How to save an old house? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > How to save an old house?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 08-25-2013, 04:27 PM   #1
DustinS
2011 JK Wrangler 

How to save an old house?

I recently found out a grand old Victorian in need of repair has gone up for sale near me. I just bought my house, so I'm in no financial shape to take on another mortgage. I desperately want to save this house, though.

Does anyone know of contests/crowdfunding/other ways to accomplish this? It's CHEAP for the sq/ft, and the interior is amazingly unmolested.

House is Here

Unread 08-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #2
FleshEater
2014 JK Wrangler 

That wood work is gorgeous.

If you had the money to buy it, you could work on it yourself. It wouldn't matter how long it'd take. Question is, what's the foundation and framing like? I'm sure the floors are sagged.
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
terrasmak
2007 WK 

$60k, that's like $325 a month
Unread 08-26-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
MATT99TJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you really want that old house saved, try to get info about it to that "Rehab Addict" host. I think it's on DIY network. My wife watches it and all I've caught is that the lady is nuts about keeping as much of the old character as possible. I thought she was in Detroit but my wife told me one of the episodes was in Wisconsin somewhere.
MATT99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 10:32 AM   #5
bhikku
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Maybe get it on the historical site roster if it's old enough or something substantial happened there...
Utah Jeep Crew #152
US Navy 04-08
bhikku is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2013, 11:29 AM   #6
Burlbook48
Web Wheeler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Damn. What's the neighborhood like? Is this an oasis in the middle of a desert of deserted homes? Maybe find a couple/few like-minded people to partner up with? MOVE the house to a better local? (yes, it can be done) Lots of options, up to and including selling you new place to buy this one (sort of a "calling your bluff" kinda thing, meaning "How bad do you want to save it?")

Been there, way back when... An eccentric, beautiful, over-the-top 1800's Victorian was BURNED DOWN because no one wanted to save it. A ".gov-Ugly" monstrosity of a medical building was put up in it's place, but I was too young to buy a house back then (early teens) and the home of a local painter was saved instead. Sigh....

Politics.... get someone involved who has some push, and convince him/her that saving the "cultural heritage" of this house, or some other BS, will help get that person re-elected. A tsunami of cash will flow to save that house. Sucks, but that's the truth.
Unread 08-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #7
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Tell us more.

There's lots of those around here. Of course, all the beautiful interior stuff will have been painted over, but the structure and architecture isn't uncommon. Most nobody wants to touch them because they're in bad neighborhoods. The ones that are in good neighborhoods have been beautifully restored.

Why do you care about this random old house in the ghetto?
Unread 09-06-2013, 08:53 AM   #8
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Love the staircase but I would be scared to death to live in that house...looks like the house out of "The Conjuring".

It does have that look about it though and in the right hands would def be a beautiful house to have and for 60k....could def make some money on that.
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #9
ukjeeper
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
$60k
+

Quote:
many possibilities exist for the ambitious at heart
+

Quote:
being sold as is so well qualified buyers only due to condition

=

Quote:
it's fawked
ukjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-06-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
Indy

You've got 6 figures worth of repairs there. More if you plan on going with refurbed antique items.

Matches on the other hand, are cheap.

Never underestimate the power of stupid.
Indy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #11
1coopgt
2005 KJ Liberty 

Sadly it's a money pit . Looks like the owner was trying to fix it up and ran out of cash. It has a lot of potential but you need a lot of cash to fix that baby up.
1coopgt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 12:09 AM   #12
Davetha

2003 TJ Wrangler 

What are the comps like in that area? It looks like you're going to need 50-150k to fix it up depending on what you want to do with it, and there could be unknowns.
Davetha is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #13
Kevin108
2000 XJ Cherokee 

opdisappearedwhat?
Unread 09-17-2013, 12:11 AM   #14
Lamees

You can exchange your home with it through a property management company or an agent. Just sale out your home and buy this one, it is a good option. Otherwise apply for a mortgage.

Property Management Robina

Last edited by Lamees; 09-20-2013 at 11:02 PM..
Lamees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #15
Balvar24
1979 CJ7 

Emotions + money = Broke

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.