Input on College 4x4 Clubs - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Input on College 4x4 Clubs

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 01-28-2013, 04:00 PM   #1
UTChavok
1998 ZJ 

Input on College 4x4 Clubs

Looking for some advice, input, ideas etc from those of you who were involved in 4x4 clubs while you were in school. I'm currently President of the Clemson Offroad Club, were a student organization at Clemson University that focuses on 4x4s, fabrication, blah blah etc. We go all over the Southeast on monthly wheeling trips if we have more than a couple rigs that arn't broke. We receive no funding from the University and local businesses and shops have been unwilling to work with us for discounts or anything like that. The club has been around since 2004, and has had a fair share of talented fabricators. It seems lately though that it has been real hard to find individuals who want to learn how to fabricate and actually get into wrenching. We attract over 40+ people to our first meetings but half of them are frat bros in their 1500s with keys cranked and 35s and they never come back. We've opened up to non students around the area or students from other schools close by that are interested. Curious if anyone has input on how they recruited, what kind of funding, grants, fund raising ideas etc that you sought, how you managed garage space/tools or any other helpful information. I made a Youtube channel for the club but until we get on Madram status that isn't bringing in any cash :flipoff2:

ClemsonOffroadClub - YouTube

Appreciate any useful input.

UTChavok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2013, 08:15 PM   #2
ZeroGravity
1991 YJ Wrangler 

My four wheel club is member of a regional off road association that helps manage/organizes when each club gets to use properties in the area. Being a member of a similar association, or even just becoming affiliated with another established 4wd club will give you credibility and open you up to more wheeling spots.

The club has yearly dues and an annual pig roast to raise funds. I'm not sure about the technical details but becoming a non profit organization may also help with credibility and make the club appear more official.

Also, advocate "tread lightly".
The U.S. Army vaguely envisioned something bigger than a motorcycle, smaller than a truck, and undaunted by the most difficult terrain.
ZeroGravity is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.