JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/)
-   -   How to save an old house? (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f7/how-save-old-house-1566986/)

DustinS 08-25-2013 04:27 PM

How to save an old house?

I recently found out a grand old Victorian in need of repair has gone up for sale near me. I just bought my house, so I'm in no financial shape to take on another mortgage. I desperately want to save this house, though.

Does anyone know of contests/crowdfunding/other ways to accomplish this? It's CHEAP for the sq/ft, and the interior is amazingly unmolested.

House is Here

FleshEater 08-25-2013 06:49 PM

That wood work is gorgeous.

If you had the money to buy it, you could work on it yourself. It wouldn't matter how long it'd take. Question is, what's the foundation and framing like? I'm sure the floors are sagged.

terrasmak 08-26-2013 07:00 PM

$60k, that's like $325 a month

MATT99TJ 08-26-2013 10:19 PM

If you really want that old house saved, try to get info about it to that "Rehab Addict" host. I think it's on DIY network. My wife watches it and all I've caught is that the lady is nuts about keeping as much of the old character as possible. I thought she was in Detroit but my wife told me one of the episodes was in Wisconsin somewhere.

bhikku 08-27-2013 10:32 AM

Maybe get it on the historical site roster if it's old enough or something substantial happened there...

Burlbook48 08-27-2013 11:29 AM

Damn. What's the neighborhood like? Is this an oasis in the middle of a desert of deserted homes? Maybe find a couple/few like-minded people to partner up with? MOVE the house to a better local? (yes, it can be done) Lots of options, up to and including selling you new place to buy this one (sort of a "calling your bluff" kinda thing, meaning "How bad do you want to save it?")

Been there, way back when... An eccentric, beautiful, over-the-top 1800's Victorian was BURNED DOWN because no one wanted to save it. A ".gov-Ugly" monstrosity of a medical building was put up in it's place, but I was too young to buy a house back then (early teens) and the home of a local painter was saved instead. Sigh....

Politics.... get someone involved who has some push, and convince him/her that saving the "cultural heritage" of this house, or some other BS, will help get that person re-elected. A tsunami of cash will flow to save that house. Sucks, but that's the truth.

Kevin108 08-28-2013 06:58 PM

Tell us more.

There's lots of those around here. Of course, all the beautiful interior stuff will have been painted over, but the structure and architecture isn't uncommon. Most nobody wants to touch them because they're in bad neighborhoods. The ones that are in good neighborhoods have been beautifully restored.

Why do you care about this random old house in the ghetto?

Cherokeekid88 09-06-2013 08:53 AM

Love the staircase but I would be scared to death to live in that house...looks like the house out of "The Conjuring".

It does have that look about it though and in the right hands would def be a beautiful house to have and for 60k....could def make some money on that.

ukjeeper 09-06-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

$60k
+

Quote:

many possibilities exist for the ambitious at heart
+

Quote:

being sold as is so well qualified buyers only due to condition

=

Quote:

it's fawked

Indy 09-06-2013 10:56 AM

You've got 6 figures worth of repairs there. More if you plan on going with refurbed antique items.

Matches on the other hand, are cheap.

1coopgt 09-08-2013 04:01 PM

Sadly it's a money pit . Looks like the owner was trying to fix it up and ran out of cash. It has a lot of potential but you need a lot of cash to fix that baby up.

Davetha 09-10-2013 12:09 AM

What are the comps like in that area? It looks like you're going to need 50-150k to fix it up depending on what you want to do with it, and there could be unknowns.

Kevin108 09-10-2013 03:05 PM

opdisappearedwhat?

Lamees 09-17-2013 12:11 AM

You can exchange your home with it through a property management company or an agent. Just sale out your home and buy this one, it is a good option. Otherwise apply for a mortgage.

Property Management Robina

Balvar24 09-17-2013 10:52 AM

Emotions + money = Broke

The time now is 06:26 AM.