I think I made the salesman mad - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > I think I made the salesman mad

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineRugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 09-06-2005, 04:12 PM   #1
Ned97sahara

I think I made the salesman mad

I just stopped at a local dealership and looked at a used 97 cobra. I looked over the car and noticed that off the bat it needs new tires at all four corners cause the ones on it now are dry rotted so bad you can see the wires in the cracks. And it also needs new brakes all around. And for it to even look nice it needs a new paint job. Somebody tried to cover up the scrathes and paint chips with some cover up paint that doesn't even match the color of the car. As for mileage it has 130,283 miles on it. So I started it up and to no surprise it has a exhaust leak well now it's going to need a new exhaust and there is a tap coming from the motor when I reved it up alittle, could it possibly need the heads redone and while your doing that why not pull the motor and rebuild it. Back to the body the passanger side door doesn't match up to the fender and the emblem is missing off that side. I Looked at the front bumper and the fog light on the driver side is pointing to the inside of the bumper and the passanger side of the bumper is really loose with a nice chunck missing right underneath the fog light. Possible that it kissed a curb in it's life. So I asked the guy how much and he said 7,500. So I alittle and then he said if he gave it to me for 6,000 would I be interested. I told him it needs alot of work (I didn't mention everything I noticed above) And he started getting alittle attitude and said it is a perfect fixer upper. He then asked me how I would rate it from 1-10 1 being poor and 10 being excelent. I told him I would give it a 5 and that was being nice. He got rather angry with me and walked away. I don't think he liked that very much. I know the car is 8 years old but most cobras that age are right around 8,000 bucks in alot better shape than this one. I know this is kind of long but I thought I would share it with ya's.

3rd jeep:2004 grand cherokee WJ special edition
W/MTR 245/75/R16's (sold for 07 Ranger)
Ned97sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 04:30 PM   #2
SWIZZ

lol What I like doing is getting into spec wars with them! Try that and your post will be alot longer lmfao!!!!!!!

Good for you!!! Those types always think they can shmooze people into buying -=-=-=-=!
SWIZZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
scottcha

Pissing off used car salesmen is a good thing.

[COLOR=White]White Jeep Club member #178[/COLOR]
Colorado Jeepers Club member #7
scottcha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 04:56 PM   #4
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I had a similar situation, went to look at a used car. It was only 1-2 years old. Underneath was scrtached up real bad, there was alot of over spray and runs on the paint up front and a different battery than stock. I asked him if it had ever been in a wreck, he replied no. He asked me what I thought of the car, I told him it appeared to have had some front end damage, he told he didn't know the history of the car. I asked him, how come when I asked you if it had been in a wreck you quickly replied no, now you tell me you don't know the history of the car. I told him he was is dumb or a liar and didn't didn't want to do business with him. He asked if I wanted to see another car and said no, I don't trust you. That upset him very much and he asked how I could tell the car I been in a wreck. I told him and than asked him how he didn't know? That pissed him off more, esp when I recommended he look for a different line of work. I am not any where close to a mechanic but some things are just obvious. Bought my grand from another dealership the next day.

Most car sales men just don't know their product, many are just liars. Either way you need to becareful.

2001 TJ, 33 trxus MTs , W, locked, belly up, some armor.

"If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time." Zig Ziglar
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 05:42 PM   #5
racer35

When I was looking in to getting a new car I called a dealer about a 1990 mustang GT. On the add it said cobra. I called the company and they said it was a error and they were going to fix it. So I drive my happy *** down to the dealer and really liked the car and was going to buy it, but the sales person opened his big mouth and said, "they didn't make cobras till 97" I told him "yes they did" Roush sold ford the rights to use the cobra name in 66, and the next year they made the 67 cobra hatchback. He started to diagree with me while I started to name years the cobra were produced. I was so pissed off and decided I didn't want to buy a fixer upper at a normal price from that guy.

good thing to becasue I bought my jeep the next day!

I hate buying cars, but love owning them!
racer35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 05:51 PM   #6
Ned97sahara

I am looking for a fixer upper sports car or muscle car but I would give them tops 4,000 for this thing. I know that it had to have hit at least a curb so I wonder what kind of damage was done to the suspension. My first thought is because of the shape it is in and milage that some rich guy bought it brand new for $30,000+ and beat the piss out of it cause he has money and doesn't care. I have seen them on e-bay with half the milage or less in showroom condition for the same price or alittle more. Dealerships always try to rip you off. Some kid will buy it that doesn't know much or anything about cars and will end up putting major work into it along with emptying his wallet.
3rd jeep:2004 grand cherokee WJ special edition
W/MTR 245/75/R16's (sold for 07 Ranger)
Ned97sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 06:00 PM   #7
racer35

I uesd to be that kid, LOL.

