Jeep vs Explorer - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Jeep vs Explorer

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 01-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #31
ChaoticBastard
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by severous01
all i gotta say is:

I-6
NON independent front diff
excellent transfer case options
extremely aftermarket friendly

and if it were me...and i had an option of a xj or some other SUV...it'd be a durango, not an explorer.

i hate ford...try changing the plugs and wires on one of your 'explorers'....should be called an exploder. front wheel bearings MIGHT last 60k miles, engine might make it to 125k, and the trans WILL blow by 100k. costing you thousands to fix. and if you're thinking v-8 power...i hope you like to waste 6.5 hours changing plugs. and dont even get me started on water pump and alternator changes...ugh.

but on the good hand, explorers are cheap, the rear is great, comfort and ride quality are good, i like the style and feel of the interiors, and i do like the wheels...i'm putting a set of 02 escape/explorer/sport track wheels on my jeep. along with the 8.8.
Hmm. I changed the plugs on my old 93 Xploder in 1/2 hour. Perhaps you didnt know which way the plugs went in?
Explorer 4.0's had head gasket issues but mine was fine. With 275k on it,Hard miles too. No trans issue's at all. No bearing issue's either. I have an 01 Explorer sport with the SOHC 4.0 which is rock solid and will smoke the Jeep 4.0. Yes I myself prefer a solid axle but I have had these problems with the 6 XJ's I have owned

Rotted floors on all of them, Tcase chains imploding. Severe oil leaks from many areas.(Valve covers,Oil filter adapter o rings,Pans etc) Control arms breaking off. Bad or clogged oil pump issue's. Death wobble on about 3 of them I had.

Now I love Jeep over ford but your trashing it because of the 1 bad experience you might have had. Do not forget either,The explorer has a real frame too. The XJ is a flexible box. They both have strong and weak points as any USED car or truck will have. I am done with any Jeep besides CJ's. I am hoping to find a decent project to work with soon.

If it is for wheeling,Definatly an XJ.

MetalHead Jeep Club Member #33
Quote:
Originally Posted by kairo
what's wrong with bombing poor people? It has all the awesomeness of bombing combined with removal of crime. It's like a win win situation.
Unwad your panties
ChaoticBastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 10:30 PM   #32
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reswob
The only desireable part of the Ford is it's rear axle (which you don't even need if you get a ZJ with a D44A rear).
The D44a is much weaker than the regular D44 you find on TJs and XJs, for example. The "a' stands for aluminum and the ZJ axle is much weaker than a regular D44. Not much better than a D35, if at all. It's c-clip, too
Unread 01-28-2008, 05:43 AM   #33
Sinzitu
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Just remember to do your research. And your asking folks on a JEEP (XJ) forum if they would get an XJ or Explorer. There may be some bias.

Everyone has their opinions on what vehicle(s) or brand they think are the best.

White Jeep Club Member # 1994

Is it done yet???
Sinzitu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:59 AM   #34
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMudder
The D44a is much weaker than the regular D44 you find on TJs and XJs, for example. The "a' stands for aluminum and the ZJ axle is much weaker than a regular D44. Not much better than a D35, if at all. It's c-clip, too
We're all aware the 'A' stands for aluminum (housing). However, the 44A is much stronger than a 35. And the 44's you find are newer TJs are just hybrid 30/44A's aren't they?

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:45 AM   #35
jbrem
2005 WK 

My friend has an Exploder, and although it's not a bad vehicle, it just isn't as good as my Cherokee in the offroad department for several reasons:

-Ford's 4.0 is a dog in that vehicle (at least the 90s version)
-Aftermarket parts for the XJ =
- Jeep is not a Ford; that's always a good thing.
- the XJ is a much better stock offroader

I've driven his Exploder long distances, it is more comfy than my Jeep, but that is pretty much last on my priorities. They also rust horribly along the rocker panels, not saying the XJ doesn't rot underneath. He'll probably end up paying the same for a same milage, same year XJ/Exploder, but the XJ gets the nod in my book (I am trying to be unbiased!).
jbrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 09:08 AM   #36
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We're all aware the 'A' stands for aluminum (housing). However, the 44A is much stronger than a 35. And the 44's you find are newer TJs are just hybrid 30/44A's aren't they?
The D44 found in newer Wranglers is a lot better, but they aren't "true" D44s, just peek under a Rubi. The D44a is stronger than the D35. I suppose "much stronger" is a subjective term, but I'll take a regular one over an aluminum one any day. No aftermarket support whatsoever. The internals might be fine, but the housing is still crap. And the 8.8 is certainly stronger. General consensus is that the D44a is a turd, not worth polishing. It's like having three wheels. Better than two, but still... If you're willing to spend the big bucks for a lift, gears and tires, why keep that thing?

