Insurance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Insurance

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 11-17-2013, 09:07 PM   #1
xjlife101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Insurance

I'm 17, and have insurance through progressive. I pay about $110 a month. And my insurance covers anyone driving my car. So can I transfer my insurance to my dads name, continue paying the bill, and enjoy cheaper insurance?

Is that legal?

Unread 11-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
nwiTJdave

So you just want to cancel your policy and get on his is what you are asking? Yes, you can do that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Probably have to register the car in his name as well. It could also show up as an interruption in your coverage which will hurt future rates.

If you have to let the insurance company know who the primary driver is, this can also affect coverage in the event of an accident if the insurance company thinks your father is the primary driver but in reality its you.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2013, 10:10 PM   #4
91YJ4X4
1995 YJ Wrangler 

It would also make your dad your policy holder, in the event of a lawsuit he would be liable, and I would assume he has more assets, something to consider.

But then again you are 17, I believe he is liable for you anyway. Dunno

Bottom line, call his company.
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #5
xjlife101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks everyone. I was actually asking more about adding him to my policy as the primary, because on his insurance it costs over $200 to insure my xj
Unread 11-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #6
Dngrs1
1979 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjlife101 View Post
I'm 17, and have insurance through progressive. I pay about $110 a month. And my insurance covers anyone driving my car. So can I transfer my insurance to my dads name, continue paying the bill, and enjoy cheaper insurance?
At least you don't have to pay for health insurance.
Unread 11-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #7
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjlife101 View Post
Thanks everyone. I was actually asking more about adding him to my policy as the primary, because on his insurance it costs over $200 to insure my xj
If you add him as the primary driver and he isn't, insurance can refuse to cover you in an accident and retroactively cancel your coverage. Insurance cancelation would drive your rates sky high, if you can get coverage after you have to disclose the reason for the termination.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Based on the fact that I'm 20 and have to deal with this here's my suggestion.

If you want cheaper insurance cancel your policy and title the vehicle in your dad's name, then insure the vehicle under his policy and designate you as the primary driver. Pretty sure it's the same in every state but the policy holder and title holder have to be the same person. When I turned 16 I talked to my parents agent and she said if I wanted the title in my name I'd have to get my own policy, so I elected to keep it titled under my dad's name. I just pay my parents my portion of insurance and every year when registration is up I pay it. I can pay it directly, DMV doesn't care who's name is on the check.

For the Jeep I pay $60 a month. This is with 250/500/250 liability, 100/300 uninsured motorist, and comprehensive with some really high deductible (honesty right now I can't even remember why I have comprehensive on the Jeep, I think it has to do with glass replacement).

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:03 PM   #9
bobjp

Yes, it's legal, but the title must be in his name, and you must be the primary driver.

In my state, when you transfer title from parent to child, you don't pay any taxes. I don't know if it works in the other direction.

I recommend going to your states DMV website. It should all be there.
Unread 11-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Numbers of cars v/s number of drivers in household. They'll figure it out. Insurance companies are funny that way.
Unread 11-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #11
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Based on the fact that I'm 20 and have to deal with this here's my suggestion.

If you want cheaper insurance cancel your policy and title the vehicle in your dad's name, then insure the vehicle under his policy and designate you as the primary driver. Pretty sure it's the same in every state but the policy holder and title holder have to be the same person. When I turned 16 I talked to my parents agent and she said if I wanted the title in my name I'd have to get my own policy, so I elected to keep it titled under my dad's name. I just pay my parents my portion of insurance and every year when registration is up I pay it. I can pay it directly, DMV doesn't care who's name is on the check.

For the Jeep I pay $60 a month. This is with 250/500/250 liability, 100/300 uninsured motorist, and comprehensive with some really high deductible (honesty right now I can't even remember why I have comprehensive on the Jeep, I think it has to do with glass replacement).
Nope
In every state a leased vehicle has the lease company as the title holder but the leasee has to have the policy.
In my case both kids have their own insurance but I still hold the title to their cars. I had them get their own policies to help them later (and protect myself) I pay the insurance while they are in school and it is more than if it was under my account but that way they show a driving and coverage history. USAA doesn't charge us that much more anyway, like an extra 200 per 6 month policy period. Mostly because they don't get the multi policy discounts I do.
vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:05 AM   #12
Hurley91

$200 a month? I wish I payed that when I was 17. I was paying $345 when I was that age on a 00' Dodge Ram 2wd. No tickets or accidents.

Sent from my iPhone down by the Bay.
Unread 11-19-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
bobjp

Yikes, at that rate, I don't think I would have owned a car in high school. Why couldn't you be on your parents' insurance policy?

I don't understand why rates are different between a <25 year old's own policy and a minor on their parents' policy. I would think the former is more likely to be a responsible driver.
Unread 11-19-2013, 01:53 PM   #14
xjlife101
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobjp
Yikes, at that rate, I don't think I would have owned a car in high school. Why couldn't you be on your parents' insurance policy? I don't understand why rates are different between a <25 year old's own policy and a minor on their parents' policy. I would think the former is more likely to be a responsible driver.
That's why I have progressive. It's much cheaper than being on my dads policy but it's still killing me cause it's over a weeks pay workin for good ol McDonald's
Unread 11-19-2013, 03:46 PM   #15
bobjp

I don't understand why it's cheaper for you to have your own policy than be on your dad's. That's backwards. How would adding him to your policy as primary driver reduce your rates?

Anyhow, it's not legal to have anyone but the actual primary driver listed as the primary driver.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.