JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   I'm addicted to soda. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/im-addicted-soda-1729250/)

Marconis 10-27-2013 06:55 PM

I'm addicted to soda.
 
I'll probably die at 56 from a massive case of diabetes. I've been drinking a can of diet soda a day for years, sometimes 2 cans a day. I've tried to quit cold turkey and can last about 4 days, but the headaches and the cravings are insane and I cave. I am craving one right now but I've already had a can of regular Pepsi in the afternoon.

HELP.

JbmLaredo 10-27-2013 06:58 PM

2 cans a day ain't nuthin man lol my great uncle was 101 years old when he died last summer and he swore that coca colas and days work tobacco is wat kept him goin. He died working on his bush hog. I'm jus sayin

Marconis 10-27-2013 07:02 PM

I don't know, man, everything I read says that it's incredibly bad for you, even a can a day.

DMB 10-27-2013 07:04 PM

It can't be any more dangerous than wheelin' a jeep?

5-90 10-27-2013 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marconis (Post 17204970)
I'll probably die at 56 from a massive case of diabetes. I've been drinking a can of diet soda a day for years, sometimes 2 cans a day. I've tried to quit cold turkey and can last about 4 days, but the headaches and the cravings are insane and I cave. I am craving one right now but I've already had a can of regular Pepsi in the afternoon.

HELP.

Diet soda? You mean, the stuff with aspartame? Breaks down into formaldehyde in the body? You get headaches when you don't drink that stuff?

If someone hands me a diet soda, I usually feel like someone's trying to cave my head in with a punch press...

Interesting tangent - I have a note from my neurologist that I can present to other doctors complaining about my coffee/soda intake, saying that I can have as much caffeine as I can tolerate - because it's one of the very few things the headache I have had for the last seven years will respond to!

I have a note from another doctor, saying that I should avoid diet drinks - not so much for the aspartame, but because my body actually requires the sugar (I'm hyperinsuinemic...)

Yeah, I'm weird.

JbmLaredo 10-27-2013 07:14 PM

There's alot that's bad for the body man I agree but I highly doubt that a can drink or 2 a day will shorten your lifespan. But mtn dew will eat up your enamel purty quick lol

Marconis 10-27-2013 07:15 PM

Yeah, the headaches are from caffeine withdrawal. I have Arnold Chiari Malformation (look it up, causes bad headaches), and between soda and Excedrin, my headaches are nearly nonexistent. I like the taste of diet sodas better (only Coke and Pepsi, anything like Sprite or orange has to be regular) even though I am scared ****less of the aspartame.

2010Rubicon 10-27-2013 09:49 PM

My father drank soda during his entire lifetime. Usually two cans or bottles per day, but once in a great while he drank at least three cans/bottles per day. One of my relatives told me that when my father was young he sometimes drank as much as a six pack per day.

Eventually, the soda consumption caught up with him in old age. He had a very mild case of diabetes. The soda destroyed his kidneys. He had dialysis appointments three times per week near the end of his life. He died in an awful way while in the hospital.

A former friend began drinking soda during early teenage years after a doctor told him that drinking milk was the cause of his shoulder pain. By his late 40's my friend had consumed so much soda that it destroyed all of his teeth. Over the course of a few years he endured numerous dental surgeries for implants. Pain and prescription meds became a way of life for a while. The last time I talked with him was about a year ago. He was nearly done with the implant work. Insurance covered most of the cost, but the deductibles still cost a few thousand dollars.

5-90 10-27-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010Rubicon (Post 17209818)
My father drank soda during his entire lifetime. Usually two cans or bottles per day, but once in a great while he drank at least three cans/bottles per day. One of my relatives told me that when my father was young he sometimes drank as much as a six pack per day.

My caffeine intake (all forms) used to be characterised as something like LD50 to LD75 - as far as the stimulant effect, I seem to be immune (I've been drinking coffee since I was six, and it had no effect on me then - apart from being something warm to drink on a cold day.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010Rubicon (Post 17209818)
Eventually, the soda consumption caught up with him in old age. He had a very mild case of diabetes. The soda destroyed his kidneys. He had dialysis appointments three times per week near the end of his life. He died in an awful way while in the hospital.

See comments elsewhere on "normal variation." However, due to the meds I have to take for other conditions (mainly post-traumatic,) my liver and kidney functions get checked twice a year. I'm waiting for them to come down to where they can be measured in the first place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2010Rubicon (Post 17209818)
A former friend began drinking soda during early teenage years after a doctor told him that drinking milk was the cause of his shoulder pain. By his late 40's my friend had consumed so much soda that it destroyed all of his teeth. Over the course of a few years he endured numerous dental surgeries for implants. Pain and prescription meds became a way of life for a while. The last time I talked with him was about a year ago. He was nearly done with the implant work. Insurance covered most of the cost, but the deductibles still cost a few thousand dollars.

Again, normal variation. I'm 41 years old, have thirty-two perfectly healthy teeth (including third molars,) and no fillings. This is including a lot of time spent in the field (no water to brush teeth - you'd be amazed how much Milk-Bones can help with that!) and a spicy enough diet that people are amazed I haven't dissolved them anyhow.

A couple of years ago, I went in for a cleaning. First time I'd seen a dentist in 17 years.

He told me "your enamel is too thick." That's a problem?

My biggest dental problem? "Firm" toothbrushes are getting damned near impossible to find - my worn toothbrushes have firmer bristles than the "mediums" out now! And, who the Hell thought "Extra Soft" would get anything clean?!?

I may have to pillage through Nylon parts brushes to find something useful now. Probably be cheaper anyway...

2006_Sport 10-27-2013 10:34 PM

I've cut back but I used to kill 3 cans of Dr pepper a day

prjohnson 10-28-2013 07:05 AM

I'm glad I don't care for sodas, they've never done it for me. About all I drink is water, grape juice, straight bourbon, or beer. I don't think two sodas a day is overdoing it though. If you have family history of diabetes, then you could have problems later on in life.

dayriesw 10-28-2013 07:50 AM

My parents drink and have drunk soda (we call it coke in the south) for years. 3+ cans a day. My dad was diagnosed with diabetes a couple years back and he backed off to 1-2 a day and switched to diet. They both are down to 1 a day now but love there cokes. When I learned of my dad's problem, I quit cold turkey. I noticed (this may or may not have to do with the coke) that I lost about 5 pounds a month later. I now drink maybe 3-4 a week and can tell it if I had 2 in a day because I feel gittery.

NHYJ4213 10-28-2013 07:56 AM

Man... I wish I was on the 1-3 a day plan.. I drink way more than that aha and mt dew.. I don't get cravings without I just don't want to drink anything else.. I choose to live haply than live by rules making me . . My .02

V65Ozzie 10-28-2013 07:59 AM

Dude, I do about 3 12 packs or Diet MT dew a week, can't help ya, I'm seriously addicted to the stuff. Back in the day it was Jolt Cola.

2006_Sport 10-28-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prjohnson (Post 17213770)
I'm glad I don't care for sodas, they've never done it for me. About all I drink is water, grape juice, straight bourbon, or beer. I don't think two sodas a day is overdoing it though. If you have family history of diabetes, then you could have problems later on in life.

My dad's father had diabetes but he didn't. Not sure if that's going to get passed on to me or not. I used to drink way more than 3 cans a day but that was when I was without a job and didn't have much to do all day :laugh:


The time now is 06:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.