Jeep Dilemma - need opinions - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Jeep Dilemma - need opinions

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 05-02-2013, 08:52 PM   #1
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Jeep Dilemma - need opinions

My first vehicle was a 93 Jeep Cherokee at 16 years old. Drove it for about 5.5 years...took it from 106k to 189k and sold it for a Nissan Sentra. This was meant to be a money saving measure and to have something reliable to drive through the rest of college etc. Once I graduated and got married, I had a bit more money flowing and just couldn't shake the Jeep thing. So, I bought a second vehicle, but decided to go with a 1995 YJ Sahara. I shopped around and found a gem. This was 8 months after I got married and I was 24 at the time. I am now 31 and divorced!!

It was never my primary vehicle. It sat in the garage and I drive it only on the weekends, etc. I kept driving the Sentra for the daily driving and I babied the Jeep.

Fast forward about 6 years and I got a serious crawl for a boat. So, I bought a boat. It is a 15 foot boat, but is full lined fiberglass, 4 stroke motor, and is actually fairly heavy. It is probably right at or slightly above the tow rating of the Jeep. I used the Jeep to pull the boat successfully, but it didn't like long trips and it pinged a little bit. I could tell it was struggling to handle the boat and being a manual transmission, it was a bit more involved to get the boat out of the water.

So, I made the decision to get an SUV or a truck to replace the Sentra and something that was more becoming of my size (6' 4") and more importantly something that would pull the boat easily.

I shopped around and ended up buying a 2006 Ford Explorer 4x4. The condition of it (immaculate) and the price 11,900 plus fees, sold me on it. I got it home and after going over it and seeing just how clean and immaculate it was, my mind starting playing games with me that because it is so much nicer than the Jeep, maybe I should sell the Jeep and keep the old reliable Sentra (runs like a top) and put the Explorer into the garage and basically replace the "baby" with a new one.

For the last several days, I have convinced myself that this is best. I get to drive a fuel saving car, have a nice ride in the garage, best of all worlds.

Let me say firstly that the Explorer got HORRIBLE reviews on the internet. Not reliable, buggy, bad radiators, bad transmissions, etc. I guess I didn't do my research as thoroughly as I should have, so I do have a bit of buyer's remorse, but the truck drives just fine.

So, at the end of the day, I am worried about selling the Jeep and regretting it, substituting the Explorer - which is a bit more a throw away type vehicle than a Jeep - merely because it is in such good condition. I look at my Jeep with some minor sun damage, its a bit rough around the edges, bumpy, loud, etc and then look at the plush leather seating, smooth ride, nice drive of the Explorer and it is easy to think to sell the Jeep.

But, I always thought I would own the Jeep for EVER and honestly, because it is a babied garage vehicle (btw, only one free garage slot, so if I keep the Jeep, the Explorer goes outside in the weather and will deteriorate more quickly) my other cars will probably come and go over the years.

So, should I keep the Jeep although it has no functional use to me besides making smiles, sell the fuel saving car that runs like a top, and plan on leaving the immaculate Explorer in the sun, rain, and wind in the driveway?

Or should I sell the functionally useless Jeep, park the Explorer in the garage out of the elements, drive the car to save fuel, and not look back?

I figure if I do the former, in 10 years, I'll still have the Jeep and the chances of the Explorer still being functional and reliable at that time is slim to none. Explorers don't hold any value, the Jeep does. Just because the Explorer is nicer right now doesn't mean it makes the most sense to baby it and banish the Jeep.

I am truly TORN!!

Unread 05-03-2013, 10:43 PM   #2
Divinitous
Disgruntled Jeepforum'er

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Keep the jeep. Can you tow the boat safely with the jeep? How far will you have to tow the boat? Does the boat have trailer brakes?

Maybe sell YJ and explorer to buy a 4 door JK? They have a higher towing capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enzo Ferrari
"The Jeep is Americas only real sports car!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlaine
"Jeeps do not make jeepers, jeepers make Jeeps."
Divinitous is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:54 PM   #3
Budke
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Simple solution.
Take the explorer back, throw a v8 in the YJ with d44s front and rear and a good set of brakes.
done.

Colbert 2016!
Sometimes I question my sanity. Occasionally it replies.
Budke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

sell the exploder and get a GC as your DD/Tow/comfy vehicle. Keep your weekend Jeep in the garage.
Unread 05-06-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Sell all three and get a Prius.

That is what people do that can't decide life choices for themselves and come to an internet site for strangers to tell them what to do.
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:11 PM   #6
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cause View Post
Sell all three and get a Prius.

