Jan 30 -- Mythbusters vs. Plane on a Treadmill (finally!) - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Jan 30 -- Mythbusters vs. Plane on a Treadmill (finally!)

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-22-2008, 10:50 AM   #61
Rollin
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopod
But it IS producing resistance. Friction from the spinning wheels. Read post 17
Do you realize how little friction that is? What happens when you lift up one tire on an open axle. How easy is it to spin it? Now add thousands of pounds of thrust. Simple physics. How do seagulls fly into a landward breeze without moving forward or backward? Has to to with the air going over their wings and not how fast they are moving in relation to the ground.

84k Miles

Imported from Detroit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:52 AM   #62
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover
Winner = Kyoseki for using the word 'ergo'.
I like the word ergo And thusly, but mostly ergo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dopod
Well I aways thought it was supposed to match the wheels. If it's supposed to match the speed of the plane than I agree with you.
In the classic question it's supposed to match the plane's forward speed, the last time it was asked on here, the poster said it had to match the wheel's forward speed, which is, as I say, an impossible situation.
Unread 01-22-2008, 10:58 AM   #63
jeepsarecool
1982 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoseki
In the classic question it's supposed to match the plane's forward speed, the last time it was asked on here, the poster said it had to match the wheel's forward speed, which is, as I say, an impossible situation.

Agreed. That's where the confusion comes in.

Belt matches planes speed = plane flies.
Belt matches rotational speed of wheels = no solution.

CJ7 - God's gift to the masochist.
jeepsarecool is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #64
TJgreg
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by red96jeep
but when that foward movement is cancled out by the runway moving in the oppsite direction at the same speed the plane will be at full throttle and producing thrust, but it will not be moveing anywhere. i
Prove why this will happen, then I will believe that the plane won't take off.

Think of this: An aero-static type of sea vessel, say a 'hover craft.' The craft is in contact with the water, however it is the propellers that propel the craft over the water. Even if there is a ridiculously strong current, the vessel will still move.

As for the friction, I agree that it will take SLIGHTLY more distance for the plane to take off due to the fraction more friction due to the treadmill.
Unread 01-22-2008, 11:02 AM   #65
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

The planets must be aligning. We are all starting to agree.
Unread 01-22-2008, 11:28 AM   #66
ucbandit10
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LandRover:This has been explained so many times by so many people that the only way on planet earth that you could possibly not understand is if you are either too ignorant or stubborn to accept it. There is clearly no possible way that I could explain it in a way you will accept, and that's saying a lot. I teach special ed, for crying out loud.
I was actually explaining how it wouldnt takeoff. i know and accepted from the start that it wont it takeoff.
ucbandit10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 11:32 AM   #67
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucbandit10
I was actually explaining how it wouldnt takeoff. i know and accepted from the start that it wont it takeoff.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 11:39 AM   #68
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Could you explain it again more slowly, so we ignorant and stubborn people can understand?
Unread 01-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #69
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Tex
Could you explain it again more slowly, so we ignorant and stubborn people can understand?
Better yet, can he explain exactly which question he's answering?

It was never actually asked in this thread.
Unread 01-22-2008, 11:56 AM   #70
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

I don't know who's tag it is but it goes "it's too bad stupidity isn't painful". I hope you retards who think ground speed and torque to the ground will keep the plane from flying don't reproduce. One of you *******es even compared it to a drag racer??????? HOLY ****! How did you figure out how to use the internet.
Unread 01-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #71
1000000to1
2000 WJ 

I can't believe how stupid people are, The wheels don't drive the plane the prop does, that belt can go as fast as it wants, it's not a factor. The wheels can be going 100 mph in reverse it don't matter.
Canadian Jeep Club Member #18
Black Jeep Club Member #2002
1000000to1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 12:17 PM   #72
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

So when it flies, I can't wait to hear the mentally challenged on here give an explanation as to why the experiment was wrong. They are same kind of dip****s that say" I'll be damned the dictionary is wrong too".
Unread 01-22-2008, 12:32 PM   #73
Indy

Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceparn
I don't know who's tag it is but it goes "it's too bad stupidity isn't painful". I hope you retards who think ground speed and torque to the ground will keep the plane from flying don't reproduce. One of you *******es even compared it to a drag racer??????? HOLY ****! How did you figure out how to use the internet.
That's pretty unrealistic. Everyone knows stupid people reproduce at roughly a 4.1 or better ratio to smart people.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 12:36 PM   #74
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy
That's pretty unrealistic. Everyone knows stupid people reproduce at roughly a 4.1 or better ratio to smart people.

It's a good thing that 68.2% of all statistics are pulled from someone's rear. If it wasn't for Darwin thinning the herd, smart people would cease to exist.
Unread 01-22-2008, 12:38 PM   #75
red96jeep

Quote:
the friction between the wheels and conveyor belt are negligable. spinning wheels have nothing to do with lift/air speed. Who care how fast the belt is moving because the plane is still staying in one spot( if it were to match the belt speed). The plane on the belt is only going to produce lift over the section of the wing that is right behind the propeller, which is not enought air to produce enough lift for takeoff. Why would engineers make wings 20+ ft long if the lift over a 5 ft span is enough to fly the thing?

thank you, someone understands
Rocky Mountain Edition Club member #4
project vehicle
new 2002 jetta 1.8t DD
red96jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.