Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Hummers? :)

2K views 35 replies 25 participants last post by  cptn_mrgn78 
#1 ·
I'm just curious as to what other Jeepers think of Hummers..

Compared to a Jeep Wrangler/CJ, how do they compare offroad?

I do not know much about them. I think they are kind of neat, but not something I'd want to own... if I aquired one somehow I'd probably just resell it =)

#4 · (Edited)
The H1s are pretty good for what they do. They are more capable than Jeeps in some enviroments. Like driving across a desert while being shot at. Its biggest limitation is its size. Now the H2 is a different story all together. Its a status symbol. 35s and the ground clearance of a stock Wrangler.:rolleyes:

#5 ·
I agree completly with the Captain on the H1s :D

for the H2s they don't get the credit they deserve tho. Unlike the H1 the H2 has a solid rear axle giving it an advantage over it in some situations. Also the H2 was the 1st Hummer to come standard with the Eaton electronic locker. In most situations it will out perform the H1 and do so in greater comfort ;)

#6 ·
They blow...

Just my 2cents, my wifes uncle has one, hes 50 and for him I am sure its a midlife status BS thing... I think they are freaking ugly, and they get uglier each time I see one.

I drove military hummers in the army... I loved em, I shake my head every time I see an H2 though.

#7 ·
u4ea said:
I drove military hummers in the army... I loved em, I shake my head every time I see an H2 though.
Gotta wonder what old military vets think of the Civilian-ized Jeep's, especially the all plastic TJ's. To contrast, we are driving the H2s of their generation.

The H1 was designed to run over a mine and protect the occupants.. (while being shot at) I don't remember seeing this on the H2 paperwork, it's just a uglier Ford Excursion. Owen shares my love for H2's because I have sooooo much to give. :D

#9 ·
I think the old guys who drove Jeeps in the military understand that their Jeeps had to be barebones. The military hummers are barebones compared to civilian hummmers.

I had old Marine (WWII Vet. It said so on his hat) tell me that I had a nice Jeep but it wasn't as nice as his when he was in the Corp. I told him I agree with him.

The only military Jeep that sucks is the M151 (aka the Mutt). I'll take my TJ over them any day.

#12 ·
Were did you here that the H1 isn't being produced? Maybe the civilian version isn't being produced any more but I pretty sure that the military hummer will continued to be produced. Maybe in different version like the military Jeeps.

#13 ·
Obviously you can't compare an H2 to a Jeep ... two completely different animals. But comparing it to a Tahoe, I think they are pretty damn cool (relative to the boring-arse tahoe).

So given a choice between the H2 and a Tahoe, I'd pick the H2. It's big, it's heavy, but it will do better offroad than a tahoe or any other full size IMO. It's a lot of show, very pricey, and gas guzzler but it's not a worthless piece-o-crap like most Ford offerings with their independent suspensions and 0 clearance.

I like it.

#14 ·
To clarify, I was just talking about the H2 as a vehicle and the design choices they've made. I totally agree that most buyers are going for the look and status symbol ... so in that sense, they totally suck.

I see about 10 H2's a day around here. In the past few months, I have only seen ONE that seemd like it had been offroad.

#16 ·
I love hummers - especially the H2!

if not for them I wouldn't be laughin my *** off everytime I read the H2RT! and then getting to laugh at the look on their faces when they see my stickers!

#17 ·
i remember one of my teachers a few years back was in the army, a ranger in fact. He had pics of his hummer when they came back form some patrol. Thye thing was swiss cheese no glass anymore bullet holes everywhere engine smokin. it was awesome looking. Id take a bare bones hummer any day. I dont think the plasma screens or suede in a h2 take that.

#18 ·
cptn_mrgn78 said:
Were did you here that the H1 isn't being produced? Maybe the civilian version isn't being produced any more but I pretty sure that the military hummer will continued to be produced. Maybe in different version like the military Jeeps.
I just kinda figured, I mean when a newer model comes out on most vehicles production on the old model stops right? I don't know...

#19 ·
awachwhiteboy said:

I just kinda figured, I mean when a newer model comes out on most vehicles production on the old model stops right? I don't know...
If you're refering to the H3 - it will be a smaller cheaper version of the Sport Futility Vehicle H2...they will continue to make all 3, H1 - H2 - H3.

The idea is to help inflate the egos of the less fortunate souls who are running around in KIAs! should compete with the grand cherokee class of vehicle.

of course this is all just hearsay!;)

#20 ·
Hummers are quickly becomming the Land Rover, Range Rover vehicles of society. They're a complete statis symbol. Not a one of them Land Rover, Range Rover or H2 are worth a damm off-road compared to the jeep rubicon or a jeep thats been slightly modified. If you want to show off your wealth and impress people with your expensive grocery getter then the H2 is for you, if you want to go on adventures stick with the jeep. I don't even think the H2's you've seen on the road have even seen a dirt road ever.

owen you stole my jeep clubs logo!:p

#21 ·
awachwhiteboy said:

H1s are still being produced. I have an 03' H1 poster on my wall straight from GM. :)

#22 ·
TotalJeep said:
Hummers are quickly becomming the Land Rover, Range Rover vehicles of society. They're a complete statis symbol. Not a one of them Land Rover, Range Rover or H2 are worth a damm off-road compared to the jeep rubicon or a jeep thats been slightly modified. If you want to show off your wealth and impress people with your expensive grocery getter then the H2 is for you, if you want to go on adventures stick with the jeep. I don't even think the H2's you've seen on the road have even seen a dirt road ever.

owen you stole my jeep clubs logo!:p
Becareful. There are some Defender 90s that will put Jeeps to shame.;)

#23 ·
cptn_mrgn78 said:

Becareful. There are some Defender 90s that will put Jeeps to shame.;)
I actually think the defender is pretty cool, I see lots of em modified to run trails - but they take a pretty penny to get trail ready. there are 2-3 in San Antonio that are running on 33s.

#25 ·
Hmmm

I'm kinda an old timer that posts now and then on these boards... but here is my recent story about the good old H2....

"Hey guys,"... as he pulls up next to us (3 TJ's and a 84 CJ) "mind if I tag along?"

As we all look at each other in not only amazment but just plan dumbfounded look.."Sure," we all said as a group "you are more then welcome to tag along."

After getting to know this new comer to our stomping grounds we learned he had just inherieted a crap load of money and we were looking at what he spent it on. One question came from Jeff.... "You don't mind getting that thing a tad dirty and adding a few extra features to that brand new beast you got there do ya?"

"New features?" came the reply.

As the day went by and we played follow the leader through rougher and rougher grounds learned and he (the new comer) learned what Jeff ment by new features. When the vehicle left it had 3 pieces of sheet metal that were straight and had been winched out 4 different times.

Our new found friend know owns a 2002 TJ and the hummer sits at the dealer waiting to be fixed. He has told us that he intends to sell it once it is finished being repaired.

Lesson learned that just because the money is there doesn't mean it is better? Or just may he might have learned what "It's a Jeep Thing... you wouldn't understand." truly means.

#26 ·
Sorry, I actually like H1's, to me this is just playing around, same with landrovers/landcrusiers...eventually, when I'm more refined I will want a landrover.

The one thing that I really like about hummers is the CTIS system...anyone know how that is rigged up?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.