That is what people do that can't decide life choices for themselves and come to an internet site for strangers to tell them what to do.
I forgot, no one knows more then him. I come to an online forum to ask for opinions all the time about my vehicle. Seems to me he was seeking thoughts, advice and opinions, because maybe, just maybe someone knows more then him and has a good idea
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:22 PM   #7
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
I forgot, no one knows more then him. I come to an online forum to ask for opinions all the time about my vehicle. Seems to me he was seeking thoughts, advice and opinions, because maybe, just maybe someone knows more then him and has a good idea
....and he got precisely what he asked for... an opinion of what he should do!
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
....and he got precisely what he asked for... an opinion of what he should do!
well, no offense, but I hate your opinion.
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #9
Cause
WHAT !!!!

"Hate" is a strong word sonny.
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hmn. I understand why you are torn. Could you park the boat at the lake or location you are going boating? If you always go to rhe same spot the boat could stay there, you just take it home over the winter and store it with a boat cover. For those two trips you could always get either a friend to tow it for you or rent a truck to tow it or do it with the jeep. Maybe reinforce the jeep axles for easier towing.

About the ford: I am not a ford person. I have this Chevy thing. Love my 06 silverado hd, dura max diesel, that's my baby.
I understand that your truck might not get such a great review, but if it has been taken good care of, you might have an exceptional nice car.

I think I would definitely KEEP the Jeep. Try to park the boat hear your lake(rent a space in the marina), drive your jeep more often and for zipping around keep the sentry. Now depending what the gas mileage is between sentry and ford, see for yourself. Maybe run some numbers mpg ford vs sentra. You could also take whatever you don't use of registration and insurance and park it inside of the garage. There are different options for you.

Me personally, I dig my jeep and my silverado. And I die tomorrow, I hope I drove them both today...
Lol

Burry me in my jeep
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:44 PM   #11
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
"Hate" is a strong word sonny.
Doesn't mean it's not true
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #12
A_Ninja_Racer

Could you get a car cover for the Jeep or exploder and keep it outside with the sentra? I have a Tacoma (My Baby) a Celica (My DD) a honda vtx (My Toy) and a 6x12 foot enclosed trailer(My Toy Hauler/makeshift Camper). I will admit that It hurts when my birthday comes around because of having to renew all those tags But I have a use for all of them so I can't get rid of them.

Edit - I am also single so there is nobody else driving them.
A_Ninja_Racer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #13
Bigshankhank
2000 TJ Wrangler 

So you are using the Explorer to tow your boat to and from the lake, and you think it is going to stay nice and pristine? If you know the vehicle will depreciate faster than the YJ, leave it outside and don't worry about it. None of them will last forever, and since the Ferd is already 7 years old little niggling things will start falling apart/cracking/deteriorating whether or not it is garage kept and especially if it is a tow to the lake vehicle. Keep all three, park the Jeep in the garage.
Bigshankhank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
bryris
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Decided to keep all three. The original intention was to replace the aging Sentra with the truck. Once I got my hands on the truck and saw just how clean it was, I wanted to put it into the garage. With only one garage slot, my mind started wandering that maybe I should sell the Jeep and use the proceeds to pay down the truck loan. Toss and turned over the idea and put both the car and the Jeep on craigslist. No serious bites on either in the time it was listed. So, long story short, I am going back to plan A – replace the car with the truck and keep the Jeep. However, since the car isn’t worth much money, it is actually more valuable as a fuel saver and will keep most of the hard “have to” miles off of the other equipment. As a side effect, the truck and the Jeep will sit in the garage most of the time and will be driven weekends. I doubt I’ll drive the Jeep more than 2-3k a year. But left inside out of the elements, it’ll maintain value and I can drive it on those days when the weather just screams to have the top off. My dream with the Jeep when I got it was to enjoy it, but it was to own it for the rest of my life. The less it is used for hard driving, the more of a classic standout example of a YJ it will become. There aren’t many YJs that are stock in the condition that mine is in. There is a pride in that and it will get more and more so as the years pass by.

The car – cheap, fuel efficient, reliable, and I don’t care if it sits outside and bakes in the sun and rain.
Jeep – Fun, timeless, easy to work on, top comes off, classic.
Truck – pulls the boat, plush inside, classy, good quiet highway cruiser, and family hauler.

In this configuration, I don’t think I’ll be needing a new vehicle for years. The Jeep and truck will only see easy occasional driving, so should last a super long time to fulfill the purpose they are intended for.

The downside is that I have to tag three vehicles and insure them.

The boat will go to the backyard under a boat cover for now.

If the car starts giving me hell later on, I might make the Explorer my DD then. But it doesn’t make sense to sell the car when it sips gas and has long since been paid for and runs like a top.

Guess I need to buy another tag.
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
THOR114
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am kinda in the same boat. My old chevy is my around town car, my jeep for fun and my silverado is my workhorse. I love them all. I understand your decision. The only thing what i think is if i dont drivebthe jeep or my silverado i feel like i missed something. But how do u drive two cars with only one a..????!!!

You might though wanna give your jeep the garage spot

It prob would give u a hug for that
THOR114 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.