If you were/are in the military - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > If you were/are in the military

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-11-2008, 08:12 AM   #1
vadslram
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you were/are in the military

When did you first see McCain?
I saw his butt running and his plane thrown over the side of the Forestall in a movie in 1979, 1980, 81,82,83,.........

and with the immortal lines
"watch the chief try to put out the fire with a handheld extinguisher, The chief with the purple k is now dead"

I've seen that navy firefighting movie about a hundred times and never realized that young McCain was the pilot that the on deck missile hit until I looked up his military carreer and followed an obscure link back to that movie.

vadslram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 04:56 AM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! You're kidding!! He was the one in that "Burn baby, burn" movie???

I work with a guy that was there on the Forest Fire at the time. He said he was never so glad his berthing was under the catapult stops than that day!!
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 08:58 AM   #3
YellowBeast
2008 JK Wrangler 

Was in the Air Force here, didn't see McCain until he was a senator
YellowBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
ShinySideUp
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, I saw that movie about a hundred times too ... and all the bad memories came back in a flood when I heard it was McCain on the deck.

2 years of in-port and at-sea fire party - we had to watch that stupid movie SO many times. It's been almost 15 years, and i can still remember some of the dialogue. It's like a flashback to Rocky Horro Picture Show.

Is there a "[B]Black Jeep [/B]Club?"

[URL="http://www.militaryjeepers.com"][SIZE="4"][COLOR="Olive"]militaryjeepers[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL] [SIZE="4"]club member #254[/SIZE]

Unread 09-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
bigj1974
1999 TJ Wrangler 

are these movies like bad defensive driving movies? except, worse somehow?
bigj1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 10:38 AM   #6
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

Yes, the one in particular that vadslram is talking about is called "Burn baby, burn" and is about an incident in 1967 aboard the USS Forrestal where a fully loaded and armed plane on the flight deck had a misfire of a missile. It flew across the deck, hitting another plane (also fully loaded and armed) which caused a MAJOR conflagration all over the place. Our presidential candidate was sitting in his plane (I do believe it was an A4) getting ready for take off when all hell broke loose around him. Fire and explosions, bombs going off, planes blowing up, etc. He bailed out and ran over the nose of his plane and made his escape.

After all was said and done there was 134 people dead and 161 injured, almost an entire squadron of planes totaled, and the Forrestal was a wreck. The incident caused the US Navy to completely rethink how it fought shipboard fires, how the firefighting teams were organized and equipped, and how the ships were equipped with built in fire fighting equipment (deck mounted AFFF nozzles and water sprayers).

But, in spectacular government style, the movie is narrated by someone sounding like Opie. The guy tries to sound all dramatic and sincere, but comes across as totally bored and "WTF am I doing here?".
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 10:45 AM   #7
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

My uncle was on the Forrestal when it caught fire. Made an impression on him. SOB had a fire extinguisher in every room of the **** house.

I miss the old goat FID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 11:38 AM   #8
vwjarhead
2008 JK Wrangler 

First saw him in 91 being interviewed about the treatment of downed pilots in Iraq.
I saw the USS Forrestal though when I lived in R.I. from 99-00. It was(maybe still is) docked at the Naval base in Newport, RI.
Unread 09-12-2008, 11:43 AM   #9
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

According to the NVR, her final status is "donated for use as fishing reef." In 2007, the ship is currently being environmentally prepared for sinking as an artificial reef. Due to elements of the Forrestal design having led directly to current aircraft carrier design, the ship will be donated to a State and sunk in a deep water reef, for fishery propagation, so that it is inaccessible to divers. The date for the sinking has not yet been announced.

according to wiki anyway

Quote:
Any video of the sound?
Unread 09-12-2008, 11:47 AM   #10
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLJeeper View Post
My uncle was on the Forrestal when it caught fire. Made an impression on him. SOB had a fire extinguisher in every room of the **** house.
How many rooms were in your **** house? That sounds like a big crapper.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2008, 12:19 PM   #11
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LandRover View Post
How many rooms were in your **** house? That sounds like a big crapper.
Its very plush for a crapper

Quote:
Any video of the sound?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.