Hows the Snow by you!? - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > Hows the Snow by you!?

Dana 30/ Dana 44 Chromoly shaft Kits- ECGSFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201

Unread 12-19-2009, 11:26 PM   #46
Douglas S.

I also have a little chuckle when a skiff of snow shuts entire states down.

I have never, in my entire life, had a "snow day" at school or elsewhere.

Unread 12-19-2009, 11:43 PM   #47
RussoGuitar
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S. View Post
I also have a little chuckle when a skiff of snow shuts entire states down.

I have never, in my entire life, had a "snow day" at school or elsewhere.
I dont think it "shuts down" any state in the north east, its pretty clear that people like to go out when it snows.. hence all the excitement. I have had plenty of snow days back in high school though, many times due to ice on the roads plaguing school buses... also the administration has undoubtedly motivated to call snow days to get out and enjoy the snow, and just have a day off. They always allowed about 8 days or so in the school calender for cancelations.. I would hate having never had a snow day, some of the best winter times were had on snow days... We used walk to the school bus lot on cold snow storm nights and unplug all the block heaters so we'd get delayed openings or possibly a cancelation.
RussoGuitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2009, 11:56 PM   #48
minihawk1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Haven't Got any and nor do I think Oklahoma will get snow so far we just got a thin layer of ice on our cars thats it.
minihawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #49
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxxflhrci View Post
20" here. My YJ is parked nice and cozy under my carport and ain't moving till it melts and we get some rain to wash the salt off the roads.
But you are depriving your Jeep and yourself of so much fun! There's nothing like getting it out in the fresh powder! If only the damn plows didn't come along and wreck my fun. I plan to get up bright and early tomorrow morning and look for unplowed roads to go play in..I had a grand time today driving around in the snow and taking in the sights. The deeper the snow, the more the TJ likes it.

Yes, there's salt and all that, but that's what those nice car washes with the power sprays are for.

Looks like we are looking at about 15-20" here at the Jersey Shore. It's been snowing since 7 am this morning and it's still coming down, but a lot lighter. Hopefully we'll get more for Christmas!

Yellow Jeep Club Member #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper111
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Dirty Backroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #50
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

You'd like it here - they don't put salt on the roads. There's no point in it.
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #51
remery829
2007 JK Wrangler 

everythings white. going out to the glacier tomorrow, i'll post some pics up after

[CENTER][B]vvvthis is what they don't tell you about LCGvvv[/B][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=]...I went with the lcg method but its never ending be because once you fix one thing something else breaks or needs upgrading...[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][B][U][COLOR="yellow"]SUPPORT OUR TROOPS[/COLOR][/U][/B][/CENTER]
[URL="http://www.cityprofile.com/forum/login.php?do=logout&logouthash=1283292679-9a7df2f9eebd07dc48f628e4fb5cbc1881910fd4"]City Profile[/URL]
remery829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:08 AM   #52
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
You'd like it here - they don't put salt on the roads. There's no point in it.

Yep, I've heard of places where they don't salt the roads at all. It just packs down and you drive on it. Sounds good to me.

The worst is when they salt the roads and the snow turns to slush and then it all ices over.

Quote:
Nothing like going topless with some Kid Rock blasting looking down on the rice boys with their dropped Civics wondering what Japanese steel would look like under the Mickey Thompsons.
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:22 AM   #53
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Backroads View Post
Yep, I've heard of places where they don't salt the roads at all. It just packs down and you drive on it. Sounds good to me.
Yep. It's actually better if they don't plow the road because the plow just removes all the snow and leaves the ice. If the snow is there, you get more friction.
Unread 12-20-2009, 12:31 AM   #54
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboarder View Post
Yep. It's actually better if they don't plow the road because the plow just removes all the snow and leaves the ice. If the snow is there, you get more friction.
I agree completely! I find that driving on a road that's been recently plowed to be much more dangerous/difficult. There's nothing for the tires to grip and the surface is very slick.

The only time I've ever spun out in the Jeep is when I was driving uphill in Vermont and hit black ice on a recently plowed road. I have yet to have any problems in the deep stuff. I guess I like to drive my Jeep in the same type of snow I like to ski on.

Quote:
Unread 12-20-2009, 04:49 AM   #55
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Snow is fun; ice is scary.
We get more ice than snow here.

The reason that some cities "shut down" is because nobody is prepared for snow in them. Summer tires turn into hockey pucks when the mercury drops below 40 degrees.

I have a dedicated set of wheels and snow tires for my MINI; it can run circles around my Jeep on ice.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #56
MarkkInNJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeahhh.. if they woudnt of plowed i could of had as much fun as i did last nightt1 it was a blast! i absolutely hate the cold!!! but i like playing in it. Jackson NJ tops off with the most snow in NJ. i think the weather channel said 23 inches!! Now its time to get some picturres up of playing in this white stufff.
Unread 12-20-2009, 07:13 AM   #57
MarkkInNJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by remery829 View Post
everythings white. going out to the glacier tomorrow, i'll post some pics up after
That'll be cool dude. i want to see haha
Unread 12-20-2009, 07:15 AM   #58
MarkkInNJ
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
We get more ice than snow here.

The reason that some cities "shut down" is because nobody is prepared for snow in them. Summer tires turn into hockey pucks when the mercury drops below 40 degrees.

I have a dedicated set of wheels and snow tires for my MINI; it can run circles around my Jeep on ice.

Yeahhh my friend drove up from Tennennesse in his moms truck which had summer tires in it.. he slid off into a gaurdrail on the high way.. haha
Unread 12-20-2009, 07:47 AM   #59
Dirty Backroads
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Summer tires turn into hockey pucks when the mercury drops below 40 degrees.

Most people don't realize the importance of tires in any application, but especially in snow. Snow tires are more than just deep tread, they are formulated to actually soften up and grip in the COLD, as opposed to high performance summer tires. You can turn a sports car into a capable handler in snow (provided you have clearance) if you get the right tires. 4WD won't do much for you in snow if the tires harden up and pack up with snow/ice. Traction is the name of the game.

My Jeep has both good tires and clearance so now I'm going out to play! Love watching the neighbor get stuck in the middle of the road, tires spinning away on his Lincoln.

Quote:
Unread 12-20-2009, 08:03 AM   #60
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Backroads View Post
Traction is the name of the game.
Thanks for clearing up that deep mystery.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.