Jeep Folklore - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Jeep Folklore

Dual Color LED Light Bars White/AmberTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGAlloy USA Still Available

Unread 11-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #1
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Jeep Folklore

Hello everybody! As part of my general requirement at my new university, I am having to take a class on Folklore. The final project for the class is to collect folklore from a particular folk group. I bet you can all guess what I chose to collect for the class. I am hoping I can get a few volunteers or referrals of people who would be willing to share Jeep related stories, philosophy, etc, as well as pictures showing off their modified Jeeps. I still need to write up formal interview questions, but I wanted to see if there would be any interest first. Everything is completely voluntary, and 100% anonymous; I don't need to know anything about you that you don't willingly share. Thanks in advance for you help, and I look forward to some really awesome stories and pictures!

Unread 11-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Hmm...good question. I didn't think of that. I'll repost there in a few days, after I've had a chance to get things a little more put together, that way I can include some of the questions I'll be asking.
Unread 12-02-2012, 03:49 PM   #3
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

OK, since I am broadening this from just looking for stories, I am still posting here. I will put some invites in some of the other forums to try to draw more people to participate
Unread 12-02-2012, 03:50 PM   #4
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Thank you everyone who is reading this. I know it is lengthy, but I failed at trying to find a shorter, easier way of doing this. To the point, I am trying to complete a project for a Folklore class. I am arguing for the existence of a Jeeper folk group. I desperately need input from Jeepers to test my hypotheses and substantiate my claims, and I need examples of folklore. That is where you come in. I need your help. Below I have listed some really broad, general questions in three basic areas. First, if you can PLEASE skim over them, and give me your thoughts so I can use your input to define who we are as a group, and what brings us together. Second, for the folklore portions, can I get volunteers to allow me to use photos of their Jeeps, preferably modified in some way, to submit as examples of Jeep folk art? To clarify, I am not saying that having an unmodified Jeep prevents you from being a Jeeper, but without modification of some kind, I cannot argue that your Jeep is folk art. Stories would be great, too, and do not require a modified Jeep. Thank you again, everyone for your time and input, and thank you to the forum Gods for permitting me to use this forum in this way. If you want to post answers here, that is great. If you would prefer to send me a message, that would be awesome, too, especially if you have any questions for me, or thoughts on how to modify these questions better.

So you are aware, my school, Utah State University, maintains a folklore database. Submissions will hopefully find their way into that database for use by future folklorists in their research. That doesn’t mean that you need to be proper or dignified in any way. Be yourselves, answer honestly, and know that your words will probably be reproduced. To my knowledge, Jeepers have never been studied as a fold group. Also note that, contrary to the requirements, I will only use your screen names as pseudonyms to identify who you are, and nothing else. I refuse to collect any other information, as I don’t feel it is important, and because I feel that online anonymity is extremely important. If it weren’t, we wouldn’t use screen names, would we?

Definition

How do we define ourselves? Obviously, we identify ourselves, in part, by our Jeeps. Is there more to being a Jeep guy or gal than owning and/or modifying a Jeep? Do we stop being a Jeeper if we find ourselves temporarily lacking a Jeep? Is that guy that pulls off the dealership lot with a brand new Wrangler and $30,000 in aftermarket mods, who never plans on taking the Jeep off-road, and knows that he will trade it in a year or two for something new? How ‘bout that guy with the heavily modded ‘Yoda FJ40? Do you consider yourself a Jeeper?

Personality

Keep in mind your thoughts about the above questions. What else defines who and what we are? What skills, attributes, or personality traits do we need? Think about Jeep people you might admire. What skills, attributes, or personality traits do they possess that we admire? Do the same with Jeeps. What Jeeps do you admire and why?

Jeep Stuff

If you own a Jeep, do you take pride in it? Why? What is it about your Jeep that you love so much? How have you customized your Jeep to better suit your needs or just to make it more pleasing? What else do you realistically think you will likely do to it? What else would you want to do, unrealistically?

Non-Jeep Stuff

What else do you think we may have in common? Do we share similar music tastes? Do we all like fried chicken? What other outdoor activities do you participate in? What about indoor activities? What kind of beer do you drink?
Unread 12-02-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

So you are aware, I will be on most of the time for the next several day to monitor responses and make modifications as necessary. If you send me a private message, I should be able to respond within a few hours, at most. Thanks again!
Unread 12-02-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Update 1: It might be useful to see if there are differences in opinions between lady Jeepers and um, not-so-lady Jeepers. Just a thought.
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Free bump for helping a Jeeper.

