insurance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > insurance

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 12-27-2004, 09:22 PM   #1
ugrider21

insurance

Hey, i just have a question for people who have a DD, but drive their jeeps to the trails, NOT trailer them. My friend has a 92 Nissan stanza with 180,000 miles hes willing to give to me for free. needs a battery and some exhaust work, other than that it runs great. i'm considering using the stanza as a DD and using the jeep only to go to trails, i'd trailer it but i dont have a rig to pull it with. my only problem is insurance, because i'm 17 and have been in two very minor accidents, no injuries, no major damage, but both were my fault. i'll be paying insurance for one or the other, prolly which ever is cheapest. how do you guys have your insurance setup? is this even going to be worth getting the 2nd car? TIA for any advice.

[B]'97 Sport green[/B], 4.0 5spd, [B]Bestop[/B] supertop, [B]RE[/B] 3.5", 33x10.5 [B]BFG[/B] a/ts on 15x8 [B]Cragar[/B] 397's, [B]Warn[/B] rockcrawler front bumper, [B]KC[/B] 100W on windshield, [B]Hella[/B] 500 fogs on bumper, [B]K&N[/B] intake, [B]Flowmaster[/B] 40, [B]Herc'd[/B] interior, [B]B&M[/B] shortthrow, [B]PORC[/B] SYE, [B]Collis[/B] custom CV shaft, [B]Nth Degree [/B] rear UCA's, [B]Gopher-it [/B] bell-up, [B]Novak[/B] t-case shifter, [B]MORE[/B] 1" MML/BL.
ugrider21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2004, 09:33 PM   #2
xxxflhrci

You can insure you Jeep with full coverage as a pleasure vehicle and the Nissan as your daily driver with liability only. You will likely pay about the same as insuring just the Jeep. You'll get a multicar discount. The insurance company figures they are at a less of a risk by you not having a more expensive vehicle on the road all the time.
xxxflhrci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2004, 09:44 PM   #3
drenmaster j

if the jeep is paid off just get liability. becuse if your just gonna have it on a trail then its not that big of a deal. cuz you wont have to be as worried about it getting broken into or other cars hitting you. i am in the same boat as you. insurance is crazy for us. geico is the lowest for me, but i pay full coverage cuz i am paying on the jeep still.

if its not paid off i cant imagine how much insurance would be for you with 2 wrecks.
Unread 12-27-2004, 10:30 PM   #4
ugrider21

yeah i'm still payin off the jeep. thats what sucks, both accidents were crappy days where i couldnt do anything but bump into the guy cuz i slid...neither were even that bad, but still being 17 and 2 accidents kinda leaves me with little options
[B]'97 Sport green[/B], 4.0 5spd, [B]Bestop[/B] supertop, [B]RE[/B] 3.5", 33x10.5 [B]BFG[/B] a/ts on 15x8 [B]Cragar[/B] 397's, [B]Warn[/B] rockcrawler front bumper, [B]KC[/B] 100W on windshield, [B]Hella[/B] 500 fogs on bumper, [B]K&N[/B] intake, [B]Flowmaster[/B] 40, [B]Herc'd[/B] interior, [B]B&M[/B] shortthrow, [B]PORC[/B] SYE, [B]Collis[/B] custom CV shaft, [B]Nth Degree [/B] rear UCA's, [B]Gopher-it [/B] bell-up, [B]Novak[/B] t-case shifter, [B]MORE[/B] 1" MML/BL.
Unread 12-27-2004, 10:53 PM   #5
krombig

Insure the Jeep as a second vehicle. With the multicar discount, it shouldn't be too much more. I took my CJ off the insurance, but it was costing me only like $48 more a year to insure it.
krombig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 12:40 AM   #6
drenmaster j

if your still paying on the jeep i am sure you have to keep full insurance on it. all you can do is list it as a secondary vehicle even if your only gonna drive it to the trail, because who ever your paying the money to owns the jeep, and they want it protected. that be cool if there was a "drive to the trail only" insurance option

so yea list it as a second car if you can. but i dont know if your payments for insurance will be any cheaper, cuz your gonna add an extra car to your plan. you just gotta call around. geico has been the cheapest for me.
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:28 AM   #7
GoTopless

how much are you planning on wheeling your Jeep and what kind of things do you want to do with your Jeep (lift, tires, ect..)? Mine is my DD and my trail rig, and i am still paying on mine too and the insurance isnt cheap. I couldnt imagine getting another car..Man, you are 17, have payments, full coverage insurance AND want another car? What do you do for a living?