All you see when you are a horny teen is 350hp, yup I used to buy crapy cars and not know it. I am smarter now, thank god.
racer35 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 06:36 PM   #8
The_'ster
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Worst case I'd ever seen firsthand was some idiot who bought a "fixer upper" BMW Z3 off the internet for half what most used Z3's would go for. So he's all stoked to get his lucky find up and running and brought it to a german shop I used to work at.

First off I notice the horrible rattle can paint job on the passenger door. The pass floor underneath looked like someone trowled on an inch of bondo. The driveshaft is missing, the engine computer is missing, exhaust manifold is smashed to heck, brake parts are missing, suspension parts bent, tons of expensive little engine parts are broken. The body was so poorly straightened that half the suspension mounts didn't even line up. Last I knew he had spent way more than any used Z3 and it still wasn't right.

Don't buy salvage fixer upper's, it's not worth it.
Unread 09-06-2005, 06:41 PM   #9
tcourdin

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcha
Pissing off used car salesmen is a good thing.
Thats right. If You dont piss them off with the first offer, You offered too much!
88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 07:46 PM   #10
TJVigilante
Web Wheeler

If the car salesman got pissed at you saying the car's worth alot less than what they're asking, then he owns the car and is selling it through the dealership or he recently traded it in on a newer ride. You just insulted his pride and joy. Well, he should have taken better care of it.
TJVigilante is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 08:13 PM   #11
RAAB3485
Viewer Discretion Advised

2004 WJ 

Pissing off dealers is the best. I did this very well when I bought my WJ. I went in, just kind of looking around, as my ZJ had just gotten totalled out. Not really expecting to buy anything, as I hate buying cars from Dealerships, I just like test driving them. Well, a guy I knew worked at the dealership and said, "you gotta see this WJ we just got in". So he took me around the back and showed me this silver WJ. It was pretty dirty as the people had just traded it in that day. Drove it, liked the way it drove, it really did need a good wash, but it was nice. Get to the dealership and ask what they want for it. They want $15,900. (99 WJ Limited, 81k, very good condition) 15,9, with my $1500 down payment with no trade brought the payments to like $460 a month or something outrageous like that. Well, they always make you fill out the paperwork saying "if you get the price down to this (always a number they won't sink to) I'll buy today" Well, I put, that I would buy if they got the payments down to $220 a month, with $1500 down. They bs me, and bs me some more and get it down to like 350, 300, etc, which I'm still saying no to. Well during this time, somebody miscommunicated with their boss, who in turn miscommunicated with someone else telling them that they came to a deal with me and it was sold. Well, that was far from the truth, all I had agreed to was 220 a month, with 1500 down. Finally, the sales manager walks up to me. He says, "Look, my finance manager told me that you were going to buy this car, I told the (head honcho guy, can't remember what hes called) that you were buying it. Now you are backing out because you hadn't agreed to a price yet. What do I have to do to save face so I can sell you this car?" I replied with "220 a month, 1500 down." He punched some numbers in his computer, and turned the screen to me. "If we do this, we are only making 200 dollars on the car based on what we traded it in for. Plus, we put new tires and brakes in it so we are actually losing money" He showed me the screen, something customers are not supposed to see. I said, "Thats my deal, I'm sorry if you can't make it work" Next thing I know, I see him in a heated discussion with a guy, comes over, has me sign some paperwork without talking to me, and walks off all pissed off. Ended up getting it for less than the employee price on vehicles there. It was awesome.

Sorry for the book, but it humors me.

Colorado Jeep Club Member #1
RAAB3485 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2005, 08:34 PM   #12
SteelBlueTJ
Web Wheeler
2012 JK Wrangler 

About a year ago when I was looking for a Jeep to buy my dad took me to look at this '95 YJ Shahara, Full doors, hard top, 80,000 miles. It was a nice Jeep but it did have a good bit of rust and the interior was in bad shape. Besides I knew that I would rather have a TJ. The salesman kept trying to convince me to buy it. Price was $6995 to start then he said he'd take $6000. I then said that I was also looking at the Jeep across the street at another used car dealer who has amazing prices and very nice newer cars. It was a 99 TJ Sport, soft top, half doors, also had 80,000 miles for $7500. Then the salesman said he'd let me have the YJ for $5000 out the door. I said that I would think about it and left. The next day I went over to the other lot and bought the TJ. Even though it was more money I think I made the right choice.
SteelBlueTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.