Jeep Liberty - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Jeep Liberty

JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 05-30-2001, 10:27 PM   #16
Jack Evers

You guys are really encouraging. I've got a Cherokee Country coming off lease and a 2002 Liberty waiting to be picked up.

Unread 06-08-2001, 11:29 PM   #17
NESurvival

So I also decided to go see my dealer and look at a Liberty.

The suspension in front looks pretty beefy for its size, IMO.

In the rear, the bump stops were only off the axle by 1.5"

The muffler is LONG, about three and a half feet. The model I was looking at was lacking the *optional* skid plates and that muffler looked way vulnerable. I mean real rock food here, people. I've been searching for a pic that shows what the skid plates cover, but I couldn't find one.

The rear seat was nice. I'm 5'9" and I fit just fine. Enough leg room to be comfortable. The remaining cargo space looked to be enough for our groceries, no more.

Anyway, I can't want to rent one of these for the weekend.
NESurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2001, 02:43 AM   #18
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I saw my first Liberty up close today and IMO the Liberty is all about LOOKS - plain and simple! (and yet I still prefer the so-called outdated design of my Cherokee)

From comparing the specs to the XJ, it takes a step back in off-road capability given the IFS and less ground clearance. Also has less cargo capacity and a smaller gas-tank. Any advertising that portrays the Liberty as a serious offroad vehicle is a sham. I will however give it credit by saying it probably would outdo a RAV4, CRV, or KIA. But anyone who buys this because of its "fancy" looks, probably won't be taking it offroad anyway.

Oh, and what about the "new" V-6 engine? Just another sales gimmic. "New" must mean "better" right? The I-6 design is a time-proven bulletproof engine. So what if the V-6 has a whole whopping 10 hp more? (assuming nobody played with the numbers to achieve it) Will it truly be as good and RELIABLE as the I-6?

Now don't nobody get me wrong - I ain't gonna critisize anyone for driving one of these. I just get pissed when they market the Liberty as being better than the "outdated" vehicle it replaced

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2001, 03:15 AM   #19
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Ok... The new V6 has 20 more ponies than the 4.0L. But it's up at 5000 rpm. The torque is 235, which is the same as XJ's up to 2000, for 2001 they were de-tuned to 225 to make the Liberty look better. The Liberty makes peak torque at 4400 rpm vs. 3000 for the 4.0L.

To me that high horsepower-high RPM engine would be way more suited to a mid-sized sedan or sports coupe than a truck/sport-ute. It's just not a truck engine, no matter what they say.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2001, 10:24 PM   #20
kdhutton

I looked at the Liberty just afew days ago and while I wouldn't get it if I were just going off road I was very impressed with the fit and finish as well as the workmanship. I am thinking of getting one for my all around family car. . . but I would be surprised if lifts and aftermarket stuff is already in design. . . the dealer I talked to said they can't get enough of them to keep up with demand.
just my 2 cents
kdhutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2001, 05:21 PM   #21
Jack Evers

Picked up my Liberty Limited yesterday and so far we're thrilled. It's a four wheel drive with off road package but really don't do much off road stuff. Looks to be a great vehicle for us and a worthy replacement for our Cherokee Country.
Unread 06-21-2001, 06:56 PM   #22
horatio102
Web Wheeler

It's probably a good car, suitable for light duty off-roading. It'll take you a bit farther than an Outback, but I don't think it's as capable as the XJ when off of paved roads. I could be wrong though. I think Jeep just jumped on the 'cute-ute' bandwagon bigtime. Not that Toyota didn't either. Or even Subaru with the Forester (tall wagon). I have just had some major personal philosophical changes recently and think it's a disgusting waste of natural resources to buy a sport ute just because it's the cool thing to buy. There are so many single guys in this area driving Expeditions, so many families of three with Suburbans, etc. And those people who claim they bought Expeditions or F-150s because they're "safer" I just shake my head in pity for. Then I laugh at them.
If you're going to drive to work and back, take the family around, get a car. There's no need. If you're going to tow a boat or haul bulky items around, get a truck. If you're got a birth control problem and need to cart your litter around, then fine. Get a 9 seat van or utility wagon. If you're actually going to take it off road, going camping, towing boats, etc. then get a 4x4. If you live in an area that gets a lot of snow, get an awd. If you've got a need for it, get it. If it just looks cool, whatever. It's not much better than buying a Hummer to commute to work in, just a slightly smaller scale.
- sorry to offend, I'm just stirring up trouble. This board is too quiet.
Unread 06-22-2001, 11:21 PM   #23
robs

I'll catch poop for this... but the 4.0 I6 is a DOG!!!

Bow Wow!!! With the 31" Swampers... 5th gear is just a memory!!!!

Without a doubt... the best engine out there today is the 90° V6 3.8 L GM..... you can't compare it to the 4.0L Chrysler I-6.... I welcome the new power plants!
Unread 06-23-2001, 04:45 AM   #24
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Robs - Looking at it on paper the 40 should do better on trails than freeway cruising, kind of like th 4.2 being better at crawling. That GM 3.8 is a nice motor, for a highway vehicle. My dad has a Regal GS with the supercharged version. Very nice indeed. I can't wait to get a look at the new GM I6. It has a lot of potential.
The 4.0 could have done a lot better. Chrysler just quit trying with it. I mean come on... My 2.5L H4 can be tweaked to produce more power normally aspirated, and throw a turbo on it it's good for a lot more.
Unread 06-24-2001, 08:35 PM   #25
bluebellyday

I wonder if Jeep is trying to be political correct by droping Native American names.
Thus we get liberty.
bluebellyday is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2001, 09:59 PM   #26
sundski

i am very dissapointed with the liberty. it is a wussy car and I personally will never buy from a jeep dealership again. they need to redeem themselves bad. ty,yj,xj,xz all rule but the liberty sucks!!!!!!!!!
sundski is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.