I'm addicted to soda. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > I'm addicted to soda.

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 10-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #1
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I'm addicted to soda.

I'll probably die at 56 from a massive case of diabetes. I've been drinking a can of diet soda a day for years, sometimes 2 cans a day. I've tried to quit cold turkey and can last about 4 days, but the headaches and the cravings are insane and I cave. I am craving one right now but I've already had a can of regular Pepsi in the afternoon.

HELP.

Unread 10-27-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
JbmLaredo

2 cans a day ain't nuthin man lol my great uncle was 101 years old when he died last summer and he swore that coca colas and days work tobacco is wat kept him goin. He died working on his bush hog. I'm jus sayin
JbmLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I don't know, man, everything I read says that it's incredibly bad for you, even a can a day.
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
DMB
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It can't be any more dangerous than wheelin' a jeep?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marconis View Post
I'll probably die at 56 from a massive case of diabetes. I've been drinking a can of diet soda a day for years, sometimes 2 cans a day. I've tried to quit cold turkey and can last about 4 days, but the headaches and the cravings are insane and I cave. I am craving one right now but I've already had a can of regular Pepsi in the afternoon.

HELP.
Diet soda? You mean, the stuff with aspartame? Breaks down into formaldehyde in the body? You get headaches when you don't drink that stuff?

If someone hands me a diet soda, I usually feel like someone's trying to cave my head in with a punch press...

Interesting tangent - I have a note from my neurologist that I can present to other doctors complaining about my coffee/soda intake, saying that I can have as much caffeine as I can tolerate - because it's one of the very few things the headache I have had for the last seven years will respond to!

I have a note from another doctor, saying that I should avoid diet drinks - not so much for the aspartame, but because my body actually requires the sugar (I'm hyperinsuinemic...)

Yeah, I'm weird.
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #6
JbmLaredo

There's alot that's bad for the body man I agree but I highly doubt that a can drink or 2 a day will shorten your lifespan. But mtn dew will eat up your enamel purty quick lol
JbmLaredo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Marconis
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, the headaches are from caffeine withdrawal. I have Arnold Chiari Malformation (look it up, causes bad headaches), and between soda and Excedrin, my headaches are nearly nonexistent. I like the taste of diet sodas better (only Coke and Pepsi, anything like Sprite or orange has to be regular) even though I am scared ****less of the aspartame.
Unread 10-27-2013, 10:49 PM   #8
2010Rubicon
2010 JK Wrangler 

My father drank soda during his entire lifetime. Usually two cans or bottles per day, but once in a great while he drank at least three cans/bottles per day. One of my relatives told me that when my father was young he sometimes drank as much as a six pack per day.

Eventually, the soda consumption caught up with him in old age. He had a very mild case of diabetes. The soda destroyed his kidneys. He had dialysis appointments three times per week near the end of his life. He died in an awful way while in the hospital.

A former friend began drinking soda during early teenage years after a doctor told him that drinking milk was the cause of his shoulder pain. By his late 40's my friend had consumed so much soda that it destroyed all of his teeth. Over the course of a few years he endured numerous dental surgeries for implants. Pain and prescription meds became a way of life for a while. The last time I talked with him was about a year ago. He was nearly done with the implant work. Insurance covered most of the cost, but the deductibles still cost a few thousand dollars.
2010Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:00 PM   #9
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010Rubicon View Post
My father drank soda during his entire lifetime. Usually two cans or bottles per day, but once in a great while he drank at least three cans/bottles per day. One of my relatives told me that when my father was young he sometimes drank as much as a six pack per day.
My caffeine intake (all forms) used to be characterised as something like LD50 to LD75 - as far as the stimulant effect, I seem to be immune (I've been drinking coffee since I was six, and it had no effect on me then - apart from being something warm to drink on a cold day.)

Quote:
Eventually, the soda consumption caught up with him in old age. He had a very mild case of diabetes. The soda destroyed his kidneys. He had dialysis appointments three times per week near the end of his life. He died in an awful way while in the hospital.
See comments elsewhere on "normal variation." However, due to the meds I have to take for other conditions (mainly post-traumatic,) my liver and kidney functions get checked twice a year. I'm waiting for them to come down to where they can be measured in the first place.

Quote:
A former friend began drinking soda during early teenage years after a doctor told him that drinking milk was the cause of his shoulder pain. By his late 40's my friend had consumed so much soda that it destroyed all of his teeth. Over the course of a few years he endured numerous dental surgeries for implants. Pain and prescription meds became a way of life for a while. The last time I talked with him was about a year ago. He was nearly done with the implant work. Insurance covered most of the cost, but the deductibles still cost a few thousand dollars.
Again, normal variation. I'm 41 years old, have thirty-two perfectly healthy teeth (including third molars,) and no fillings. This is including a lot of time spent in the field (no water to brush teeth - you'd be amazed how much Milk-Bones can help with that!) and a spicy enough diet that people are amazed I haven't dissolved them anyhow.

A couple of years ago, I went in for a cleaning. First time I'd seen a dentist in 17 years.

He told me "your enamel is too thick." That's a problem?

My biggest dental problem? "Firm" toothbrushes are getting damned near impossible to find - my worn toothbrushes have firmer bristles than the "mediums" out now! And, who the Hell thought "Extra Soft" would get anything clean?!?

I may have to pillage through Nylon parts brushes to find something useful now. Probably be cheaper anyway...
Unread 10-27-2013, 11:34 PM   #10
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've cut back but I used to kill 3 cans of Dr pepper a day
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:05 AM   #11
prjohnson
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I'm glad I don't care for sodas, they've never done it for me. About all I drink is water, grape juice, straight bourbon, or beer. I don't think two sodas a day is overdoing it though. If you have family history of diabetes, then you could have problems later on in life.
prjohnson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:50 AM   #12
dayriesw
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

My parents drink and have drunk soda (we call it coke in the south) for years. 3+ cans a day. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes a couple years back and he backed off to 1-2 a day and switched to diet. They both are down to 1 a day now but love there cokes. When I learned of my dad's problem, I quit cold turkey. I noticed (this may or may not have to do with the coke) that I lost about 5 pounds a month later. I now drink maybe 3-4 a week and can tell it if I had 2 in a day because I feel gittery.
'87 MJ Comanche Chief - found in a field, now yard art
dayriesw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:56 AM   #13
NHYJ4213
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Man... I wish I was on the 1-3 a day plan.. I drink way more than that aha and mt dew.. I don't get cravings without I just don't want to drink anything else.. I choose to live haply than live by rules making me . . My .02
NHYJ4213 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2013, 08:59 AM   #14
V65Ozzie
1998 ZJ 

Dude, I do about 3 12 packs or Diet MT dew a week, can't help ya, I'm seriously addicted to the stuff. Back in the day it was Jolt Cola.
Unread 10-28-2013, 09:05 AM   #15
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjohnson View Post
I'm glad I don't care for sodas, they've never done it for me. About all I drink is water, grape juice, straight bourbon, or beer. I don't think two sodas a day is overdoing it though. If you have family history of diabetes, then you could have problems later on in life.
My dad's father had diabetes but he didn't. Not sure if that's going to get passed on to me or not. I used to drink way more than 3 cans a day but that was when I was without a job and didn't have much to do all day

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.