Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

jeepin knives

4K views 64 replies 35 participants last post by  CooterBrown 
#1 ·
just wondering what other people keep in there jeep as far as knives go and thought i would show what i use. b/c not too many people seem to know of em. the first set is 3 myerchin knives. there made for proffessional mariners and have shackle keys built into most of them. thats what the cut out is in the handle of the bottom fixed blade knife. and most come with a marlin spike which is useful to no end. i use it for undoing shackles, knots, splicing wire-rope and even have used it as a punchto nock out stuborn pins, for jeepin i would think the folder would be the most useful, i have one in both jeeps and they run around 50 bucks,. i use the fixed blades at work. and love them. so for those of you who like a bigger knife theyre they are. i dont work for myerchin nor am i trying to sell them to you just thought i would show that they are out there and havent heard of any one keeping them for jeeping and i use mine all the time. and they are extremely well made knives.

and heres a cool little collectible knife by kershaw i found yesterday at the local sporting goods store in gaylord michigan. its really a functional knife its auto assist but kinda small for a utility type knife. but it was on sale. so i figured it was a must have

See less See more
#48 ·

best knife ever. and its cheap

#51 ·
Yeah, I guess I should've made it clear that I know you can get it in straight edge, and my question was purely one of "why would you choose serration?" Is it really that much better than a sharp straight edge knife for cutting through rope and such? Seems like it'd just get hung up more easily, but I don't have much experience in that arena.

#54 ·
In general, the plain edge is better than the serrated when the application involves push cuts. Also, the plain edge is superior when extreme control, accuracy, and clean cuts are necessary, regardless of whether or not the job is push cuts or slices.

In general, the serrated edge will work better than the plain edge for slicing cuts, especially through hard or tough surfaces, where the serrations tend to grab and cut the surface easily. Some of the cutting power of the serrated edge is due to its format alone; thus, even a dull serrated edge knife will often perform competently at slicing jobs. The serrated edge gets its slicing ability from a number of factors. The high points on the serrations will touch the material first, and this gives those points higher pressure per area than if the same pressure was applied to a plain blade; this allows the serration to puncture more easily. In addition, serrations are normally chisel-ground into the blade, which means they are thinner (and thus cut better) than the comparable plain blade.

The plain edge will work better for applications like shaving, skinning an apple, skinning a deer. All those applications involve either mostly push cuts, or the need for extreme control. Serrations work really well on things like tough rope or wood, where the serrations bite through quickly.

Generally, the more push cuts are used, the more necessary it is for the plain edge to have a "razor polished" edge. A knife edge becomes more polished when you move to higher and higher grit stones. Generally, 1200-grit is considered polished; a 6000+ grit Japanese water stone would polish the edge further.

One interesting case is cutting a tomato. In theory, you can just push a blade through a tomato, so a razor polished plain edge would work fine. However, the tomato is soft, and unless your plain edge knife is very sharp, the tomato will simply squish when you start pushing. You can (and many people do) use a slicing motion with your plain blade, but if it's even a little dull it won't cut well and it may not even break the skin. Use a sawing motion with a serrated knife (even a dull one), and your tomato will slice fine.
A.G. Russell Knives | Serrated vs. Plain - A.G. Russell

#57 ·
When my Flash II's seration gets really dull I'll just send it back to SOG and have them resharpen it for 9$

#62 ·
:thumbsup:That is a good option to have, we have a cutlery in my little town that will sharpen for the life of the knife. ( Ontario Knife recently bought them out) I have never used a serrated enough to dull it:laugh:
:2thumbsup:Keep posting, I personally like talking & reading about knives.:cheers2:

#59 ·
No problem. Cleared up a few things for me too.

#61 ·
I always have my CRKT Full Throttle in my back pocket. Thin, combo blade, pocket clip, and assisted open.

In the jeep (and my wife's jeep, and our trailer, and my tool box, and the kitchen etc) I always keep a SOG Powerlock multi tool. Love that thing. Also have CRKT My Tighe in the jeep and trailer. Combo blades for each of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.