Last edited by MattTheMudder; 01-28-2008 at 09:27 AM..
MattTheMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 11:01 AM   #37
Lud04X
2004 TJ Wrangler 

If you want a V8 go for a 1993+ to 1995 ZJ. I've seen them for 3500 or so with the 5.2L V8 and the D44 in the tow package for it.
35x12.5x15 Goodyear MTR's w/ Kevlar, MT Classic II's
D44 rear axle w/ ARB, alloy shafts, 4.56 gears
Dana 30 with ARB, 4.56 gears, alloy shafts and ujoints
Lud04X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #38
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I've seen more XJs in that price range than Explorers and I must have looked at several hundred (imagine combing a whole state for months on end). There were also a lot of ZJs in that price range too, mostly 4.0Ls. I'd take either over an Explorer.
Unread 01-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #39
jneal
Nice....Keep Wheelin!

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Meh, I have both. A 99 Explorer 4x4 and my 03 TJ. I admit that I drive the TJ more cause it def gets the looks and is more fun. Every so often though I spend a few weeks in the Ford for the comfort.

If it were icey or snowy I'd take the ford. The detroit in the back of the TJ makes thing intersting on wet streets, much less icey rds.

Four wheelin the jeep hands down.

fun driving = jeep

relaxed driving, stereo cranked LOUD = ford (it has the better stereo)

apples and oranges man. jeep/ford ratio for driving for me is about 70/30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beefstew View Post
You have nothing... You are a like a culture of ketchup mold... You are completely useless to everyone in the world!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by workinprogress View Post
Hey Rob, can you do me a favor and stop quoting the retard? I have him on my ignore for a reason.:thumbdown:
jneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:10 PM   #40
GrimJeeper91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The last time I checked the V8 Exploders don't have 4low. That would be worthless offroad. I've had two Exploders in the past, a '94 and '98. The SOHC V6 in the '98 was strong running and would blow the doors off my YJ anyday. The '98 was 4x4 but even in 4low there was no engine compression braking in 1st gear. You could honestly go 100 mph in 1st gear low range (coasting down hill). Although I'm not an Exploder fan, both were very reliable despite their reputations. The suspension on these vintages sucked compared to ZJ I had or the WJ I have now.
'91 YJ 4.O, Auto, Rr. D60 w/ 35 Spline Alloy USA Axles & Detriot Locker, Fr. D30 True-Trac, 4.56's, 4.5" Deaver Springs, Bilstein 5100's, 1" BL, Rubi Flares, 35x12.50 MT/R's on MT classic II's, Detroit Locker, Vanco Big Brakes, Booster & Master, Warn 9000XDI, York OBA, AA SYE & TW's DS's, Teraflex Belly Up, Rocker Guards...
GrimJeeper91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:12 PM   #41
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you're looking for comfort, go with a ZJ. Still better offroad than an Explorer and comparable in comfort.
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:14 PM   #42
bruker
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I sold a `96 v6 Explorer last year that had 230,000 miles on it. The only major repairs was the transmission at 168,000 miles.
Unread 01-28-2008, 01:20 PM   #43
mpd8488

I have a 98 Explorer and a 97 XJ (both stock). The XJ is much better off road, but the Explorer has always been able to get me where I needed to go. I wouldn't bother with a v6 explorer as the v8 makes for a very nice highway vehicle, gives you the power off road to get through mud, and makes for a decent tow vehicle. There is a lot more room in an explorer. Golf clubs fit much more comfortably in the back. The back seats are much better. Many of my friends cannot even fit in the back of the xj. Haven't had any mechanical problems other than an idle air controller that needed a shot of carb cleaner.

That being said the Explorer will be up for sale soon. It served its purpose very well but we don't need the larger size any longer (nor do we need to pull that damn boy scout trailer anymore). It is not fun to drive. Very few SUVs are, but XJs are a bit of an exception to that rule (especially with a stick).

If your brother is looking for a family vehicle the xj is not a good option (the kids will sprout legs and be very uncomfortable in a few short years), but if this will be more personal use/recreation the XJ is the way to go.
mpd8488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 09:00 PM   #44
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMudder
but still... If you're willing to spend the big bucks for a lift, gears and tires, why keep that thing?
Because A) unlike a D35, it will hold up to whatever size tires I put on it (within reason), and B) I have a locker coming for it. It's a perfectly good axle.

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 10:15 PM   #45
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Because A) unlike a D35, it will hold up to whatever size tires I put on it (within reason), and B) I have a locker coming for it. It's a perfectly good axle.
I might run 33s on it, but I don't know if you consider 35s within reason. I would still take the Ford's 8.8 over the D44a any day.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.