jeepin knives - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > jeepin knives

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-20-2010, 03:49 PM   #46
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Any real point to serration? I like that SOG Flash II, but I tend to prefer straight edges. What would the serration actually be useful for, exactly?

Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:13 PM   #47
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firekite View Post
Any real point to serration? I like that SOG Flash II, but I tend to prefer straight edges. What would the serration actually be useful for, exactly?
Serration works great on belts and hoses, my Gerber multi-tool has a serrated blade that cuts hose like butterMost knives can be had either way too
Unread 01-20-2010, 04:54 PM   #48
Jon00XJ

best knife ever. and its cheap
Jon00XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:07 PM   #49
LKrux
1997 TJ Wrangler 

my 10 dollar walmart shank. its actually pretty sweet.
Unread 01-20-2010, 05:12 PM   #50
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You can get the same knife with a straight edge. I chose serration in case i ever had to cut a rope, seat belt or the like.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #51
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I guess I should've made it clear that I know you can get it in straight edge, and my question was purely one of "why would you choose serration?" Is it really that much better than a sharp straight edge knife for cutting through rope and such? Seems like it'd just get hung up more easily, but I don't have much experience in that arena.
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:06 AM   #52
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just imagine the difference in cutting a steak with a steak knife or a butter knife,
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #53
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Dude. I'd much rather cut a quality steak with a quality straight-edge, razor-sharp knife.
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:35 AM   #54
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
In general, the plain edge is better than the serrated when the application involves push cuts. Also, the plain edge is superior when extreme control, accuracy, and clean cuts are necessary, regardless of whether or not the job is push cuts or slices.

In general, the serrated edge will work better than the plain edge for slicing cuts, especially through hard or tough surfaces, where the serrations tend to grab and cut the surface easily. Some of the cutting power of the serrated edge is due to its format alone; thus, even a dull serrated edge knife will often perform competently at slicing jobs. The serrated edge gets its slicing ability from a number of factors. The high points on the serrations will touch the material first, and this gives those points higher pressure per area than if the same pressure was applied to a plain blade; this allows the serration to puncture more easily. In addition, serrations are normally chisel-ground into the blade, which means they are thinner (and thus cut better) than the comparable plain blade.

The plain edge will work better for applications like shaving, skinning an apple, skinning a deer. All those applications involve either mostly push cuts, or the need for extreme control. Serrations work really well on things like tough rope or wood, where the serrations bite through quickly.

Generally, the more push cuts are used, the more necessary it is for the plain edge to have a "razor polished" edge. A knife edge becomes more polished when you move to higher and higher grit stones. Generally, 1200-grit is considered polished; a 6000+ grit Japanese water stone would polish the edge further.

One interesting case is cutting a tomato. In theory, you can just push a blade through a tomato, so a razor polished plain edge would work fine. However, the tomato is soft, and unless your plain edge knife is very sharp, the tomato will simply squish when you start pushing. You can (and many people do) use a slicing motion with your plain blade, but if it's even a little dull it won't cut well and it may not even break the skin. Use a sawing motion with a serrated knife (even a dull one), and your tomato will slice fine.
A.G. Russell Knives | Serrated vs. Plain - A.G. Russell
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Go to Heaven for the climate, go to Hell for the company.
Swagger_Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #55
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Dude. I'd much rather cut a quality steak with a quality straight-edge, razor-sharp knife.
Sure,but that wasn't an option. Just a comparison, I've keep my blades sharp w/ a lansky, I prefer straight edged blades too, serrated blades are just better at some jobs, but a pain to sharpen.
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:03 AM   #56
BRad704
Nothing to see here...

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Sure,but that wasn't an option. Just a comparison, I've keep my blades sharp w/ a lansky, I prefer straight edged blades too, serrated blades are just better at some jobs, but a pain to sharpen.
I have never had good luck with serated... and that's why... once they dull even a tiny bit, you are snagging them on everything you try to cut. for EDC, I will take full straight everyday...
BRad704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:09 AM   #57
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

When my Flash II's seration gets really dull I'll just send it back to SOG and have them resharpen it for 9$
The Jeep is a manly device. And a womanly device. An American device. Its a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve. Okay, were a little crazy to have a Jeep for a daily driver. But if we go off our meds, we might wind up in a Prius
Unread 01-21-2010, 11:46 AM   #58
Deacon
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for posting that, Hevin. Good stuff.
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #59
Swagger_Wagon
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Thanks for posting that, Hevin. Good stuff.
No problem. Cleared up a few things for me too.
Unread 01-21-2010, 12:20 PM   #60
Ski01xj
2002 WJ 

I carry a Gerber remix to work. I use it often and don't mind if it gets beat up. For protection and when I'm out and about I carry a H&K (benchmade) ascender drop point.
Ski01xj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.