Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Jeep Wreck

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  FlaJeepin 
#1 ·
Wrecked my 2000 Jeep Wrangler :(

Last night I had a run in with a Suburban (he made an unprotected left turn unsuccessfully) and I nailed him at ~45 in my front driverside corner. His brush guard tore into my body pushing the hood back, crushing both fenders and pushing the grill back into the engine bay.

Bumpers finally hit and mine was pushed back; the frame ends the bumper mounts onto are both bent, and the right one (when looking the car) is twisted. The manual transmission will no longer go into gear.

Sorry :( No pictures. Been too busy trying to sort all of this out.

Now, what I am most afraid of is them telling me they can fix it. I visited my Jeep today and talked to the claims adjuster; briefly circling the vehicle. I understand he was unable to tell me it was totaled on the spot and never asked about it - but what worried me is when I was pointing things out ("the frame seems pretty badly bent here, I don't know what you guys would do about that" ... "Oh we can bend it back") at the end he said he'd probably call it fixable at the time.

I love my Jeep, but I don't want it fixed - mainly because of the bent frame and the transmission not locking in. They are major problems and I don't believe the frame can ever be as strong as it used to.

I already have my case set up for them calling me declaring it totaled with their bid on my vehicle; three quotes on the value of it from KBB, Edmunds, and NAPA, as well as ten listings of Jeeps around my mileage, year, engine, and transmission.

Like I said, I would be happier and more at ease if they just totaled it. I've heard that they will total a vehicle if the repairs cost more than the value of the vehicle and I've also heard if it's more than 70% the value.

I'm mostly worried just because he said he thought it was fixable and that bending the frame back would make it better. If they call and claim they can fix it is there anything I can do, other than getting another opinion, to get it totaled?

See less See more
#2 ·
Sure as heck sounds like a total to me.

I would suggest telling your insurance you will buy it totalled out, then part it out and go from there.

#4 ·
If my Z28 was totaled, than I'm sure that Jeep is totaled. My accident doesn't sound nearly as bad as that.

#5 ·
:OffTopic: I grew up in a farmers community, the insurance adjusters would proposed to the farmers that they would let them write a total loss on the farmers crops in exchange for money:rtft: , farmers didn't have to pay their loans to the bank and they got to keep their crops, bank went bankrupt and no bank ever wanted to do business with our community again, the community is pretty much deserted today :OffTopic: Thought just came to mind.

#6 ·
Claims adjusters are a joke. Most don't have a clue. The bottom line is you are the customer. If it isn't right don't accept his appraisal.

What all this has to do with farmers I'm still trying to figure out. Having a crop failure or totaling out a vehicle does not relieve you of your obligation to repay the debt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.