Iraq - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Iraq

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-10-2007, 07:10 PM   #1
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Iraq

We have now been in Iraq for longer than we were involved in WWII. We defeated the greatest evils to ever exist during WWII, what have we accomplished in Iraq?

Unread 07-10-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Rule303
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Poor choice to try to occupy Iraq and nation build. You can't polish a turd.
Rule303 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:23 PM   #3
grovesj2

Dont worry, the new strategy was implemented 2 weeks ago and they should have Iraq wrapped up and taken care of in no more than 6 months.
grovesj2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #4
jeeptillidie
2001 TJ Wrangler 

"We" have not accomplished what we were promised was going to happen. What has been accomplished is many people have padded their pockets even more than they were previously. Several of our service men and women have been killed and we have created a debt we may never climb out of.
jeeptillidie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
ChewyXJ
nom nom nom

Think about all the good we've done over there. In my calculations it only costs us about 12 billion dollars and a couple dozen military personnel for every Iraqi school we've painted.

I can't believe there are still people who support Bush and his countless blunders.
'87 XJ 2" lift
'96 XJ stock

"Personally, I've learned so much from my mistakes, I'm thinking of making some more."

"Don't believe everything you think..."
ChewyXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #6
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch
We defeated the greatest evils to ever exist during WWII
To bad the peace and loving people of Islam are trying to make that look like child's play.
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:32 PM   #7
docbud
The Mac Lover

2013 JK Wrangler 

GWB Sr (and the full coalition) should have finished it in Persian Gulf War One.

So far as this mess today and GWB Jr.--I'm sure Sr. is quoting Jackie Gleason in "Smokey and the Bandit" and telling him "They're aint no way you came from my loins."

In his first term I trusted and supported him, but not any longer.

I distrust the terrorists even more, but GWB Jr. should have gone after them full-force, and kept out of Iraq.

doc
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
PJL
1998 TJ Wrangler 

I'd hate to say I told you so, but...

I don't really see how anyone at any point could've supported him, except as an irrational reaction based on the fear caused by and propagated since 9/11. It's quite a statement about the American people that this guy could get elected at all.
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #9
XJ2Timer

It was doomed from the start. The history and culture of that area guarantees that no Western nation could ever come in, try to set up a government and be successful. The President may have had the best intentions but it is too bad no one was able to stop him from trying.
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:37 PM   #10
HeavyMetal
Forum God

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grovesj2
Dont worry, the new strategy was implemented 2 weeks ago and they should have Iraq wrapped up and taken care of in no more than 6 months.
i can see this thread is right on normal track
Thou preparest a spotter before me in the presence of mine obstacles;

HeavyMetal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:48 PM   #11
XJ2Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by docbud
GWB Sr (and the full coalition) should have finished it in Persian Gulf War One.

I read somewhere the other countries in the region didn't want Saddam taken down because they feared it would cause instability in the region.
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:49 PM   #12
jeep-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Gertsch
We have now been in Iraq for longer than we were involved in WWII. We defeated the greatest evils to ever exist during WWII, what have we accomplished in Iraq?

You can't compare WWII to Iraq. We lost WAY more soldiers in WWII. However, there was a clear reason why we were involved in that war. It would have been a travesty if we weren't.

Also look at the Presidents of that time. FDR was the president at the beginning of the war. Arguably the greatest president this nation has ever seen. Truman wasn't so bad either, although I don't know If I would have agreed with the dropping of the bombs. But that's easy to see looking back. I wasn't around back then to have formed an opinion on something like that. Also, the only reason Truman came into office was because FDR died.

I wish we would get another FDR...or Teddy Roosevelt. I think a pres like them is MUCH needed with the way today's mentality is. I think things would straighten up pretty quick.
jeep-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 07:55 PM   #13
NorCalTim
1984 CJ7 

We were able to fight a war in WWII. There wasn't satellite links for embedded media, and people weren't tuned into the TNN (The Nazi Network) swallowing the propaganda because it played to their hatred of their own President. We could fight hard and dirty, and nobody would send pictures back home over the Internet resulting in Congress opening investigations and threatenting impeachment. If we want to make a difference, the gloves have to come off.

"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you." G.K. Chesterton
Unread 07-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #14
The Mean Fish
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTim
We were able to fight a war in WWII. There wasn't satellite links for embedded media, and people weren't tuned into the TNN (The Nazi Network) swallowing the propaganda because it played to their hatred of their own President. We could fight hard and dirty, and nobody would send pictures back home over the Internet resulting in Congress opening investigations and threatenting impeachment. If we want to make a difference, the gloves have to come off.

"War is not 'the best way of settling differences; it is the only way of preventing their being settled for you." G.K. Chesterton
Liberal anti-war people hate hearing stuff like this but it's the cold hard truth. Who knows if the US would have won WWII it today's time... I hate to think of how things would have been different.

Think about Pearl Harbor taking place today... would we react the same way? Would the Democrat congress want to wait 2 or 3 years before making a move?
The Mean Fish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-10-2007, 08:03 PM   #15
jeep-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalTim

jeep-n00b is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.