insurance Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > insurance Question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-21-2015, 09:31 AM   #1
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

insurance Question

So I was at fault in an accident. They might try to total my Jeep. Do I have the option of repairing it myself. Not collecting a check. Not talking about buying it back, i'm talking about not collecting anything at all. Keeping the jeep and paying for all repairs out of pocket.

Not much info in internet. Most seem to talk about claims that don't involve me at fault. I live in North Carolina. Anyone know?

Thegdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 11:30 AM   #2
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

seems like the opposite reason for having insurance.

you have it, use it. unless i'm missing something
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 11:37 AM   #3
arizonawj
2004 WJ 

As far as I have seen, insurance policies don't generally require you to file a claim for property damage to your own vehicle. I would think you could tell your insurer you are not filing a claim for the damage to your Jeep. Of course, you can't prevent the other party from filing a claim against your policy for their property damage and injuries (unless you convince them not to).
arizonawj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Are not wanting the Jeep totaled, or are you not wanting to file a claim ? If they total the Jeep you can buy it back at scrap value, and use the payout to repair it, but the title will likely be branded salvage. If you don't file a claim for your damages, you can do whatever you like with it.

Total US debt has increased by 70% under Obama, from $10.625 trillion on January 21, 2009 to $18.005 trillion January 1, 2015.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2015, 01:46 PM   #5
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

I have already filed a claim. But there is a good chance of them totaling it. If they want to total it, I basically want to cancel the claim on my vehicle, keep it, and repair it myself. Don't want it totaled.
Unread 06-22-2015, 10:35 AM   #6
Ironhead
2003 TJ Wrangler 

why? so you'll take a $10k hit so the title doesnt show it was totaled?

i dont see the end game as it seems like a major loss by not going through insurance
Ironhead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2015, 12:53 PM   #7
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhead
why? so you'll take a $10k hit so the title doesnt show it was totaled? i dont see the end game as it seems like a major loss by not going through insurance
it's like a 2.5k hit. Also time to me in this case is more valuable than money.
Unread 06-22-2015, 09:01 PM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Stupid question but full coverage?
Just tell the insurance company that you do not want your Jeep repaired.
I am sure they will be good with that.
I was in a accident last summer. Towing my Jeep with my truck. Long story but I will keep it short, I rear ended another vehicle. My fault as it is always when you hit someone in the rear. KEEP IT CLEAN GUYS!
My truck has over 200,000 miles and has hail damage, not to mention that it has spent its whole life out of a garage. Lots of rust. (Chevy)
I have full coverage, only because I have been too lazy to change it. The truck is still driveable, I had to pull the fender out and replace a headlight.
When I called to make a claim I told them I did not want to fix the truck. They had no problems with it. Heck it is less money they had to pay out. Matter of fact I did not even have to pay the deducible.
Unread 06-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #9
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS
Stupid question but full coverage? Just tell the insurance company that you do not want your Jeep repaired. I am sure they will be good with that.
I don't understand this. By saying that, does that mean instant salvage? Or I can't insure it?
Unread 06-22-2015, 09:20 PM   #10
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEJEEPERS View Post
Stupid question but full coverage?
Just tell the insurance company that you do not want your Jeep repaired.
I am sure they will be good with that.
I was in a accident last summer. Towing my Jeep with my truck. Long story but I will keep it short, I rear ended another vehicle. My fault as it is always when you hit someone in the rear. KEEP IT CLEAN GUYS!
My truck has over 200,000 miles and has hail damage, not to mention that it has spent its whole life out of a garage. Lots of rust. (Chevy)
I have full coverage, only because I have been too lazy to change it. The truck is still driveable, I had to pull the fender out and replace a headlight.
When I called to make a claim I told them I did not want to fix the truck. They had no problems with it. Heck it is less money they had to pay out. Matter of fact I did not even have to pay the deducible.
So You kept your insurance on the truck? I want the jeep to be my DD.
Unread 06-22-2015, 09:26 PM   #11
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Sure you can.
If they never see it how will they know how much damage was done to it?
Just keep your coverage the same.
I would hope you would know whether it is safe to drive on the road or not.
Unread 06-22-2015, 09:27 PM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thegdog View Post
So You kept your insurance on the truck? I want the jeep to be my DD.
yep
Unread 06-22-2015, 09:31 PM   #13
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

My truck was also paid off.
If you still owe money on your Jeep it may be a different story.
Unread 06-23-2015, 11:05 AM   #14
WahooCreek
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Your answer to your original question will depend on how you answer TSEJEEPERS' question about whether you owe anything on it.

If you have $ borrowed against it, your loan documents likely govern how you must handle it.

If you do not owe anything, you can probably tell the insurance carrier you do not wish to pursue the claim. HOwever, they have notice of the wreck, so don't think you are going to save your rate from going up.

If you do not owe anything and wish to pursue the claim but keep your jeep even if they declare it a total loss, you can probably keep your jeep by telling them you want to keep the salvage. What this means is that if your jeep was worth $5,000 before the wreck and the value of the wrecked jeep after the wreck (a/k/a salvage) is $2,000, then you keep the vehicle and get a check for $3,000. Depending on your state's laws, the title may also have to be marked as a "salvage" title.

Some of this is very state specific, so you'd do well to consult a local lawyer or your insurance agent.
WahooCreek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-23-2015, 12:47 PM   #15
Thegdog
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WahooCreek
Your answer to your original question will depend on how you answer TSEJEEPERS' question about whether you owe anything on it. If you have $ borrowed against it, your loan documents likely govern how you must handle it. If you do not owe anything, you can probably tell the insurance carrier you do not wish to pursue the claim. HOwever, they have notice of the wreck, so don't think you are going to save your rate from going up. If you do not owe anything and wish to pursue the claim but keep your jeep even if they declare it a total loss, you can probably keep your jeep by telling them you want to keep the salvage. What this means is that if your jeep was worth $5,000 before the wreck and the value of the wrecked jeep after the wreck (a/k/a salvage) is $2,000, then you keep the vehicle and get a check for $3,000. Depending on your state's laws, the title may also have to be marked as a "salvage" title. Some of this is very state specific, so you'd do well to consult a local lawyer or your insurance agent.
I owe nothing on it. Bought it cash. I called the company and called off the claim. My shop can repair the needed things, ignoring the aesthetic for less than $1500. So I'm in the good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.