I need help choosing something fun to go Jeepin in - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > I need help choosing something fun to go Jeepin in

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15”/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 01-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #16
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000000to1
A tj with coils will ride better than a yj, I've had both, you can buy an early tj cheap if you shop around and if you disconnect the front swaybar you will have all kinds of articulation. I believe a tj and yj are better in hills than something like a cherokee because of the short wheelbase and sharp cornering, you would be amazed at how tight of spaces you can get into, also your less likely to get body panel damage in this style of jeep. As for the family my wife and two kids wheel with me all the time, in the summer with the top off they just jump over the sides, which is one other nice thing about a yj or tj there a convertable, kind of like two toys in one. What types of damage I would look for is scrapes in the transfer skids, diffs, and frame rails dints in oil pan diff covers, damage to body panels that may be covered by body armor, yj's may have bent shakles on leaf springs, tj's may have bent control arms, drive shaft damage (will vibrate at higher speeds) if you can check diff fluids if they are milky may have been in lots of water, also check sidewalls on tires for cuts or signs that they have been stuck lots, like wear on the lettering etc. Check trim around doors etc. for overspray, may be a sign of previous accidents or body damage. Hope this helps.

Thanks-this helps a lot. I was wondering about the tight space thing with the longer body of the Cherokee. You never know where you'll end up! My husband and I used to off road with a Suzuki Samurai when we were much younger-- He used to love the tight spots he could get around in with that thing. He's still bummed about getting rid of it (and that was over 10 years ago! ). I think he's excited about this, because I catch him checking out craigs list all the time.

Keep it coming-this is great info to consider. As you can see, I'm an information freak knowledge seeker-the more I know the better! Even the kids are excited now. Can't wait to hit a trail or two.

JeepinGirlCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 11:26 AM   #17
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by POLBOSS
Stock 2006 Rubicon FTW
Sorry Already working on 2 other Jeep payments-gotta buy this one for cash or else it'll have to wait.

Figure the less expensive way will be a fast track to fun
Unread 01-27-2008, 12:17 PM   #18
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie
And the 2000 is nice (save for the usual cracked aluminum intake manifold).

Lifts are easy too for them, the rear only has a sway bar and two leaf springs.

thanks Sharpie-that was the kind of information I was looking for. If that's a common problem, I can make sure Mike checks out for that

Great info! I love this site!
Unread 01-27-2008, 01:00 PM   #19
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...ats=0&format=0

There is something fun to go Jeepin in...
[B][FONT="Arial Black"]Black Jeep Club member #127[/FONT][/B]
fastredjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 01:08 PM   #20
Coyotes97
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I agree with the others that the Cherokee fits your needs the best, but the Wrangler is so much more fun IMHO. The size is part of it but the top and doors off is a lot of it for me and the family. My young kids (3&6) LOVE it! You do have to get a bit creative as far as storage. Right now we put tools and recovery gear in 1/2 the storage in the back. A water jug in the other half. Straps and stuff go under the rear seat. My kids are small so the don't need foot room. We put a small cooler on each side under their feet. Then jackets, sunscreen, food, and other essentials between the coolers. We could probably use a rack.

Unread 01-27-2008, 03:55 PM   #21
That1guy
2007 WK 

I say get a cherokee. It can hold 4 people easy and can hold alot of gear in the back. They are usually cheaper than a wrangler and most haven't been abused off road. High miles isn't a problem as long as it was taken care of.

The cherokee isn't that much longer over a wrangler. I think the wheel base is 98 for a wrangler and 103 for a cherokee.

I agree the wrangler has the cool factor, and is a little better out of the box than the cherokee, but the cherokee can suprise most. You can find a cherokee in a manual if you look.

I just think its too hard to try to fit 4 people and cargo in a wrangler, unless you get a LJ, but that wasn't made until 04 so it will cost a good bit.
Unread 01-27-2008, 03:58 PM   #22
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

There's a 2000 XJ for 4K down the street. It's got 171K miles on it, but the body looks great. We've bought from those guys before, and usually they're willing to deal.

Thanks for the feedback
Unread 01-27-2008, 06:51 PM   #23
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel0129
There's a 2000 XJ for 4K down the street. It's got 171K miles on it, but the body looks great. We've bought from those guys before, and usually they're willing to deal.

Thanks for the feedback
You no rike my idea?
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:15 PM   #24
Reswob
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredjeep
You no rike my idea?
If only every girl would go Jeepin' in this....

#27. Shirts get dirty. Underwear gets dirty. Pants? Pants never get dirty, and you can wear them forever.
Reswob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-27-2008, 09:39 PM   #25
Bgeddes
Ridin' with the King

Don't get too wrapped up in the cracked this or that on the '00-'01s. Most of the bad ones were owned by hotrodding drivers or non-maintenance drivers. Properly driven and maintained they will be fine. I own both a Cherokee (XJ) and an '88 Wrangler (YJ). As others have mentioned, the Wrangler wins from a fun factor but two people with a tool box, modest off-roads spares, and a cooler full of lunch and drinks, and she's loaded completely. No way for two more bodies. The Cherokee would be tight with four folks but at least reasonably comfortable. I don't think there are that many sitations that the bigger vehicle would be a terrible disadvantage.
Unread 01-28-2008, 03:31 AM   #26
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastredjeep
You no rike my idea?
Well, considering that I'm not a lesbian (and it's okay if anyone out there is), she's not my type, although I wish I had her body!! Damn-and I only did 1/2 hour on the treadmill this morning. Where's my Slim-Fast??!!

For all you dudes out there....enjoy!
Unread 01-28-2008, 03:28 PM   #27
fastredjeep
1986 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cel0129
Well, considering that I'm not a lesbian (and it's okay if anyone out there is), she's not my type, although I wish I had her body!! Damn-and I only did 1/2 hour on the treadmill this morning. Where's my Slim-Fast??!!

For all you dudes out there....enjoy!
Yeah, I wish I had her body too...right next to me!

Go with the XJ. Its a good rig and tough and durable. I have two, one is 22 years old and still here!
Unread 01-28-2008, 03:53 PM   #28
LandRover
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Another vote for a YJ. Leaf springs are cheaper to lift, they're arguably more capable than the longer station wagons, and for the money you can make it into a way more capable vehicle. I also agree on buying a non-abused one...but there are some out there that already have the lift, but have been street queens their whole life.
Sliders, Goodyear Duratrac 33's
LandRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2008, 03:56 PM   #29
Grewe02
Guns > Swords

1980 CJ5 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmond 88 YJ
Get a cheap YJ. They're super capable in stock form, inexpensive and easy to mod if you want to go that route. Plus they have more SPG than anything else, (Stupid Per Gallon) and we all know square headlights are the ugliest.

Either way, starting with a YJ is a very inexpensive way to learn and figure out what direction you want to go.

Welcome to the party!
I agree!!! An older YJ (with no rust) is a PERFECT starting point for a wheeling rig. Only modification needed is to get rid of the squares!
I've had a crush on the Prius since it's debut. I got somethin' wrong upstairs.
Grewe02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2008, 03:30 AM   #30
JeepinGirlCT
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Are YJ's usually 4 cylinder, or do they have 6's too? I've seen a lot of pictures of people wheeling in those.

As far as the teddy goes, it's all good until someone gets their eye poked out. I'm talking SERIOUS high beams

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.