I'm not liking my Jeep thing right about now - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > I'm not liking my Jeep thing right about now

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-20-2009, 09:12 PM   #1
Rollin
2005 WK 

I'm not liking my Jeep thing right about now

Take the Jeep wheeling and broke a brake line drivers rear. Replaced said brake line but couldnt get bleeder nipple out to bleed my brakes; too rusted. Okay, so I undo the line a little and get most of the air out. Brakes still need bleeding but they were usable. I then drove it home to go to the Nascar race this morning. All is well. When I got back, I figured I would try to bleed it before I drive back to school.

Whudda you know? The bleeder nipple snaps off. And come to find out after removing the drum, the brake cylinder is leaking. Great, you can kill two birds with one stone you might say; just replace the brake cylinder and youll have a new nipple and everything. Nope. Not on a 13 year old Jeep Cherokee with 167k miles on it. The bolts holding the brake cylinder on are rusted and rounded off as soon as I turned the socket.

As you may or may not know, a simple one corner brake bleed has just turned into a day long project. Now I must pull the diff cover, center pin, c clip and axle shaft and hope that the backing plate bolts come out.

I say **** it until further notice. I left the Jeep on jack stands with its brakes all torn to hell. I borrowed my grandfathers truck and drove an hour to school in hopes of one day being able to get a good job and purchase a new Jeep that doesnt have these issues.

Imported from Detroit
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #2
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Welcome to a day in the life of a Jeep owner, of course I'm sure you already knew that.

I like the comment about day long projects though, seems to be the popular trend with me. I get started on what is supposed to be a minor project and it takes me the better part of the weekend to do..and that is even after several trips to the hardware store, several trips to get more beer to cope with the increased stress levels, etc. etc.

Apparently I cant quit while I'm ahead because each weekend I find myself back out there doing it all over again. It's a Jeep thing, I don't even understand it sometimes.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
Rollin
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post
Welcome to a day in the life of a Jeep owner, of course I'm sure you already knew that.

I like the comment about day long projects though, seems to be the popular trend with me. I get started on what is supposed to be a minor project and it takes me the better part of the weekend to do..and that is even after several trips to the hardware store, several trips to get more beer to cope with the increased stress levels, etc. etc.

Apparently I cant quit while I'm ahead because each weekend I find myself back out there doing it all over again. It's a Jeep thing, I don't even understand it sometimes.
Haha my friends are like that thing sure costs you a lot of money. Its worth it when it all is working. I guess there is a bright side, I could upgrade to discs seeing as I have it all apart...

Imported from Detroit
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:31 PM   #4
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
Haha my friends are like that thing sure costs you a lot of money. Its worth it when it all is working. I guess there is a bright side, I could upgrade to discs seeing as I have it all apart...
Bingo. When something breaks, never waste money simply repairing it, use it as an opportunity to upgrade.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
Rollin
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Bingo. When something breaks, never waste money simply repairing it, use it as an opportunity to upgrade.
Well, while I have it open, I could through a locker in it and regear it and put chromalloy shafts in it

Imported from Detroit
Unread 09-20-2009, 10:01 PM   #6
Grape Ape
Web Wanker

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, while I have it open, I could through a locker in it and regear it and put chromalloy shafts in it
See now that is the right attitude, heck why are you wasting time with the upgrading the old axle. Just put in a new stronger axle. Drop a dana 60 in there and then go break the front so you have a reason to replace it.

EVERYBODY is pro-gun, some just don't know it. When an anti-gun person is in trouble, the first thing they do is call 911 and demand that they send somebody with a gun!

We've idiot proofed the world... now its full of idiots. - Spiritof76

You will truly be the same today as you will be five years from now, except for two things, the people you meet and the books you read. Charles E. Jones

I think I'll add some memorable quotes. blah blah blah..... FPKites

Trying to understand some people, is like trying to pick up a turd by the clean side.
Grape Ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 03:18 AM   #7
corndogduff

While the jeeps up in the air, better get an atlas II under there as well....
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 05:41 AM   #8
helicase50
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I feel your pain, mine is being emo again and leaking.

[COLOR="Purple"]Yes, I'm a girl, I drive a TJ and like to get it dirty. Yes, I like boys. Get over it. [/COLOR]
[COLOR="Purple"]Live Fun, Ride Fast, Die Pretty ~ Chic Riders M[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=vindicated;11072220]
Did I ever mention I loved you? :kiss:
[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=Sarahdactyl;11072442]Hey! That's my woman you're hitting on there! <:mad:>
[/QUOTE]
Be Jealous
helicase50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:01 AM   #9
1998zj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Just grind the heads off of the bolts, 5 minutes and problem solved.
Unread 09-21-2009, 07:11 AM   #10
mtnracer190
1995 YJ Wrangler 

You should consider swapping in a Ford 8.8. If you find the right one you can have a limited slip diff, 4:10 gears, disk brakes, and a stronger axle. Just make sure you pull one out of a newer explorer if you want the disk brakes.
mtnracer190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #11
Rollin
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
Now that is a good idea. If only I had an angle grinder

edit: just looked, I dont think I want to spend that much money on something Ill use once. Is it the proper tool to cut out my rockers to replace them?

Imported from Detroit
Unread 09-21-2009, 12:53 PM   #12
DiabloYJ
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Now that is a good idea. If only I had an angle grinder

edit: just looked, I dont think I want to spend that much money on something Ill use once. Is it the proper tool to cut out my rockers to replace them?
You'd be amazed at the amount of things you will end up using an angle grinder for, I'd pick one up if you get the chance. Yes you can use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut out sheetmetal.

GD Thread HIJACKERS Member #1

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

-Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Sport View Post
Sometimes I wish I had leaf springs.
DiabloYJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #13
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Whudda you know? The bleeder nipple snaps off. And come to find out after removing the drum, the brake cylinder is leaking. Great, you can kill two birds with one stone you might say; just replace the brake cylinder and youll have a new nipple and everything. Nope. Not on a 13 year old Jeep Cherokee with 167k miles on it. The bolts holding the brake cylinder on are rusted and rounded off as soon as I turned the socket.
I had that same problem - except with a set of brakes that had never received a new cylinder since 1977. My fix - I took a cold-chisle and hammer, wacked the heads off the bolt, cut the hard lines and just replaced everything in one nice easy shot ..
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 03:05 PM   #14
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998zj View Post
Or just center punch them & drill them off......

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 09:55 PM   #15
Rollin
2005 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloYJ View Post
You'd be amazed at the amount of things you will end up using an angle grinder for, I'd pick one up if you get the chance. Yes you can use an angle grinder with a cut off wheel to cut out sheetmetal.
Im pretty sure that you are the smartest man alive. I went and bought a 7.5 amp Porter Cable 4.5 inch angle grinder with a couple different kinds of discs. That thing made short work of those stupid bolts. Best $50 I have ever spent.

I decided to do both sides while I had the diff cover pulled. The other brake line was shot also. All rusted to hell. I replaced everything except the drums. So basically I have a completely rebuilt rear brake system

I bled it pass side first then drivers side and theres no air left but its still not quite the same as it was before. Brakes are properly adjusted. but this is for tech not here lol

Imported from Detroit

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.