Jan 30 -- Mythbusters vs. Plane on a Treadmill (finally!) - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Jan 30 -- Mythbusters vs. Plane on a Treadmill (finally!)

JK Front 3 Link Prototype - Clayton Off RoadDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 01-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #91
CHRRRIS
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by opiv
The plane will take off and then get stuck on the handles... the treadmill wins...
You said it yourself, the plane will take off.. So technically....... I win.

Current - '98 Black Z28 with some goodies
Previous - '97 Gun Metal Blue TJ

Northern Illinois Extreme Jeep Club
www.ExtremeJeepClub.com
CHRRRIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:34 PM   #92
dz1087
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki
Ah! But nobody said the treadmill had a catapult! *stir*

I don't think the Doolittle Raiders had catapults either...

I was simply pointing out that we use the physics (somewhat) of the treadmill problem everyday to launch aircraft from carriers.

Air Force Jeep Club - Tail# JF037AD
'03 TJ Sport, Black on White, Stock. [[Gone]]
'99 XJ, Purple, Stock but with new wheels.

Running Doorless? Check your state's Mirror Laws!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f176/list-state-mirror-laws-565361/

There can be no fifty-fifty Americanism in this country. There is room here for only 100% Americanism, only for those who are Americans and nothing else.
Theodore Roosevelt
dz1087 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:37 PM   #93
SomeGuysName
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I can see where you're coming from, but if you're talking linear speed of the wheel then effectively you're talking about the forward velocity of the aircraft though.
Exactly...the linear speed of the wheel will always match the forward speed of the plane.

Either way, we all know in the spirit of this myth that they mean linear speed since rotational speed would break the question, so I would accept either question.
SomeGuysName is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #94
pyro9862

I understand perfectly where the plane takes off argument comes from. The propulsion does not come from the wheels. However the wheels need to spin for the plane to move forward right? The treadmill matches the speed of the plane correct? So as the plane tries to accelerate the treadmill speeds up. The plane tries to accelerate more, and the treadmill speeds up. Within seconds what you have is both the treadmill and wheels infinatly accelerating each trying to overcome the other.

So the real answer to the question, within seconds the tires are spinning at thousands of miles per hour since the entire thrust of those motors is doing nothing but spinning them. The tires catch fire, shred, or do something not good, the plane falls onto the convener belt and gets launched backwards at about 2000mph and you get a cool looking fireball.
pyro9862 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:42 PM   #95
SomeGuysName
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro9862
I understand perfectly where the plane takes off argument comes from. The propulsion does not come from the wheels. However the wheels need to spin for the plane to move forward right?
No....it doesnt even need wheels...skis work just fine in lots of cases...
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:46 PM   #96
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuysName
Either way, we all know in the spirit of this myth that they mean linear speed since rotational speed would break the question, so I would accept either question.
Certainly in the classic problem, the question is about linear speed, but lecturers will tend to reword questions to see if you're paying attention, so it's important to answer the question that was actually asked instead of the one that's usually asked.
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:49 PM   #97
SomeGuysName
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Certainly in the classic problem, the question is about linear speed, but lecturers will tend to reword questions to see if you're paying attention, so it's important to answer the question that was actually asked instead of the one that's usually asked.
Yeah I know...that's just something I've heard them say when wording can come into play on a myth: "In the spirit of the myth blah blah blah" Yes, my humor skills suck...
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #98
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

I don't recall asking anyone whether they thought the plane would take off or not. I was just giving heads up for the show. There's plenty of other threads to be retarded in. <>

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:08 PM   #99
BS87
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz1087

Is that what I think it is, why it is! That is indeed a wake behind that boat, which means it's moving. Now, it seems to be moving in the same direction that the Hawkeye appears to be setup to take-off in. That would be almost the opposite to the argument presented here! Does the Navy know they can't possibly launch that plane cause it won't take off?

NO! Since both the ship AND plane will be moving forwards, it will break the speed of LIGHT upon launch and transport into the future (or past).
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:39 PM   #100
Indy

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:42 PM   #101
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro9862
I understand perfectly where the plane takes off argument comes from. The propulsion does not come from the wheels. However the wheels need to spin for the plane to move forward right? The treadmill matches the speed of the plane correct? So as the plane tries to accelerate the treadmill speeds up. The plane tries to accelerate more, and the treadmill speeds up. Within seconds what you have is both the treadmill and wheels infinatly accelerating each trying to overcome the other.

So the real answer to the question, within seconds the tires are spinning at thousands of miles per hour since the entire thrust of those motors is doing nothing but spinning them. The tires catch fire, shred, or do something not good, the plane falls onto the convener belt and gets launched backwards at about 2000mph and you get a cool looking fireball.
I guess it just can't be said enough...
freewheel
freewheel
freewheel
freewheel
freewheel
freewheel
freewheel
The wheels can spin until they explode, but since they're not tied to the object, they won't effect it.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2008, 11:19 PM   #102
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip J Fry
I don't recall asking anyone whether they thought the plane would take off or not. I was just giving heads up for the show. There's plenty of other threads to be retarded in. <>
It was implied
Unread 01-23-2008, 12:29 AM   #103
MattTheMudder
Ask Mr. Owl

1999 TJ Wrangler 

That depends... What color is the plane?
Unread 01-23-2008, 06:30 AM   #104
opiv
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattTheMudder
That depends... What color is the plane?
and will peanuts be served?
It will take off but be about an hour late if they do the experiment at LaGuardia airport.
Unread 01-23-2008, 08:48 AM   #105
Whybu1
Lets go Penguins!!!!

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BS87
NO! Since both the ship AND plane will be moving forwards, it will break the speed of LIGHT upon launch and transport into the future (or past).

The carrier turns INTO the wind and goes to full speed to increse the wind speed over the wings of the aircraft. If they turned with the wind and went to full speed it is entirely possible the aircraft would not have sufficient lift to remain airborne at the end of the deck.

The propeller on planes generates forward movement (thrust) which in turn provides airspeed over the wings resulting in lift. The propeller alone does not generate enough air to provide lift. If you take away airflow over the wings the plane remains grounded.

Now, if you have enough thrust and you can ignore lift then anything can fly (ie rockets). So it is possible (esp with lightweight remote control aircraft) to use thrust rather than lift to "fly".
Whybu1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.