I need help choosing something fun to go Jeepin in - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > I need help choosing something fun to go Jeepin in

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-29-2008, 10:11 AM   #31
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

There are a ton of 4.0 6cyl YJ's. I've had two of them, so there's at least two out there I'd definately reccomend getting the 6. A YJ with a fuel injected 6 cyl is a tank. STAY AWAY FROM the 4.2 with a carb(YJ's up to '90 or so)! The carb will give you fits. Fuel injection all the way.

Lots of people swear by the 4, but no one really knows why.

Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2008, 01:50 PM   #32
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree on the 4.0 6 cyl. One of the most reliable engines ever! My friend had one of the first cherokees to get the 4.0. Recently he scrapped it because the whole vehicle was falling apart around the engine but the original 300+k mi engine still started right up and ran perfectly!

The 4.2 is a lot of fun but the gas mileage is pretty bad! At least the way I drove it! My Dad had an 88 Sahara with that engine. It would get about 8mpg when I was driving it (at about 18 y o). With my Dad behind the wheel I think it got 11 or 12 on the little stock tires.
Unread 01-29-2008, 03:01 PM   #33
That1guy
2007 WK 

Most YJ's I see are 4cyl's. They are alot of 6cyl's but they seem to cost about 2000 more than the same jeep with a 4cyl. I still vote Cherokee.
Unread 01-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #34
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I got my '92 with the 6 cyl and some basic mods, in perfect shape, completely rust free, with 83,000 miles on it, with hardtop, soft top, full doors, and safari doors, for $6500. The deals are out there. I'd definatley shop around for a 6 cyl.
Unread 01-30-2008, 04:43 AM   #35
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy
Most YJ's I see are 4cyl's. They are alot of 6cyl's but they seem to cost about 2000 more than the same jeep with a 4cyl. I still vote Cherokee.
I've only seen Cherokees with the 4.0 engine. Did they come any other way? I really like the looks of both the Cherokee and YJ, so it's going to be tough to choose-both have their merits. I think I'm firm on the manual tranny though. I've never been a fan of autos.

Here's another question (and thank you all for indulging my ever curious mind), auto vs manual. Any benefits/disadvantages to either? As you can tell, I normally lean in the manual direction, but how is wheeling with an auto?

thanks again. You guys are great.
JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-30-2008, 10:48 AM   #36
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

A lot of people swear by the auto for wheeling...no worry of slipping the clutch, no jumping from the brake to gas while you're rolling backwards, etc.

Other people prefer the control the manual offers and swear that an auto is a crutch for those with no skill. The debate rages on...
Unread 01-30-2008, 11:25 AM   #37
That1guy
2007 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel0129
I've only seen Cherokees with the 4.0 engine. Did they come any other way? I really like the looks of both the Cherokee and YJ, so it's going to be tough to choose-both have their merits. I think I'm firm on the manual tranny though. I've never been a fan of autos.

Here's another question (and thank you all for indulging my ever curious mind), auto vs manual. Any benefits/disadvantages to either? As you can tell, I normally lean in the manual direction, but how is wheeling with an auto?

thanks again. You guys are great.

The cherokee's did come with a 4cyl motor, but most have the 6cyl. I would stay away from 4 banggers. Most cherokee's are auto, but manuals can be found.

The old auto vs manual debate.
Basically I think it depends on what the rig is used for. If you want to go play in the mud or trial ride then the manual is fun, but if you want to play in rocks or anything that requires slow speeds the auto wins hands down. I would personally get a manual because I like it, but I have no plans on rock crawling.
Unread 01-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #38
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by That1guy
The cherokee's did come with a 4cyl motor, but most have the 6cyl. I would stay away from 4 banggers. Most cherokee's are auto, but manuals can be found.

The old auto vs manual debate.
Basically I think it depends on what the rig is used for. If you want to go play in the mud or trial ride then the manual is fun, but if you want to play in rocks or anything that requires slow speeds the auto wins hands down. I would personally get a manual because I like it, but I have no plans on rock crawling.
Like you said, they're hard as hell to find. Be prepared to look long and hard. I looked for over a year and the only ones I found had bent up unibody and were over 8 hours away. They're not common at all.
[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Black Jeep Club member #127[/FONT][/B]
fastredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.