Jeep Titles... What do I do with mine? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Jeep Titles... What do I do with mine?

Just a question of legality, or just wondering what people do... I parted out two jeep wranglers and all I have left of them is a VIN plate that attaches to the window (YJ) and a Title. Can I sell that to a potential "builder of a Wrangler"?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 04:19 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

People properly surrender the title and the vin plate to the salvage yard/scrap yard when they scrap a vehicle. I am surprised that the yard even took the tub without the vin and title as it is illegal around here to do so. Also buying and selling titles and vin plates is illegal and questions about doing so is frowned upon on this forum.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #3 of 15 Old 08-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

If by "potential builder of a Wrangler", you mean "car thief who wants a clean VIN on the Wrangler he just jacked" (not that that ever happens in Detroit)....No, it's not even close to being legal.
You need a firewall or tub with a second matching vin. Something that has some possibility of being a real vehicle again.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #4 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
They were gradually parted out over the time off about a year. The frames and tubs were so bad they got cut up into small pieces and gradually taken to the yard over a long period of time. I still have the engine and other stuff. I'm just a hobbiest and I don't but or sell vehicles often. I usually just sell parts I don't need.a Oneing I do see a lot are people who build from the frame up. And they get parts from wherever they can. One thing that should be frowned on here is ASSuming criminal activity when it's just a question from an ignorant person. I know selling them could be illegal to a guy who stole a jeep...
post #5 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
So basically just burn the title? I would hate a fellow jeeper get his rig taken away from him.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
In fact, now that I'm really thinking about it, who sells you a title when you buy a tub? Quadratech? They also sell frames... Do you get a title with that? If you roll a vehicle into a juck yard I bet they would ask for a title. But lots of people swap out tubs and frames and engines. Telling them to give up their title for sap send weird. But I guess in my case, just burn what I got.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 10:45 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Legality will vary by state DMV codes, but there is nothing morally "wrong" with selling a title and VIN tag. Yes, it could be mis-used by a person with criminal intent, but one might worry about the same thing when selling a firearm. What if you had bought a new frame and new tub and rebuilt one or both of those Jeeps, would they legal or illegal ?

A guy at work fabricated a street legal Jeep rock buggy and titled it as a 1948 CJ. It has been pictured and written about in Crawl magazine. About the only 1948 part on it, is the grille. Does that make the rest of the Jeep buggy illegal ?

Attached Images

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 10:55 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIWrangler View Post
They were gradually parted out over the time off about a year. The frames and tubs were so bad they got cut up into small pieces and gradually taken to the yard over a long period of time. I still have the engine and other stuff. I'm just a hobbiest and I don't but or sell vehicles often. I usually just sell parts I don't need.a Oneing I do see a lot are people who build from the frame up. And they get parts from wherever they can. One thing that should be frowned on here is ASSuming criminal activity when it's just a question from an ignorant person. I know selling them could be illegal to a guy who stole a jeep...
I didn't ASSume you were going to do anything criminal. You asked about the legality of having/selling a vin plate and title in your OP. Possessing/Selling of title and vin not attached to a vehicle is illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIWrangler View Post
In fact, now that I'm really thinking about it, who sells you a title when you buy a tub? Quadratech? They also sell frames... Do you get a title with that? If you roll a vehicle into a juck yard I bet they would ask for a title. But lots of people swap out tubs and frames and engines. Telling them to give up their title for sap send weird. But I guess in my case, just burn what I got.
Having bought an aftermarket tub, you do not get a title/vin with it. You either have a donor vehicle that the DMV/DOT will transfer the vin plate from once you prove ownership of both or you assemble a new vehicle and get an assembled vehicle title. Same as doing a t-bucket or a Shelby Cobra clone. You will get paperwork from the DMV/DOT that will allow you to scrap the old body.

You may do as you wish with the titles and vin plates, but as stated it is illegal to sell them separate from the tub.

post #9 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 11:04 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Legality will vary by state DMV codes, but there is nothing morally "wrong" with selling a title and VIN tag. Yes, it could be mis-used by a person with criminal intent, but one might worry about the same thing when selling a firearm. What if you had bought a new frame and new tub and rebuilt one or both of those Jeeps, would they legal or illegal ?

A guy at work fabricated a street legal Jeep rock buggy and titled it as a 1948 CJ. It has been pictured and written about in Crawl magazine. About the only 1948 part on it, is the grille. Does that make the rest of the Jeep buggy illegal ?
When you rebuild the Jeep/tub swap, it is correct to have the DMV transfer the vin to the new body.

The fabricated jeep is a 'kit' car. Nothing illegal as long as it was titled correctly. Here in Illinois you can title a kit car with the year and make to what it most closely resembles.

http://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/de...ustom_rod.html

post #10 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Also buying and selling titles and vin plates is illegal and questions about doing so is frowned upon on this forum.
completely disagree, this is a thoughtful question
post #11 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post

Having bought an aftermarket tub, you do not get a title/vin with it. You either have a donor vehicle that the DMV/DOT will transfer the vin plate from once you prove ownership of both or you assemble a new vehicle and get an assembled vehicle title. .
Are you a cop from Detroit? This seems like too much work for or them...
post #12 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post

Great idea! I've always wanted to make a trail crawler! I can see that being a project I start in like 10 years! Lol
post #13 of 15 Old 08-19-2017, 01:04 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

The proper way to handle those titles is to take them in to the DMV, turn them in and tell them the vehicles were parted out/scrapped. If they were titled in your name, as far as the state is concerned those vehicles still exist and you still own them.

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #14 of 15 Old 08-20-2017, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
MIWrangler
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Ok, I have no legit need for them, and they don't help any one else, I guess I'll just take them to SOS.
post #15 of 15 Old 08-21-2017, 05:31 PM
Indy

Depending on the state what op is suggestng is illegal. Any modification to the Vin plate is a no no, transferring a plate from 1 vehicle to another is also a no. It has to go through the govt agencies for the transfer. Doing what op suggests is the usual method to plate a stolen vehicle, so it's across the board illegal. But that's going to change depending where you are.

I'm the only gay eskimo.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.