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:16 PM   #8
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Thanks man!

Would it be inappropriate (now that I've already done it a little...oops) to post in some of the vehicle specific technical discussions asking people to come help over here?
Unread 12-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Tylerzap
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Hmm... i would post in the stories section and the Non Tech sections. People will get mad if you post in Tech since its not tech.

1988 Jeep Comanche 4x4 Longbed - POS
Tylerzap is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #10
toads
1985 CJ7 

Its all about the wave. I read a article in JP mag or Petersons that might help.
toads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:46 PM   #11
KickboxingSloth
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Here's my story!

So the story starts out with me riding in my friends 2005 TJ on our way to a local lake to go mudding/fishing when as were going 65 on the freeway his engine starts knocking and sputters to a stop on the shoulder. We were stranded there around 30-40 minutes trying some bush fixes when a 2001 Blue TJ pulls over behind us. And Miles Austin (Receiver for the Cowboys) gets out of the driver seat and asked us if we needed help we of coarse said yes. so he tooled around with the engine for a while asking us troubleshooting questions and he came to a conclusion that is was our master cylinder and clutch and he called a tow truck paid for the tow, proceeds to give us a lift to the shop where he pays the $800 for the repair. He asked us where we were headed so we told him. He ended up taking us offroading then taking us back to my friends house and having dinner with their whole family. He also gave us Box Seats for the Thanksgiving day game
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #12
toads
1985 CJ7 

quick google search

One of the biggest mind-numbing complaints recently in the world of Jeep-based forums are the recurring threads about the Jeep-wave in which this wave mainly sticks with the owners of the MB, GPW, CJ, YJ, TJ, and some JKs (primarily the ones who had owned previous Wranglers or CJs and are familiar with the wave).

Owners of the other models of the Jeep brand have started to get a little irate with this whole wave thing. Not to mention there have been quite a few complaints from the Wrangler/CJ crowd that most of the JK owners don’t wave either. It’s become a complete nag session and a waste of storage space about a simple hand gesture. And to sum up the complaints, people are pissed because no one is acknowledging them.

First of all, if you’re pissed because you’re not acknowledged by a complete stranger who you may see for only 5 to10 seconds, you’ve got bigger issues.

I have to admit that I never gave the wave thing a second thought when I first got into jeeping in 2007. I just figured it was just a Jeep thing. Then today I spotted a post in one of these stupid Jeep-wave complaint sessions that I normally stay away from (to be honest, I accidentally clicked on it), but it hit me like a ton of rusted Jeep parts.

After all the research I did on the progression of the MB/GPW up to the JK and all the M.A.S.H episodes I watched over at a buddy’s house (he was M.A.S.H. fan), I never gave it one thought. At first when I realized this forgotten fact I felt a little ashamed at not realizing how basic and how obvious it was, but then again, I’m just a youngun and wasn’t around when the military Jeep was first introduced.

Just picture it—the European Theater, the air is thick with dust and smoke. Off in the distance is a GPW carrying a few badly wounded soldiers to a M.A.S.H. unit not too far away from the battle, and as they rounded a corner of trees there is an MB on its way back to the front lines to pick up another group of soldiers who are wounded. As these two Jeeps pass one another, they give a simple hand gesture.

This particular gesture was basically used to acknowledge one another in a rather depressing environment, and on occasion a salute would be given to a superior officer in a passing Jeep. I’m sure this simple gesture was also a good way to identify spies.

The first GPW/MBs that were introduced into the civilian market were mainly owned by retired and active military personnel because they liked the vehicle so much while in the war and had to have one for home use. By pure habit, these men who fought so hard for our freedom waved to one another and thus began almost 65 years of honoring those who died for us to protect our freedom.

So honor our vets from today and from the past by presenting this simple gesture, and don’t worry about if you get one back. It’s a wave to honor those who fought for us.
Stan Hawker
Moore, OK

Read more: http://www.jpmagazine.com/mailbag/15...#ixzz2DwvkCi6j
Unread 12-02-2012, 06:53 PM   #13
toads
1985 CJ7 

I will think of a few tonight. By the way I live just south of USU. Can see Old Main out my window.
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:07 PM   #14
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Good suggestion. That's kinda what I was thinking.
Unread 12-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
LordBhael
1998 ZJ 

Thank you guys! Keep it coming!

Honestly, I was starting to freak out thinking no one would bite.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.