Hummer salesman - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Hummer salesman

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-05-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
tcourdin

Hummer salesman

I'll probably be beaten senseless for even stopping by the car lot and looking at an H2.....anyway, I thought I would check one out for the Wife this morning, they have some good rebates on the 2006 models. The first thing I notice is the Hummers do not post the mpg on the sticker? I thought that was a law? I ask the salesman how many mpg they get and he didnt want to say but finally he says I gotta tell you, they get 10!!! I already knew I didnt want it after that, but he keeps trying to push it on me then, so he says you know, it has 1000 ft lbs of torque! Im like, there is no way that it has that, my diesel is only 650 ft lbs of torque. So he says well, thats in 4wd low that it puts out 1000 ft lbs of torque! WTF! He kept telling me how awesome it is off road and wanted me to take it on their "off road track". All I kept saying is I have a Jeep we use for that, it wouldnt be off road at all.

88 Wrangler, Rebuilt I6, NV3550,Atlas 2,B&M Shifter,38/38 Weber, Skyjacker Lift & Nitro Shocks & Stabilizer, Black Diamond Discos, 35 " Regul MT's & Outlaw 2 Alum Wheels, 4.88 Gears, Dana 35 & Super 35 kit & Detroit Soft Locker, Dana 30 & Superior Axles & Detroit Soft Locker & No Disco, SRC Front & Rear Bumpers, SRC Side Armor, Warn XD 9000 I Winch & In Cab Controls, OR Fab Tire & Can Carrier, Rock Hard 4x4 Full Cage, Hood Rack & Hi Lift & AX, Outland Seats, KC & Silverstar.
tcourdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 11:40 AM   #2
KIROUAC228

I hate damn car salesmen!! I had this 1986 Nissan pickup all jacked up like 5 years ago, it was mint, but in the eyes of a saleman, I guess it looked beat. I went to a toyota dealer and was looking at some new Tacomas and this guy came out and the first thing he said was "are you sure you can afford that?" I **** myself! I went home and cried to daddy and he let me take his H1 in (4 door pick-up style diesel) and I went straight back to the same guy and he was like, "So, do you want to take this truck home today?" Bastards!
KIROUAC228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
XJ99
Aviator Brew

2006 XK Commander 

I would have taken it on their offroad track.

I did the H2 offroad track in my XJ when it was bone stock.
Unread 09-05-2006, 11:56 AM   #4
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KIROUAC228
I hate damn car salesmen!! I had this 1986 Nissan pickup all jacked up like 5 years ago, it was mint, but in the eyes of a saleman, I guess it looked beat. I went to a toyota dealer and was looking at some new Tacomas and this guy came out and the first thing he said was "are you sure you can afford that?" I **** myself! I went home and cried to daddy and he let me take his H1 in (4 door pick-up style diesel) and I went straight back to the same guy and he was like, "So, do you want to take this truck home today?" Bastards!
When I was a car salesman I would always ask that question because people get pissed off and show you that they can afford it. People would come in and just start asking prices without even looking at the vehicles and I would say if you have to ask you can't afford it.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 12:02 PM   #5
909Jeeper
1984 CJ7 

What the salesman meant to say was that the HUMMER does have 1000ft of torque if you combine all 3 models together

h1=520
h2=325
h3=242

total=1087ft lbs of torque
Unread 09-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #6
ltmke11
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I looked at an H3 last month, wasnt really serious about getting one. the wife bought a hybrid, and I was going to drive her old durango and split mileage between the jeep and the durango,

but I was going to see for ****s and giggles what kind of trade in I could get, but I ultimately just couldnt see an in-line 5 being able to haul our boats long distances like I can with the durango(gas sucking 5.9L V-8). plus the durango is paid for so I passed. It wasnt a bad riding vehicle, the H3, though, and I enjoyed wasting an hour of the salesmans time and then walking away......
ltmke11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 12:15 PM   #7
Texan4life
2004 LJ Wrangler 

If I were to buy a Hummer, I would buy it used. Depreciation is massive on H2s. Since gas has gone up, people are almost giving them away.

