How RockAuto.com screwed me... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > General > General Discussion > How RockAuto.com screwed me...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Unread 07-24-2006, 11:00 AM   #1
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

How RockAuto.com screwed me...

So my AC compressor went bad. And unfortunately i could only get one from the dealer for around $600. Being a poor college student, this was not an option i was looking for. And in Houston you HAVE to have AC if you dont want to sweat nonstop. So I find RockAuto.com and place an order for one of their compressors, ACDelco to be exact. With shipping the total was $430. And it took 3 weeks to get it, i was out of town so i really didnt care at the time of how long it took. So i finally get it and have my mechanic install it. Works good for about a week, then its blowing hot again. So pump in the die and find its leaking out of the compressor. I called rockauto and all they can do is warranty it out. Which means i have to pay to remove it, ship it back, and wait another 3 weeks to get another compressor. They wouldnt help me out at all with the shipping to get it here faster, and they even charged me more because the price went up since then.

Just do yourself a favor and dont buy anything from them, cause now i have to be miserable from the heat of Houston and all of these extra expenses.

Nickb1907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:25 AM   #2
rowdy1
2002 WJ 

How the hell do they get off charging you more on a warranted item????????? You really need to talk to a manager there.
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:30 AM   #3
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

This is what I posted to the same thread you started on JU:

AFAIK, Rockauto is a drop shipper. What you explained above is generally how that type of business operates. It's unfortunate that you had to wait and the part failed, but it's not their direct responsibility to make and move parts. They may (or may not) have been able to make you aware of the lead time.

FWIW, I've personally had great luck with them, they're very fast and cheaper than local parts dealers by a wide margin.

Tom
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:34 AM   #4
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommaho
This is what I posted to the same thread you started on JU:

AFAIK, Rockauto is a drop shipper. What you explained above is generally how that type of business operates. It's unfortunate that you had to wait and the part failed, but it's not their direct responsibility to make and move parts. They may (or may not) have been able to make you aware of the lead time.

FWIW, I've personally had great luck with them, they're very fast and cheaper than local parts dealers by a wide margin.

Tom
i would think they would be a little more helpful instead of charging me more for a warrantied product and with shipping since it will take 3 weeks to get it.
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:35 AM   #5
scottcha

I've had excellent luck with rockauto.

You are crazy if an internet shop will pay for an uninstall of an item.

If you paid full price at a dealership or shop, then they would take care of it all for you, most likely.
If you try to save money and buy off the internet, you have to factor in shipping and installation.

[COLOR=White]White Jeep Club member #178[/COLOR]
Colorado Jeepers Club member #7
scottcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcha
I've had excellent luck with rockauto.

You are crazy if an internet shop will pay for an uninstall of an item.

If you paid full price at a dealership or shop, then they would take care of it all for you, most likely.
If you try to save money and buy off the internet, you have to factor in shipping and installation.
i didnt ask for that, just to help ship it here faster or put me in a different one so i could have it faster. Im just having to pay to ship it back to them now and the inflated price of the new compressor. Then whatever the shop is going to charge for removal and reinstall.
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:43 AM   #7
Kentuckyarms
2012 JK Wrangler 

I never had a problem with RockAuto.com. That's too bad you had a bad experience with them. They have served me well.
RE 2" Budget Boost
285/75/16 MT
Kentuckyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:46 AM   #8
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickb1907
i would think they would be a little more helpful instead of charging me more for a warrantied product and with shipping since it will take 3 weeks to get it.
Did they explian what they charged more for? Was it shipping or the price of the part that changed?
Unread 07-24-2006, 11:52 AM   #9
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Did they explian what they charged more for? Was it shipping or the price of the part that changed?
the part, told me it has gone up since i bought the first one. Im also pretty sure im getting screwed on the core charge also since i dont think i will be getting the money back for that either.
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:00 PM   #10
01grander

If its under warranty then it doesnt matter. They are screwing you on that but as far as uninstall they arent doing anything other places wouldnt.
Plenty of Hellas.
01grander is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 12:35 PM   #11
tommaho
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickb1907
the part, told me it has gone up since i bought the first one. Im also pretty sure im getting screwed on the core charge also since i dont think i will be getting the money back for that either.
They aren't really warrantying the part then, they're just selling you a new one and passing the costs back onto you. It sucks, but I don't see you getting the difference back.

Did they ever give you the option of first returning the defect then once it's received (by rockauto or the wholesaler) they'd then ship you the replacement?

Tom
Unread 07-24-2006, 01:03 PM   #12
harleysilo
2004 LJ Wrangler 

It says right on their website that AC/delco is warranting your part, and that all they will do is help you get in contact with them. Why don't you contact them instead, they should replace it.......
harleysilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 01:46 PM   #13
grogie
Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

This is part of getting a better deal on a part... less service. Dealers cost more, but then they usually cover stuff like this. I had a power steering pump go out on a sports car. A new pump was $1,000 (no kidding!), a rebuilt was something like $400. I went with the rebuilt, had the dealer install it, and then it went bad a week later, so the dealer put another rebuilt one in at no charge.

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #14
Nickb1907
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
They aren't really warrantying the part then, they're just selling you a new one and passing the costs back onto you. It sucks, but I don't see you getting the difference back.

Did they ever give you the option of first returning the defect then once it's received (by rockauto or the wholesaler) they'd then ship you the replacement?

Tom
they gave me the option of sending in the old one, warranty it out, then start up the 3 more weeks of waiting to get another one. The whole time my jeep would be down since its needed to be running.

or buy another one and whenever i get that one in send the old one back and refund the 1st purchase.

either way im screwed by almost a month of no AC during the hottest part of the year. And if the compressor didnt die, i wouldnt have any problem with the company. Its just the fact that it did and now im screwed with no real help from them.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.