Jeeps reliability? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Jeeps reliability?

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4Warrior Products @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 04-23-2001, 03:05 AM   #1
addifan

Jeeps reliability?

Have any of you had problems with your jeeps? I have read consumer reports on Jeeps and they don't seem to like them. They get the worse reliability reading you can get. Do they really have that many problems?

addifan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2001, 09:27 AM   #2
Real-LD

I have a 97 Tj and to date not one problem. What else is there to say.
97 Tj not so stock but not so modified.
Real-LD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2001, 11:54 AM   #3
Tonka
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I had a 1990 2dr cherokee xj with no problems. I now have a 1995 Wrangler yj with minor problems. If the jeep was well maintained, it should give you at least 250000 miles for a 4.0l and 200000 miles for a 2.5l
It's a Jeep, Working on them is half the fun, especially when you upgrade.
Tonka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2001, 05:12 PM   #4
Doc
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I have a 2000 TJ 4.0 Sport. I got it brand new but the transmission was shot. I took it in, and the replacement transmission had a cracked housing and was shot. I got it replaced again and have had no problems since. Took almost a month for the dealer to get it fixed. My jeep is not even a year old and is on its third transmission! Would I do it all over again? Yep, I love my jeep!
Unread 04-23-2001, 07:14 PM   #5
RockJeep
SirRocks'A'Lot

Consumer Reports are for grocery getters. They don't know enough about vehicles so they need some idiot whose probably only driven a BUG all his/her life to tell you what's good or bad. Most the time they don't have a clue in my opinion.
later
bob
JEEP's Rule!
Unread 04-23-2001, 08:07 PM   #6
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Naturally the CR gives Jeep a bad rating. Have you ever seen where Jeep owners go? Pick up a 4x4 mag and that should explain the rating pretty quickly.

I have 115,000 miles on my 95 Wrangler. I see no reason the engine won't go another 100,000 miles easily. Other than my engine, my entire drivetrain was recently swapped out for bigger beefier stuff. That's part of owning a Jeep. But all the stock components took me on a few Rubicon trips, the Dusy-Ershim, Jackhammer, and lots of others. My guess is that you won't see the highly rated Honda Accord owner having a clue how beautiful the Rubicon Trail is. And, to the delight of CR, probably never ever blew out a u-joint climbing through the Little Sluice.

Look, if you're an off roader, you're going to see thru all the bull where Jeeps are compared to other vehicles. There's only one.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2001, 08:11 PM   #7
Jim Hodges

I bought a '94 ZJ a year ago. It had been used for towing. The only thing that was wrong was the remote access controls had crapped out. Dealer replaced them for free.
Haven't had a single claim on the extended warranty - probably wasted my money this time, but an extended waranty paid for itself the first month I owned my previous vehicle - after that it was sheer profit. I was concerned about the reliability ratings also when I bought mine. Maybe its a crap shoot - win some lose some, but mine has been a gem.
94 ZJ (4.0 L), 3" lift + 2" front spacers, ARB bull bar, Warn winch, ARB lockers, ZJilla rear bumper & t-case skid, ORGS super-nerfs, Rocky Road diff guards, JKS quick discos, BFG 31X10.5 AT KO, Borla cat-back exhaust, DirectHit ignition upgrade, Pro Power 175 amp alternator, Garvin wilderness rack, Lightforce driving/off-road lights, Alpine CD changer, Colormap GPS, 2 dogs
Jim Hodges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2001, 11:58 PM   #8
robs

Being an old guy, we've had 6 new cars through the years... mostly Fords... and we've put around 100k+ on most of them... The TJ has about 50k on it now...

Reliability is about the same on all of them... little stuff goes wrong... but the basic layout of the TJ drive train is fairly bullet proof... they'res no reason you couldn't get 150k from one with a little TLC, even with wheelin...
Unread 04-24-2001, 10:34 PM   #9
Newfie

Quote:
Originally posted by addifan:
Have any of you had problems with your jeeps?
Yes, a huge problem with empty pockets, bank accounts, piggy bank... Wouldn't care if it cost twice the price though! (sshh, don't let the 4x4 shop hear that though)
Unread 04-27-2001, 07:21 AM   #10
scooper

my 1977 cj is still basicaly stock and origonal.150 miles ,engine was rebuilt but the entire drive train is still origonal ,o i replaced the clutch and throw out berring last year, but hey a 24 year old car and the (WEAK)AMC AXLES are still holding up.
this baby is a typical amc(rambler)just keeps working.
now i could be nit picki like consumer reports and say well the ride is harsh and heating is questionable and so forth.
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2001, 07:23 AM   #11
scooper

p.s. i meant to say engine rebuilt at 150,000 miles 4.2 and yes i adjust or rebuild the 1bbl carter every year or so ,18 dollers for rebuild and 30 minutes of time.
only real complaint would be the gas milage 8-10 mpg...o well
scooper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-27-2001, 08:49 AM   #12
jeeptuff

This is my consumer report... I see plenty of Fords, Chevys, Dodges, European a other imports sittin on the side of the freeway, I think I have only saw 2 or 3 Jeeps® sittin on the side of the road(because they are broke down on the trail if broken at all). My 93 YJ has 85K on it and strong, but the upgrades have started, stickin with the 4.0L but with a stroker kit to get it more UMPH!!! My thought is that Jeep® is the best damn vehical ever made in fact it's the best thing ever.
Unread 04-28-2001, 11:33 AM   #13
yoz10y

have a 99 wrangler 2.5L motor blew a conecting rod @ 11 000 KM, got that replaced under warranty, then my starter went round 50000 km but i think that was due to being submerged under water almost to the air intake for an hour waitng for pull., tried to start it (big mistake). Other than that could do just as much as my sisters 4.0L. IM HAPPY WITH HER STILL, and id buy another.
yoz10y is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2001, 03:39 PM   #14
jeepsonly

We're on our third YJ. We had no problems with our 94 2.5L and with our newest, a 93 Sahara 4.0 but the middle one, our 88 4.2L, was a money pit. Replaced the engine and practically everything else there was to replace. Had to rebuild the carb 3 times in one year! BUT, I think someone abused the poor thing before I got it and I'm not convinced the people I had work on it knew exactly what they were doing either.

Overall, I think almost any vehicle will last if you take care of it. I also think most people don't take care of their vehicles much. I did a casual survey of our office once and found that hardly anyone changed oil except maybe once a year.

Remember too that your Jeep will cost you more in repairs if you use it like it wants to be used. A Toyota Corolla gets to drive on blacktop all the time, after all.
jeepsonly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2010, 12:55 PM   #15
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

I haven't had too many problems with mine, Whenever something breaks I just upgrade!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.