When I am serious about car shopping, I usually underdress. I want to see how the salesman treats me. It's harder now since I am older. Anybody my age can usually afford a new car, so salesmen always treat me nice. I usually act like I will be stretching my paycheck to buy a car. I'm hoping it will make them come down a little easier. I usually make comparisons to competing models to let them know that I might go elsewhere. Some salesmen may see through me, but some won't. I try to go with a younger salesman. They will typically go lower because they are trying to get established in the business and they don't have as many mouths to feed at home.
Unread 09-05-2006, 12:18 PM   #8
ltmke11
1999 TJ Wrangler 

it also helps to get the $ before hand, and tell the salesman you are going to write a check for $______ amount, I dont think they get a commision based on the interest on the loan, sure the rich dude that owns the dealership might want you to finance, but the salesman just wants his measly commision.

it sucked when my wife bought the hybrid (prius) people were on waiting list here in Atlanta, and there was basically no haggling

the good news is that she went 1100 miles on $37 bucks....
ltmke11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:22 PM   #9
Patton
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry Al
it also helps to get the $ before hand, and tell the salesman you are going to write a check for $______ amount, I dont think they get a commision based on the interest on the loan, sure the rich dude that owns the dealership might want you to finance, but the salesman just wants his measly commision.
The exact opposite is true. The make big money on the back end of the deal so they will make money off of you financing. The salesmanager is actually the one that sets the price on the vehicle. The salesperson has little influence.

Last edited by Patton; 09-05-2006 at 03:07 PM..
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:31 PM   #10
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

we have a ferrari delaership by our house. try getting a salesmans attention in there to ask em about the new model as a high schooler pulling up in a Wrangler. Still fun to look around in there, bastids
Originally Posted by cresso
Quick dana 35 test: kick one of the rear tires. If the axle breaks, it's a 35
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
WhtJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:33 PM   #11
RollerHman
BMW drivers are ****s

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhtJeep
we have a ferrari delaership by our house. try getting a salesmans attention in there to ask em about the new model as a high schooler pulling up in a Wrangler. Still fun to look around in there, bastids
county line between university and broadway? yup, dont take to kindly to us young'ns
Colorado Jeep Club Member #46

99 XJ
98 BMW 328is
RollerHman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
drummerwookie

b4 i got my first jeep, i was also considering a 96-98 4-runner 4WD that i could wheel every now and then also, so i test drove a 97 limited, nice truck, more power then i thought it would have, and quicker then i figured it would be, so i get back to the yota dealer and also told him i was considering a jeep bc my main thing i was looking for was something that could be my DD and take me any where offroad i wanted to go....he looked at me and goes "jeeps arent **** man", i was like, thats a great attitude for a car salesman working on commision.....i then told him, if they are ****, how come my dad got one brand new in 87 which now has over 265k on the odometer without ever having the engine rebuilt.....he was a friggin tool.....i left and never went back..3 weeks later, i fell in love with my first jeep and have never been sorry about my purchase..lol

when i got my rubi, the salesman was actually a decent guy...it wasnt the fake kind..but, he was mistaken on a couple things with it, but i already new all i needed to know about it, so i let them slide..i would recomment that dealer to anybody, Jake Sweeney of Cincinnatti

gone, but never forgotten: 2006 rubicon, 1998 ZJ, 1995 YJ 4.0

metalhead jeep club #4
drummerwookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:40 PM   #13
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollerHman
county line between university and broadway? yup, dont take to kindly to us young'ns
that would be the one. I loved that place. They always had the nicest wheels. even the lotus outside that used to be beat to hell from all the gravel on the roads. I take it youve been there?
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:42 PM   #14
RollerHman
BMW drivers are ****s

1999 XJ Cherokee 

of course ive been there. drove by it all the time, just had to stop in once. i lived at broadway/lucent so real close to broadway/county line
Colorado Jeep Club Member #46

99 XJ
98 BMW 328is
RollerHman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2006, 02:50 PM   #15
WhtJeep
2008 WK 

no kidding, i lived off highlands ranch pkwy/south ranch road. so did you go to vista or t-ridge?
XboxGT - The Mad Med1c

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.