[B][SIZE=4][URL=http://groups.myspace.com/jeepforumcom][COLOR=white]Jeepforum on MYSPACE[/COLOR] [/URL] [/SIZE] [/B]
GoTopless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2004, 12:59 PM   #8
ugrider21

i want to start wheeling more often, like once a month or so, i already have a lift and 33s on it, i dont pay the insurance for the jeep now but i'd have to pay for either the jeep or the stanza if i got it. oh, and i wash dishes for catholics at 7.6405 an hr, but i'm lookin for a job as a ski/board mechanic also
Unread 12-28-2004, 01:00 PM   #9
GoTopless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugrider21
i want to start wheeling more often, like once a month or so, i already have a lift and 33s on it, i dont pay the insurance for the jeep now but i'd have to pay for either the jeep or the stanza if i got it. oh, and i wash dishes for catholics at 7.6405 an hr, but i'm lookin for a job as a ski/board mechanic also
and your parents arent helping you pay for the Jeep at all?

[B][SIZE=4][URL=http://groups.myspace.com/jeepforumcom][COLOR=white]Jeepforum on MYSPACE[/COLOR] [/URL] [/SIZE] [/B]
Unread 12-28-2004, 09:18 PM   #10
ugrider21

their general rule of thumb is they pay half for the first car (leaving me with $135/month payments) and they will pay insurance for one car per kid (2 other bros). thats how their parents did it with them, but i still have a while on the payments.
Unread 12-29-2004, 06:17 AM   #11
GoTopless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugrider21
their general rule of thumb is they pay half for the first car (leaving me with $135/month payments) and they will pay insurance for one car per kid (2 other bros). thats how their parents did it with them, but i still have a while on the payments.
oh ok, that explains it...you are lucky that your parents pay for that stuff

Unread 12-29-2004, 03:34 PM   #12
ugrider21

yeah, i consider myself very lucky, from what my mom says they can't afford it but my dad wont have it any other way, he was brought up in a very well-off family, but since his co. went under they've been struggling a bit. he was supposed to call insurance yesterday, but i dont even know if he did yet.
Unread 12-29-2004, 04:35 PM   #13
My_Little_Pony

Here's my advice to you (not knowing your state law requirements on insurance):

If you parents are willing to pay insurance on one of the vehicles and you only have to pay insurance on one yourself. Insure the Stanza, its going to be the cheapest to insure. If the Stanza is paid in full (no loan on it) then do the state minimum on insurance.

In my case I have my Dodge fully covered and it is my "DD" (which I tend to drive the Jeep WAY more, but oh well). I have the Jeep insured on Liability ONLY, but that is Washington state law. By not having a loan on my Jeep, I am able to have Liability only, if I had a loan on it then I would have to have full coverage.

I did see someone above mention using the vehicle as a "pleasure" vehicle. Only do that if you owe money on the vehicle. So in your case, tell the insurance company that you would like to have the Jeep as a "pleasure" vehicle and the stanza as a DD. You should be able to save quite a bit that way. Good luck!!
- 31x11.50 Super Swamper LTB's
- 15" Rock Crawler 51 series rims (black)
- Homemade front Brush guard
Waiting to be installed:
- 95 Dodge Dakota rear leaf springs (1 1/2" lift)
- ACOS upfront adjusted to equal 4 1/2 inches
- RE Stainless steel brakelines
- 4 degree shims
- 1" Rockratz Transfer Case Drop
My_Little_Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2004, 05:03 PM   #14
mdoug445
2002 WJ 

I would get the Nissan if its free. My friend has a 2001 Mustang GT and a 97 Ranger. His mom bought him the ranger and when he graduated high school he bought the Mustang. He lists the ranger as his DD, and he has the mustang as the pleasure vehicle. he never drives the ranger, always the mustang. he has full coverage on both and its the only way he could afford the mustang insurance. i think he said it only went up a little from what it was when he only had the ranger.
Unread 12-30-2004, 03:58 PM   #15
ugrider21

well im gettin the nissan...my dad talked the insurance into 500/yr which comes out to like...40.70 a month and i can afford that. thanks to everyone for their advice!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.