Jan 30 -- Mythbusters vs. Plane on a Treadmill (finally!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Jan 30 -- Mythbusters vs. Plane on a Treadmill (finally!)

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-22-2008, 12:37 AM   #1
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Jan 30 -- Mythbusters vs. Plane on a Treadmill (finally!)

Sneak peek:

http://dsc.discovery.com/video/?play...eId=1344511100

Getcha ready.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 12:43 AM   #2
AlTheKillerr

i cant wait!!!
AlTheKillerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showt...ster+treadmill

Welcome to 3 weeks ago.
Unread 01-22-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Hey I was looking for that thread! I want to make sure I see the plane sit still on the ground.
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 01:12 AM   #5
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grewe02
Hey I was looking for that thread! I want to make sure I see the plane sit still on the ground.
Your welcome!
Unread 01-22-2008, 02:24 AM   #6
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep-jeep-01
Your welcome!
My welcome what?
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 02:32 AM   #7
_Yeti_
2005 TJ Wrangler 

grammar ***** strikes again!

p.s. It won't fly. I'm locking my vote in.
Unread 01-22-2008, 02:57 AM   #8
Muddy Cherokee
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It's going to fly. Airplanes don't care what speed their wheels are going at take off. If the conveyor belt is going the same speed as the aircraft's take off speed but in the opposite direction, the wheels will just spin twice as fast, but the plane will still move forward and take off. Let's just make a JF poll before this gets out of hand again!
Muddy Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 05:20 AM   #9
RWB214

the forces that would make it stall in midair due to lack of airspeed would prevent it from ever having liftoff.
RWB214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:17 AM   #10
BS87
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWB214
the forces that would make it stall in midair due to lack of airspeed would prevent it from ever having liftoff.
If this were the case, then no plane would ever take off. It's a good idea to have a grasp on aerodynamics and lift before making statements like this.
BS87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:21 AM   #11
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't bothered to check but does anyone know what the aeronautical engineering and physics communities have to say about this?
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
sparkchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:40 AM   #12
Fett
Mechanically Declined

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Phhfffttt! What do they know? Mythbusters are the be-all, end-all of everything.

"When you honestly believe you can compensate for lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there's no end to what you can't do". www.despair.com
|_
|T|
Fett is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 06:41 AM   #13
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My vote is: plausible.
"Sandstorms inflict damage of about $540 million per year, and losses of crops and forests due to acid rain amount to about $730 million per year. More serious are the $6 billion costs of the "green wall" of trees being built to shield Beijing against sand and dust, and the $7 billion per year of losses created by pest species. We enter the zone of impressive numbers when we consider the onetime cost of the 1996 floods ($27 billion, but still cheaper than the 1998 floods), the annual direct losses due to desertification ($42 billion), and the annual losses due to water and air pollution ($54 billion). The combination of the latter two items alone costs China the equivalent of 14% of its GDP each year." - Jared Diamond, Collapse: How Societies Choose to Fail or Succeed
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:22 AM   #14
ancestralworm
there will be crying

2000 TJ Wrangler 

ok,

i have seen these posts and even waded through the tripe that people post and now i have to chime in.

has anyone ever heard of the bernoulli principle? and do the supporters of this realize that the thrust pushing the plane forward is not coming from the wheels on the tarmac?

this is a load of crap and i USE TO like mythbusters. they have just jumped the shark.

sincerely,
worm

Black Jeep Society victim#19

"The Jeep is America's only real sports car" - Enzo Ferrari

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Ben Franklin
ancestralworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2008, 07:27 AM   #15
sparkchaser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I think mythbusters is taking on this myth because the whole "will it take off" debate has consumed about 20% of the intertubes and we need to settle this once and for all so that 20% can returned to pr0n downloads.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.