I need your help JF!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > I need your help JF!!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectThanksgiving holiday sale in effect @ oconeeoffroad.comRugged Ridge 8500lb Winch w/ Steel Cable $294.99 Shipped O

Unread 11-15-2014, 12:12 AM   #1
1984XJ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I need your help JF!!

Man... I cant beleive this day is possibly coming.

Ill try to make it quick and hopefully east to follow.

Im formatting this weird to avoid wall of text. Sorry.

Long story short.
I went to school for welding, and graduated with an associates degree.

Could not find a welding job that would hire me, so my brother got me in at his small little shop. Just 4 of us at the time. The boss. My Brother. Me. and the Service Writer.

Many people have come and gone, and none have quite fit in the 'family'.

Boss has dumped money into my brother and I to aid us in becoming mechanics. Ive been to some of the top hybrid schools/classes around.

He has always seen the work ethic/potential in us.

Ive never taken a sick day. Dislocated my shoulder and had doctor's note telling me not to work for atleast 3 days. blah blah. We just suck it up and always go to work, because that's how ive been raised.

Work is very fun.. But the pay sucks and ZERO benefits.

I feel taken advantage of, I am doing work at 11$/hr that people are getting paid 20+.. Huge jobs on cars and Always making time, etc.

Now I have an opportuniy to further my life. Doors have opened and people are calling me to get hired on at my dad's job, Varian Medical Systems.

They are looking for a welder and someone to send to school to become a lead engineer.

Good pay, benefits, and retirement.

I have an Interview wednesday, but nobody in the shop except for my brother knows about.

What do I do? Put my two weeks in without prior notice? Tell boss and service writer I have an interview?

Sorry if this is hard to follow, Ive been thinking non-stop lately and just need to read some people's advice.

_(o)_)____(o)_)--o)_)

Daily Driver Jeep #16
Utah Jeep'n
1984XJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2014, 12:43 AM   #2
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Well I think you should secure a job before doing anything else or mentioning it. I know it seems a little odd or unloyal but if your boss finds out you are looking around he just might fire you or figure out a way to let you go. If the interview goes good and you get an offer then request that you want 2 weeks to give your current employer. See if the new job would go ahead and hire you sooner in case your current boss suggests you to leave asap.

I wouldn't feel too bad about what you need to do, after all its you future, your life and you have already invested time and money into a better career. Oh and good luck with the interview and potential job, sounds like you deserve it.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2014, 02:54 AM   #3
Hurley91

Wait until you hear back from the other job. If you get the job, tell them you're a very loyal person, and you'd like to at least give your boss a 2 weeks notice. If they say they need you now, then tell your boss you were given a one in a lifetime opportunity, and that your sorry to do this to him, you appreciate everything he's done for you, blah blah blah, and that you have to quit to better your future with this new job.
Unread 11-15-2014, 10:36 AM   #4
cojab

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I work for a combination fire department. We have a full time career staff, and a back up staff of volunteers. We lose these volunteers all the time. We train them and work them and after getting some very good experience, they start applying all over the state for full time careers and we lose a good number of them.
This sucks for us as we have a good deal of time and money invested in these people but it is great for the guys looking for a full time job. We never hold it against these guys and actually help them and encourage them as they are making a better life for themselves. We hire them also as we have openings but that is a long process.

The point here is you have to do what is better for you and your situation. I respect the loyalty you are displaying but you need to weigh what future each job holds for you and decide from there. You might stick it out with the current job if it holds great promise for advancement but if not dont feel bad for bettering yourself and your value.

Wait until you have secured the other job before putting in your two weeks notice. Your possible future employer shouldn't have any problem with this as they would want the same courtesy given to them. Your current employer should also respect and understand you making a better future for yourself.

Best of luck to you.
cojab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2014, 01:13 PM   #5
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cojab View Post
Wait until you have secured the other job before putting in your two weeks notice. Your possible future employer shouldn't have any problem with this as they would want the same courtesy given to them. Your current employer should also respect and understand you making a better future for yourself.

Best of luck to you.
This!
As a small time employer we can only do so much as far as pay and bennies. I hold nothing against the man who wants to and can better himself.

$11.00 bucks an hour? I start my guys at $15.00 with performance raises. Sadly they are both still at $15 while my lead man is at $27

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-15-2014, 02:10 PM   #6
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

You take sick time (medical appointment) and go to the interview. Giving notice makes no sense unless you've received and accepted a written offer. I've always negotiated pay when going through the interview process.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-20-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Cooneys08JK

2008 JK Wrangler 

As the others have said, don't say a word until the offer is in your hand. Not worth the headache. Don't feel too bad, $11 per hour blows for the type of work you are doing.

They just built a theater in my old town and are hiring special needs kids (mostly kids with downs) full time to help out around the theater.

It is an awesome thing they are doing and giving these kids employment. What do they start at? $10 an hour....

'99 Chilli Pepper XJ- Wheeler- BFG ATs, 2 " BB + bolt on stuff
Cooneys08JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 12:23 PM   #8
Cause
WHAT !!!!

Hell no...
Quit NOW, Today!!!

The 'other job' might come along soon. ...you need the rest, right? Don't wait and waste your time...

Call'em up and tell them to take that job and shove it... you will feel great after.
Cause is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #9
Rebel442
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Move on. Better yourself first sometimes you just gotta be a little selfish. At 27 years old $11 bucks an hour sucks way too much. Ive always found the best raises come from moving jobs. Don't stick with a deadend job just because you like the people. Chances are good you'll like some of the people at the next place.
Unread 11-21-2014, 02:08 PM   #10
vindicated
Did you miss me?

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Um, baby steps bro.

Step 1) Take Interview
Step 2) Get the ****ing job first
Step 3) Give as much notice as new employer will allow. Be open and honest with both parties.
Step 4) Enjoy new life having not burnt any bridges.

You are most certainly welcome for the solid ****ing advice.
vindicated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
nwiTJdave

I currently work for family and get paid about 30% less than industry norm the same position. Benefits are okay, nothing great. This past week I have had two interviews for two different positions. If I receive an offer from either place then I am taking that to my boss and say match them or consider this my two weeks notice. I'm as loyal as anyone out there but working at a 30% discount for the past 8 years is me losing roughly 175k over that period. That's a large number. Sometimes though you have to do what is best for you. You only have one life, it's okay to be selfish and picky at times.

This is for fighting, this is for fun.
nwiTJdave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 02:47 AM   #12
holliewood61
1981 CJ7 

I had to do the same thing a little over a year ago. I had been working as a mechanic at a mom and pop shop for 6 yrs. When our wonderful president decided everyone needed insurance I got on the job hunt. I was straight up with the owner. I told him I would need to start looking, I told him when I had interviews, and told him when I secured a new job. No deception, no burnt bridges. If I had to I could go back down there and be working tomorrow. You never know what could happen at the new job, so don't leave the current one with any hard feelings for anyone involved. You may need to come back in a pinch one day
60 CJ5 tore down
holliewood61 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-24-2014, 10:57 AM   #13
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Do it, if the job is as good as you say it is, take it and leave.

Simple, but don't burn bridges.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.