze or understand. Think of the CR people as mere Sirens singing an evil song, and you are Jason seeking the true course to the Grail. Jeep ON!
LEO_WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2010, 09:20 PM   #41
bercherker
1988 XJ Cherokee 

88 XJ 268K no problems, PO kept meticulous records, no probs for him. I've owned at least one Jeep for the last 10 years, never a problem other than my WJ being no match ( in a T-boning ) for a Super Duty driven by a coked up trophy wife in Scottsdale.

Consumer reports just can't look past a vehicle with the interior space of a late 80's Civic getting mileage in the teens.
bercherker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 10:58 AM   #42
LEO_WRANGLER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bercherker View Post
Consumer reports just can't look past a vehicle with the interior space of a late 80's Civic getting mileage in the teens.
Exactly. Consumer Reports may have its place -- for consumers.

But we're not 'consumers'... we're JEEPERS. A totally different animal.

The Jeeper animal can put on the cloak of civility, of 'consumerism'... and can mingle in the streets with 'consumers' when necessary.

But the true heart of a Jeeper lives... out there... where 'consumers' do not venture. That's our territory. That's our Way.
LEO_WRANGLER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2010, 01:57 PM   #43
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I think the OP is probably on his second or third jeep by now
Unread 01-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #44
MidnightRider
1998 TJ Wrangler 

heh wow this is old but i have flipped a jeep pulled the motor w/o repairing anything or touching it besides putting it in anothe body and it cranked up the first time. never would i trade my xj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.