Jeep Owner Desperate in Texas - JeepForum.com
 20Likes
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 112 Old 07-25-2017, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
linseed214

Jeep Owner Desperate in Texas

Hi there. I'm new to the forum, though I've visited the site often over the years to help troubleshoot and fix problems with our 1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport. I hope someone here can help us...

My husband, our daughter, our 3-legged shepherd dog and I piled into a UHaul and towed the Jeep from NJ to TX on a wing and a prayer, with financial support from our families. Unfortunately, we trusted the UHaul rep that hooked up our Jeep to their tow dolly (he insisted it would be fine to tow without disassembling the drive train) and now the transfer case is shot and the back brakes sound like hell. In addition, my sister backed out of her contribution to our trip at the last moment, so we're several thousand dollars short of our original budget.

We find ourselves stranded at an incredibly accommodating UHaul outside of Dallas, "living" in the parking lot, and using the undrivable Jeep as shelter with the bulk of our possessions in on-site storage. As time drags on, we continue to gradually deplete our supply of canned food and bottled water, and we don't have nearly enough money to fix what's wrong with the Jeep and get on the road.

We had planned to stay at a gorgeous free campsite in Lake Winnsboro so we could work for a few weeks and ultimately purchase a nice piece of land to operate an organic farm and non-bovine dairy as well as a not-for-profit animal rescue and shelter. (We farmed back in NJ, and we've been rescuing and rehabbing animals for decades.) We're hard workers and believe the best way forward is to lift up our community, one life at a time. Unfortunately, we can't help anyone right now.

My family - especially my amazing husband, who's had to walk miles at a time for food and water for the rest of us - isn't doing well in the TX heat without a cool place to rest, so we desperately need to get somewhere out of the sun to recuperate.

We're considering selling the Jeep - probably for parts and preferably to a Jeep lover - so we can leave the parking lot and get back on track. I hope there's an incredible Samaritan out there who is looking to acquire a nearly-functional vehicle with a few known inspection issues, and is willing to take our situation into account when negotiating a price. Or perhaps there's someone in the area with time, skills, and the needed parts plus the desire to help another person, who would simply fix up the Jeep and get us going (we WILL pay you back, in time but in FULL). Our last hope would be to find someone looking to trade another vehicle (that seats at least 4) for the Jeep. We're honestly not looking for a handout, but rather seek a hand UP.

As I mentioned, we're literally living in the parking lot of a UHaul facility and have been since Saturday afternoon. They have a bathroom available for ~12 hours daily, and the staff has been sympathetic and willing to let us remain on site since we're not disturbing anyone and aren't messy or loud, but we don't feel right staying here.

If anyone can help, please respond. If you have any ideas or know of something or someone that could help us, let me know, please.

Thank you for reading this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 112 Old 07-28-2017, 12:34 AM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Never fear Linseed, I was just informed that a very wealthy African Prince has died and left me as his only heir .

Once I work out the details with his attorney I will get right back to you and your worries are over with .
post #3 of 112 Old 07-29-2017, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
linseed214

Well, good luck. My family's needs won't wait for your imaginary prince, and I certainly hope your lack of seriousness about our situation doesn't deter anyone actually interested in helping us.
post #4 of 112 Old 07-29-2017, 10:55 PM
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Story makes no sense

If you don't have two nickels to rub together where was the money coming from to buy land and start a dairy?

"The right to be heard does not necessarily include the right to be taken seriously." —Hubert Humphrey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 112 Old 07-29-2017, 11:25 PM
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

My thoughts too JB, and as a good example:

" My family - especially my amazing husband, who's had to walk miles at a time for food and water for the rest of us - isn't doing well in the TX heat without a cool place to rest, so we desperately need to get somewhere out of the sun to recuperate. "

If they have access to UHaul's bathrooms for 12 hours a day then why is the husband walking miles for water ?

