I bring this to you, because I can't seem to get it answered elsewhere - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > I bring this to you, because I can't seem to get it answered elsewhere

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-10-2008, 07:24 PM   #1
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

I bring this to you, because I can't seem to get it answered elsewhere

As you may know, I just bought my Demon with a 225cid slant six yesterday. Since then, I've tried to get it started:

new coil, test light lights at coil but no spark from coil-distributor wire or spark plug wires.

new distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser, and spark plugs. wires are on order to be here tomorrow.

new FRAM G2 fuel filter with flow arrow (I think?) pointing to fuel pump (but filter is filling, whereas otherwise it was not)

new battery

it almost started earlier today. sounded like it detonated, but stupidly I let go of the ignition (habit). after that, it went back to not starting

I don't think it's bad wiring (other than plug wires) because I am getting 12V to the coil. I haven't gapped the points, but I think that it would require spark from the coil to make a difference?

I have been told it could be the resistor, which I will replace tomorrow, but could it be anything else? I've also hit the carb with carb cleaner and gasoline, and still no start.

Check out our shirts in the Vendor Display Forum!

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
jeepinandy
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I had an old Dart with the 318, the small white resistor on the fire wall almost put me in the looney bin...

I would go ahead and replace it as part of the tune up..

Best of luck with your "new" car

[url]www.cardomain.com/ride/529567[/url]
jeepinandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:36 PM   #3
Awshux
Cynical Bastard

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Bad gas? Water in the fuel? How long has it been sitting? Did you drain the fuel and refill it?
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:45 PM   #4
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinandy View Post
I had an old Dart with the 318, the small white resistor on the fire wall almost put me in the looney bin...

I would go ahead and replace it as part of the tune up..

Best of luck with your "new" car
cool. good to know that it could just be that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awshux View Post
Bad gas? Water in the fuel? How long has it been sitting? Did you drain the fuel and refill it?
It's been sitting two years sans gasoline. I added about two gallons into it today.

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
| DOORLESS IN A 97+ | D44 SWAP | REBUILDING A CV DRIVESHAFT | HOME-BREWED CENTER CONSOLE
Unread 02-10-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
EmbarkChief

The arrow on the fuel filter should point in the direction the fuel is going. FROM the pump TO the carb....
EmbarkChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:01 PM   #6
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmbarkChief View Post
The arrow on the fuel filter should point in the direction the fuel is going. FROM the pump TO the carb....
Yes, but when it was the "correct" way, the filter wasn't filling. It would cough fuel.

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:06 PM   #7
Neener Neener
1993 YJ Wrangler 

It's junk. I'll give you a dollar for it to save you any future headaches.

[QUOTE=Al The Killer]My monkey likes your monkey[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Grape Ape] Just go get one and lick it when you get the urge. [/QUOTE]

[url]www.immigrationcounters.com[/url]
Neener Neener is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
TJgreg
2005 TJ Wrangler 

timing is probably off.

Put a timing light on it and see what you get.
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
ynotyj

I drove my parent's 79 Volare in high school. It had that engine. Seems to me the regulator crapped out on me once. My dad and I swapped out the coil on th side of the road before we figured it out.

Of course, that was over 20 years of occasionally heavy drinking ago. It all appears a bit fuzzy.

edit: I see you're getting 12V at the coil. Nevermind

His: 1996 ZJ, 4.0 Selec-Trac
Hers: 1993 ZJ Woody 5.2

Ours: 2004 Chrysler Town & Country Touring. Sweet.

Previous Jeeps: 86 XJ, 92 XJ, 95 YJ, 87 YJ

Last edited by ynotyj; 02-10-2008 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: re read op
ynotyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:14 PM   #10
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Check your timing, replace your points with one of these: http://www.pertronix.com/prod/ig/ignitor/default.aspx, make sure that your ballast functioning properly, check your dwell.
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:17 PM   #11
Nuthin
Curses! Foiled again!!

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Those resistors will drive you NUTS! Don't ask how I know...

CA car? EGR valve is clear and the tranny modulator is working right?
--You're doing it wrong. - Cause --I don't care. At least I'm doing it. - AKABOB
"The minute you hear ‘freedom’ and ‘democracy’, watch out…because in a truly free nation, no one has to tell you you’re free.” Jacque Fresco

Tread Lightly - Stay the Trail
Wardrobe by Levi, makeup by Chance, hairstyle by Wrangler
Nuthin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 08:26 PM   #12
sharpie
go to driveautogear.com!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuthin View Post
Those resistors will drive you NUTS! Don't ask how I know...

CA car? EGR valve is clear and the tranny modulator is working right?
I haven't checkd the EGR or the trans modulator. Unfortunately, they don't seem to have manuals for 71 Dodge Darts readily available, I have to order one.

- Brian
Drive Auto Gear
Drive Auto Gear Website

Like us on Facebook!

XJ Writeups:
Unread 02-10-2008, 09:28 PM   #13
gamble71

http://rodderscorner.informe.com/ bunch of hot rodders.... after they make fun of your 6cyl they'll be able to tell ya anything ya wanna know
gamble71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 10:44 PM   #14
carracer
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
As you may know, I just bought my Demon with a 225cid slant six yesterday. Since then, I've tried to get it started:

new coil, test light lights at coil but no spark from coil-distributor wire or spark plug wires.
new distributor cap, rotor, points, condenser, and spark plugs. wires are on order to be here tomorrow.

new FRAM G2 fuel filter with flow arrow (I think?) pointing to fuel pump (but filter is filling, whereas otherwise it was not)

new battery

it almost started earlier today. sounded like it detonated, but stupidly I let go of the ignition (habit). after that, it went back to not starting

I don't think it's bad wiring (other than plug wires) I haven't gapped the points, but I think that it would require spark from the coil to make a difference?

I have been told it could be the resistor, which I will replace tomorrow, but could it be anything else? I've also hit the carb with carb cleaner and gasoline, and still no start.
If you have voltage going to the coil but no spark from the coil wire you most likely have the Points installed incorrectly (grounded ) or gapped incorrectly ("I haven't gapped the points"), either closed all the time or open all the time. The Ballast resister probably should be replaced not because it is bad("because I am getting 12V to the coil."), but, because it could go bad at any time. Also carry a spare. The action of the points opening from a ground position is what collapses the electrical field inside the primary side of the coil to create the spark from the secondary side of the coil. The slant six is difficult to work on the distributer as you most likely have found. Spend a couple of c-notes to convert to electronic ignition.
carracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-10-2008, 10:57 PM   #15
Matt Gertsch
www.lp.org

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carracer View Post
If you have voltage going to the coil but no spark from the coil wire you most likely have the Points installed incorrectly (grounded ) or gapped incorrectly ("I haven't gapped the points"), either closed all the time or open all the time. The Ballast resister probably should be replaced not because it is bad("because I am getting 12V to the coil."), but, because it could go bad at any time. Also carry a spare. The action of the points opening from a ground position is what collapses the electrical field inside the primary side of the coil to create the spark from the secondary side of the coil. The slant six is difficult to work on the distributer as you most likely have found. Spend a couple of c-notes to convert to electronic ignition.
What I said, only I used way less words.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.