I just got another car..but need help and advice... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > I just got another car..but need help and advice...

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 09-02-2001, 04:38 AM   #1
Type S

I just got another car..but need help and advice...

I bought a 1992 Jeep Cherokee from my frined who gave me a good deal and he is the first owner of the car..that car is clean..has not accident at all..drives pretty good..the exterior and interior is good and clean...My question is that my frined told me that if the 4X4 mode is on.. i can not drive over 55 miles.. that will damaged the 4X4 system...is that true??? and can i switch to 4X4 at any speed? or there is certain speed..need advices??

1996 BMW M3 <---Saving money to buy..Coming soon...Hopefully
!!!! VTEC Power !!!! ////M Power\\\\
Powered by [b]HONDA[/b]
Powered by [b]MUGEN[/b]

[email]typescl@yahoo.com[/email]
Type S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2001, 04:34 PM   #2
FLHT_FXRS_YJ

You can drive at highway speeds in 4x4 high range, but I don't think that you really want to go much faster than 55. If your in 4x4 high on the highway, there must be a reason for it - like the roads are really crappy, with about a foot of fresh snow, and your pulling a 4 place snowmobile trailer loaded down. You can shift in and out of 4 high at any speed while you are moving. To go into 4x4 low range, you really should be stopped, and top speed would be about 35mph.
There is no reason to have 4x4 engaged on dry pavement, and could cause wear on the system.

By the way, it's a Jeep, not a car!
89' YJ - 4.2 - NV4500 - NP231w/sye - 1" Body Lift - 2 1/2" Rancho Suspension Lift - 31" Firestone MTR - AR Outlaw II - Tomken Bumpers F & R - Warn 8000 front - Warn 6000 rec. mount rear - FlowFit Seats - Tom Woods Rear & Custom 2" front driveshafts
FLHT_FXRS_YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2001, 02:34 PM   #3
Nightclaw
1994 YJ Wrangler 

To expound on the topic, the NP231 is a chain-driven transfer case that really isn't designed for high-speed operation. It just plain isn't good for the chain. It is OK to shift into 4H at any safe speed. The xfer case will NOT shift into 4L unless you are stopped or nearly stopped.

Also, the NP231 is not an all-wheel-drive xfer case, but an on-demand case. There is no differential in the xfer case. So, if you're on dry pavement and you turn while moving, you get a difference in rotation between front and rear driveshafts, and due to tire traction, the driveline gets bound up. This is the fastest way to snap U-joints, axle shafts, steering knuckles/joints, or the xfer case itself.

Off road, you get wheel slippage, so driveline binding doesn't occurr as severely.
4.0L / AX-15 / Stock NP231 / Stock D30 (open) / D60 (35-spline, Detroit locker, Moser axles) / rear disc brakes / 4.56 gears / Advanced Adapters SYE & CV Shaft / 33" BFG MT-KM's / Thorley Header / Magnaflow Muffler / BesTop Flares
Nightclaw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.