The whole thing sounds way to bogus for me .
post #6 of 112 Old 07-30-2017, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
linseed214

"We had planned to stay at a gorgeous free campsite in Lake Winnsboro so we could work for a few weeks and ultimately purchase a nice piece of land to operate an organic farm and non-bovine dairy as well as a not-for-profit animal rescue and shelter."

The plan was for both of us to work so we could afford the land purchase, but that was dependent on getting to the free campsite in Winnsboro, which couldn't happen once the Jeep was broken. Did you not read the whole story?
post #7 of 112 Old 07-30-2017, 10:26 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Unfortunately, a story is all this is. You've never posted here before, nobody here knows you, or has any reason to believe you. After all, this is the internet equivalent of panhandling on a street corner.
We all know a lot of panhandlers do it as a profession and drive home in their 40k car at the end of the day. Why should we think this is any different?

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #8 of 112 Old 07-30-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
linseed214

Anyone with doubts is free to contact me directly. I'd gladly put you in touch with the GM of the UHaul we "live" at to verify our story.

Their drinking water is metallic-tasting, and not meant for long-term subsistence, so my husband walks to a "nearby" 7-11 for drinkable water and food. BTW, UHaul being open 7am to 7pm might sound like a long time to you, but spend all day and night in a parking lot in TX for a week and see how thirsty you are...

I pray none of you ever find yourself in need, if this is how your "community" cares for its own... How heartless...
post #9 of 112 Old 07-30-2017, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
linseed214

Panhandling?! I was looking for 1) someone to buy the Jeep, 2) someone to fix the Jeep, and we'd pay them back after working a while, or 3) someone who'd trade a car for the Jeep.
post #10 of 112 Old 07-30-2017, 10:49 AM
snkenai
1995 ZJ 

I am more than disappointed in the response to these folks plight. Having traveled on a very tight budget most of my life, and been broken down more times than I care to remember, I sympathize, but cannot help. We live in Alaska, and on fixed income. I think I will just check out, and say good bye.

So, good bye.

Steve
post #11 of 112 Old 07-31-2017, 11:13 PM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Leave the Jeep there.
You already have the U haul. Go to the free campsite and do your work.
A 99 Cherokee with a blown out transfer case is not worth much. You would be better off calling a scrap yard to come get it. You may be able to get $500 out of it. Try calling some of the pick and pull lots. They may give you more.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 112 Old 07-31-2017, 11:17 PM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linseed214 View Post
"We had planned to stay at a gorgeous free campsite in Lake Winnsboro so we could work for a few weeks and ultimately purchase a nice piece of land to operate an organic farm and non-bovine dairy as well as a not-for-profit animal rescue and shelter."

The plan was for both of us to work so we could afford the land purchase, but that was dependent on getting to the free campsite in Winnsboro, which couldn't happen once the Jeep was broken. Did you not read the whole story?
They must pay really well.

93 YJ SOA 2" springs front, XJ springs rear w/main leaf added, High pinon 9 inch rear detroit locker front Dana 44 ARB 4.56 Gears, 36 inch Irok tires too much to list.
post #13 of 112 Old 08-01-2017, 09:03 AM
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by linseed214 View Post

We had planned to stay at a gorgeous free campsite in Lake Winnsboro so we could work for a few weeks and ultimately purchase a nice piece of land to operate an organic farm and non-bovine dairy as well as a not-for-profit animal rescue and shelter.
Are campgrounds different in TX? Ive never heard of one that would let you just move in and live there. Also pay must be great down there, a few weeks work is all it takes to by enough land for a farm. I should hit the road fast and head on down....... All i need to get started is a few donations from some kindly strangers, Who wants to be first??

It Wouldn't Be A Project If Everything Worked Right.
post #14 of 112 Old 08-01-2017, 09:37 AM
MIjeep86
2006 TJ Wrangler 

That really stinks. With that being said, can I have the number to verify your whereabouts?
post #15 of 112 Old 08-01-2017, 08:35 PM
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

How about the address of the U Haul store?
Post it up that would work for me. I have friends all around Dallas.

Closed Thread

Tags
help needed , outdoors , pets , repairs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.