Jeep vs Explorer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Jeep vs Explorer

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Savvy FREE SHIPPING!Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 01-27-2008, 07:37 PM   #1
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep vs Explorer

OK guys just from reading the title you prolly wanna kill me for asking. But just hear me out. I'm a jeep guy all the way, had a few wranglers no XJs tho. My brother is looking for a 4x4 SUV, under 3000, and American . His best options seem to be a XJ or an Explorer. I see that a lot of guys throw the 8.8 in your jeeps. So my question is what makes the jeeps better than an explorer, Ford obviously has a better rear, seems to me the V8 would be more desirable. Anifi may ask, I know I am on a Jeep site, but can I get a least a few un-biased opinions, I am just trying to have my bro get the best vehicle for his money. Thanks alot guys,

Will

Unread 01-27-2008, 07:39 PM   #2
600dollarXJ

My friend with a 2" lifted explorer cant go where my XJ with a 2" lift can go. The ground clearance on the explorer is awful.
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:42 PM   #3
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

good to know, thanks.

forgot to add he will be doing some light wheeling with it, maybe susp. lift a few inches and 32 or 33. but alotta highway driving as well
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
severous01

all i gotta say is:

I-6
NON independent front diff
excellent transfer case options
extremely aftermarket friendly

and if it were me...and i had an option of a xj or some other SUV...it'd be a durango, not an explorer.

i hate ford...try changing the plugs and wires on one of your 'explorers'....should be called an exploder. front wheel bearings MIGHT last 60k miles, engine might make it to 125k, and the trans WILL blow by 100k. costing you thousands to fix. and if you're thinking v-8 power...i hope you like to waste 6.5 hours changing plugs. and dont even get me started on water pump and alternator changes...ugh.

but on the good hand, explorers are cheap, the rear is great, comfort and ride quality are good, i like the style and feel of the interiors, and i do like the wheels...i'm putting a set of 02 escape/explorer/sport track wheels on my jeep. along with the 8.8.
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:49 PM   #5
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

solid axle>IFS
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
bmyohn
Youngin'

2001 XJ Cherokee 

i have ridden in both, and they ride about the same stock. the rear end is very stout on an Explorer, but the front end is crap compared to an XJ. the rear seats are nicer in the explorer, just because it is a bit larger/roomier. i havent wheeled one, but i see more offroad "ready" XJs, then explorers. thats just my opinion, but im sure others will chime in as well.
4.6L Golen Engine Stroker

6.5" TnT Customs Longarm Kitl Ford HP D60 l 6.5" Rock Krawler Coils l TnT Customs HD Trac Barl Omix Ada HD SYE l 1" UBEsl CV Driveshaft l39.5" IROKsl 17x9" Pro Comp 98sl High Clearance Shock Mounts [COLOR="red"] l Hidden Hitch l AJs Custom Front Bumper l SONY Xplod stereo l Alpine Speakers l TnT Frame StiffenerZ l 22" RE SS Brake Lines l 1.5" TnT Customs Boomerang Shackles l Sterling 10.25 *FULL WIDTHS* l JKS Mini Skids and Sway Bar Brackets l 7/8" Heim Joint High Steer
bmyohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
CanadianJeep86

They call them EXPLODERS for a reason. Everybody I've ever known that had one, ended up replacing the transmission in it. My sister had one, blew the tranny, had a brand new one from the factory installed at Mr. Transmission, 6 months later it crapped out. Replaced under warranty, this time it lasts for a year, replaced again. Finally she sold it and bought a Jimmy. Don't be an idiot by buying an exploder, yes they have great rear axles and the motors run forever, as long as you don't mind the loud ticking that most of them do. Do it right the first time and just buy a jeep. IMO
1989 XJ, 4.0, AW4, NP231, D44, 3.73's, *Stolen*
1987 MJ Sportruck, 2.5, AX5, Rollbar, *Jeep Heaven*
1986 MJ, 2.5, T-5, bushbar, Longbox, *Jeep Heaven*
CanadianJeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
CNY
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopod
solid axle>IFS
That is not a true statement. There's plenty of times when the difference is not meaningful in any way, times when IFS is better, and times when solid is better.

Depends on what you're using it for. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/solid-axles-v-ifs-85823/
CNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:56 PM   #9
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

the xj can take a huge beating..the 4.0 in the jeeps is known to hit 300k pretty often. and ofcourse the explorer has ifs which is junk for offroad

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 07:59 PM   #10
lifted92xj
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNY
That is not a true statement. There's plenty of times when the difference is not meaningful in any way, times when IFS is better, and times when solid is better.

Depends on what you're using it for.
i'd have to disagree competely..i'd never want ifs for wheeling i cant think of 1 benefit to ifs besides ride quality on the street.

torsion bars limit flex, cv boots rip like nothing, the whole setup is alot heavier

my jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn
lifted92xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:00 PM   #11
Jeff9
2000 XJ Cherokee 

It all depends on what he wants out of the car. The Jeep has the definite advantage in durability especially since the aftermarket is so kind to it. In my opinion, this is a HUGE plus for a lasting investment.
Jeff
Jeff9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:02 PM   #12
CanadianJeep86

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopod
solid axle>IFS
True the solid axle has its advantages, but it all depends what your trying to do.
In some situations IFS is better, look at those rally trucks that run through the desert for example. They are running over 500hp, jumping 10, sometimes 15 feet into the air all day long and never break down. Could an ordinary solid axle do that? Hell even the Army uses IFS in their hummers and what not.
So while you may be entitled to your opinion, it all depends on what the person is trying to do with it
1989 XJ, 4.0, AW4, NP231, D44, 3.73's, *Stolen*
1987 MJ Sportruck, 2.5, AX5, Rollbar, *Jeep Heaven*
1986 MJ, 2.5, T-5, bushbar, Longbox, *Jeep Heaven*
CanadianJeep86 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #13
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifted92xj

torsion bars limit flex, cv boots rip like nothing, the whole setup is alot heavier
Plus a solid axle is much easier to modify (lift). No way in heck a d35 IFS setup is better than a HP d30 solid axle.

He said he was building a mild offroader, not a prerunner. Plus I highly doubt the IFS in an exploder is up to the task of prerunning
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:04 PM   #14
Jeepokee

I used to drive a '93 Explorer. Pure garbage. It has absolutely no power either. I couldn't pass anything uphill. The only plus it has over the XJ is more cargo space.
Unread 01-27-2008, 08:05 PM   #15
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Well longevity is the most important factor, and I do believe the jeep is best in that department. However, it seems I can get a 97-98 Explorer for the same price as a 91 Jeep. So that being said would you guys recommend getting an older Jeep, rather than a newer Ford?

Thanks for all the input, making my decision a lot easier

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.